Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,918,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
That's his personal preference. He is entitled to it.
That's not what I asked you. I am asking your opinion, do you believe it would be racist to ban his girlfriend from associating with black people? Would you do that to your significant other?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,840,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
And if somehow this preference becomes public and everyone associated with the NBA decides they don't want anything to do with him and don't want to associate with him at all or his organization while he owns it, and do everything in their power to make that happen, that's their business too.
I never said it wasn't.

However, I do believe that almost everyone in the NBA had said or thought something that could be taken as racist/sexist/homophobic/hateful. Therefore, I don't think anyone should get too high on their soapbox.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 26,773,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
It might be his opinion, but by definition him not allowing his g/f to associate with African Americans is racism to the highest degree!!
He didn't say that. Can we at least get right what was said...

No Instagram, no bring to the game... anything else he was OK with. Almost like whatever she did on her own, he didn't care... he just did not want to be associated from a personal standpoint.

It's still bad - but let's keep it accurate.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
That's not what I asked you. I am asking your opinion, do you believe it would be racist to ban his girlfriend from associating with black people? Would you do that to your significant other?
That's irrelevant.

I do however find a similarity between what Sterling said and dating/marriage practices in most cultures. Truth be known, I think most people are against their children dating/marrying/having children with someone outside of their race. I will have to research the topic more though.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

No Instagram, no bring to the game... anything else he was OK with. Almost like whatever she did on her own, he didn't care... he just did not want to be associated from a personal standpoint.

I agree let's keep it accurate. So much of what's being said about Sterling is part of a runaway narrative....pretty soon it'll turn into Sterling wants to reinstitute slavery and have his players working on the cotton farms.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That's irrelevant.

I do however find a similarity between what Sterling said and dating/marriage practices in most cultures. Truth be known, I think most people are against their children dating/marrying/having children with someone outside of their race. I will have to research the topic more though.
It is important and relevant because how you are perceiving this situation is much different than most, which is why I am curious as to how you see this. You are bringing up points, while some may be true, they aren't really addressing the main points and that is, this is not the accepted view of the dominant culture in our society. Maybe 40-50 years ago, his mentality would not be viewed this way, but now we are in a society that his views are frowned upon and as a result, it will greatly hurt business. That's why this is a big issue and that is why he is going to get punished.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

I don't see much of a difference. I think we are nitpicking each others comments at this point. Whether he said not associating, not bringing to game, or not putting pictures on Instagram, I MOST of us can agree that he has a problem with black people and that is the narrative.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It is important and relevant because how you are perceiving this situation is much different than most, which is why I am curious as to how you see this. You are bringing up points, while some may be true, they aren't really addressing the main points and that is, this is not the accepted view of the dominant culture in our society. Maybe 40-50 years ago, his mentality would not be viewed this way, but now we are in a society that his views are frowned upon and as a result, it will greatly hurt business. That's why this is a big issue and that is why he is going to get punished.
My personal feelings have no bearing - my only goal is to look at the situation objectively.

And while I don't agree with some views, I will defend someone's right to hold those views - regardless of what popular opinion is. If you suppress thoughts you don't like you may one day have thoughts you do like suppressed.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I don't see much of a difference. I think we are nitpicking each others comments at this point. Whether he said not associating, not bringing to game, or not putting pictures on Instagram, I MOST of us can agree that he has a problem with black people and that is the narrative.
But I think you just highlighted a huge distinction.

He didn't say "I don't like black people and wish none of them would come to my games".

He said: "I wish you (the GF) wouldn't take pictures with blacks and post them on Instagram because people ask me about it".

There is a huge difference there.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,225,846 times
Quote:
My personal feelings have no bearing - my only goal is to look at the situation objectively.

And while I don't agree with some views, I will defend someone's right to hold those views - regardless of what popular opinion is. If you suppress thoughts you don't like you may one day have thoughts you do like suppressed.
agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball