Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times

Advertisements

Spurs vs Heat rematch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Why would anyone want to see the Thunder against the Heat again?

That team has massive weaknesses. All four of the West teams have a shot, but listen....OK won't beat the Clippers. The edge is on the Clippers side. They have a stronger frontcourt, offensively AND defensively. Paul has struggled, but at his worst is still a better decision maker/playmaker/facilitator at crunch time than Westbrook is. And they are better coached. OKC hasn't really showed an ability to win when you take K out of the game, whereas the Clippers can win with Paul having an off-night. That's all on the coaching. Let's get real, the Thunder don't beat Memphis with Z-Bo and that backup point guard (can't spell his name right) playing. There are no excuses in sports, injuries and situations happen, but the Thunder are just 'barely' good enough to beat a lesser-talented, inexperienced-coached, depleted Grizzlies roster. The Clippers are good....Clippers in 6...

On topic, only the Clippers and Spurs can really beat the Heat, with the edge to the Spurs. They WILL NOT lose again if there's a rematch. The Clippers could challenge the Heat, but I feel like it would take a bit of luck for them to win it. It would go 7. The Spurs, however, are--once again--the best, most complete team in basketball....

Portland, too green and inexperienced to truly challenge Miami. And the Thunder, to me, while being the 2nd - best West team in the regular season, are the bottom of the Final Four West teams. They really aren't that good...
I agree with your analysis and assessment here except the Spurs beating the Heat. I want to see a Heat-Spurs rematch, but I would be surprised if the Spurs won that series just because of the amount of the rest the Heat are going to likely have going into the finals and the tough battle Spurs will have to endure just to get there. Portland is no joke. I could definitely see another Game 7 in this matchup. The Spurs experience and execution will ultimately allow them to prevail, but by the time they get to the Heat (after another fight with the Thunder/Clippers winner) they'll be so battered that I'm not sure they'll have enough in the tank for what I'm expecting to be a well-rested Heat team.

I know that Pop manages minutes almost better than any coach and gets rest for his stars and that the Pacers are capable of giving the Heat a very physical series, but I see the Heat cruising and don't see how they are going to get the Spurs best that's required for them to defeat the Heat. Of course the Spurs almost did it last year, so that kind of dismisses my argument. However, the West even seems more brutal than last year while the East seems weaker. Obviously this is all conjecture at this point because there's a long way to go. Enjoy the second round everyone!

Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I agree with your analysis and assessment here. I want to see a Heat-Spurs rematch, but I disagree about the Spurs winning it all if there's a rematch. I would be really surprised if the Spurs defeated the Heat to win the championship just because of the amount of the rest the Heat are going to likely have going into the finals and the tough battle Spurs will have to endure just to get there. Portland is no joke. I could definitely see another Game 7 in this matchup. The Spurs experience and execution will ultimately allow them to prevail, but by the time they get to the Heat (after another fight with the Thunder/Clippers winner) they'll be so battered that I'm not sure they'll have enough in the tank for what I'm expecting to be a well-rested Heat team.

I know that Pop manages minutes almost better than any coach and gets rest for his stars and that the Pacers are capable of giving the Heat a very physical series, but I see the Heat cruising and don't see how they are going to get the Spurs best that's required for them to defeat the Heat. Of course the Spurs almost did it last year, so that kind of dismisses my argument. However, the West even seems more brutal than last year while the East seems weaker. Obviously this is all conjecture at this point because there's a long way to go. Enjoy the second round everyone!
This is my fear. It's astounding how easy a road the Heat have.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM

612 posts, read 843,866 times
If this L.A. team had the Chris Paul pre-menisus removal, they'd actually make the Finals. It'd definitely be a much more interesting match-up, as Clipset would have the better team than Oklahoma City, depth-wise, and even being more top-heavy, with this young CP3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chuckle Westbrick

Old 05-05-2014, 11:59 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
CP3 must've read your post because he just torched OKC.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 AM

612 posts, read 843,866 times
Pauly had a nice game, however context is necessary:

1) He did his damage off of homers. Pauly's not a shooter, that's not his game to live from distance, don't let his percentages fool you. His game is from the mid-range, and in his "prime", got into the paint and was much more fluid off the dribble. His crossover's not what is once was, I just don't see how he's gonna get his points this series, yesterday was obviously an aberration

2) This is one game. Tony Allen will lock him down the rest of the series, Mr. Kia's gonna have to average 30 & 10 in order for Clipset to pull this off.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
On topic, only the Clippers and Spurs can really beat the Heat, with the edge to the Spurs. They WILL NOT lose again if there's a rematch.
Disagree about SA. Heat will beat them again.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Disagree about SA. Heat will beat them again.
I highly doubt that. Spurs have home court this time and Kawhi has another year in the system. It'd be a great matchup but I see the Spurs making up for last year if they meet.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Pauly had a nice game, however context is necessary:

1) He did his damage off of homers. Pauly's not a shooter, that's not his game to live from distance, don't let his percentages fool you. His game is from the mid-range, and in his "prime", got into the paint and was much more fluid off the dribble. His crossover's not what is once was, I just don't see how he's gonna get his points this series, yesterday was obviously an aberration

2) This is one game. Tony Allen will lock him down the rest of the series, Mr. Kia's gonna have to average 30 & 10 in order for Clipset to pull this off.
Context or haterade?

1) CP3 got his homers because OKC defensively didn't know where to hedge. They could chase CP3 out into the perimeter (where CP3 loves to drag your best defenders out into), and then do what he does best and slide the ball into Blake or DJ or Reddick on the wing to get the easy score, OR they could lock down the paint and dare CP3 to make the shots from deep. It's obvious what Scott Brooks choice was, and it's obvious what happens when you leave the best point guard in the league wide open behind the line.

2) Are you high? Tony Allen is a perimeter defender for the GRIZZLIES, not OKC. If you are talking about Westbrook, like I said he can try. The Warriors put their best defensive backcourt starter on CP3 all series long, a guy who had 6 inches of height and reach on CP3, and guess what? CP3 just dished the ball to one of the other half dozen lethal weapons the Clippers have and sent the Dubs home for an early vacation.

Obviously it's one game. But it was the WORST playoff loss in OKC history. Clippers have set the tone. They are going to kick OKC's ass if they don't figure out a way to stop their multi-pronged attack. The Clippers are super deep this year. They are much, much better than OKC in the half court. Heck, OKC is basically an iso-team like the Knicks with Carmelo or Rockets with Harden, except OKC has 2 options, but it's still the same. iso-Durant or iso-Westbrook, everyone else on OKC is basically a role player and opportunity scorer, Ibaka being a prime example.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:14 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Assuming the Miami Heat make it to the NBA Finals, which opponent would you be most interested in seeing them face?

1) Clippers
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Trailblazers
Doesn't matter. Clippers are winning it all this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball