Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Nobody mentioned Kevin McHale or Kevin Garnett at PF. I just don't think there has ever been a big man with a better close in shooting touch than McHale, with the possible exception of Jabbar.

Kevin McHale "The Slippery Eel Mix" - YouTube

If you compare overall stats of Duncan and Garnett they are in the same neighborhood. Duncan was the better rebounder and scorer with averages of 11.1 and 19.9 vs. 10.3 and 18.6 for Garnett. But Garnett averaged 3.9 assists, vs. 3.1 for Duncan.

And these are just averages. KG's best year was probably 2003-4. He averaged 13.9 rebounds, 24.2 points, and 5.0 assists. Duncan's best year was probably 2001. He averaged 12.7 rebounds, 25.5 points and 3.7 assists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Here's my All-Time team:

C: Hakeem Olajuwon
PF: Hakeem Olajuwon
SF: Hakeem Olajuwon
SG: Hakeem Olajuwon
PG: Hakeem Olajuwon

Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
C: Shaq
PF: Karl Malone
SF: Lebron James
SG: Michael Jordan
PG: Magic Johnson

2nd Unit
C: Olajuwon
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Kevin Durant
SG: Kobe Bryant
PG: John Stockton

Old 06-16-2014, 02:08 PM

159 posts, read 575,121 times
Team President:
Pat Riley

General Manager:
Red Auerbach

Head Coach:
Phil Jackson

Assistant Coaches:
Don Nelson
John Wooden
Mike Krzyzewski

Starters:
C Wilt Chamberlain
F Labron James
F Larry Bird
G Magic Johnson
G Michael Jordan (team captain)

2nd string:
C Kareem Abdul Jabbar
F Tim Duncan
F Julius Irving
G John Stockton
G Kobe Bryant

3rd string:
C Hakeem Olajuwon
F Karl Malone
F Charles Barkley
G Oscar Robertson
G Jerry West

Last edited by akwart; 06-16-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 PM

612 posts, read 843,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Uh, the 1980s Lakers weren't just Kareem and Magic - they had guys like Jamaal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, Bob McAdoo, Michael Cooper, James Worthy, and Byron Scott helping out at different times (or in Cooper's case, all of those years) too. Having that kind of supporting cast tends to help a team. I bet Hakeem Olajuwon's teams are more successful if he has the quality of secondary players to play with that Kareem did with the Lakers.

Additionally, the NBA Western Conference had a much deeper pool of good teams in the 1990s than it did in the 1980s.

So you like to measure on what if's I see, not what actually happened. We could play this game with ANY player in history, if this, and if that.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM

I just don't get the love that "Dream" gets, and how anyone can say he's even on the other side of the Pacific of Chamberlain, Alcindor, O'Neal, and Russell.

Hakeem was never a truly dominating rebounder. Yes, he won two rebouning titles, but he was never an elite rebounder, such as Moses, Russell, Rodman, and Wilt. In fact, he was routinely outrebounded in his post-season series, and even by teammates.

His defense has been over-rated as well. Robinson outshot him by a sizeable margin their career H2H's. A 35-36 year old Gilmore, in ten straight games against Hakeem, averaged 24 ppg on... get this... a .677 FG%. A 38-39 year old KAJ, again, in ten straight H2H games, averaged 32 ppg on a .621 FG% (and, overall, a 38-41 year old KAJ outscored a 23-26 year old Hakeem, in their 23 career H2H's, and outshot him by a .607 to .512 margin.) And we know that a 22 year old Shaq averaged 28 ppg on a .595 FG% against a PEAK Hakeem (and just annihilated him overall in their career H2H's.)

He was nowhere near the best shot-blocker of his era, either. "Cement Shoes" Eaton was clearly better. As was Dikembe. In fact, players like Bol and Mourning were his equal.

Scoring? Hakeem never sniffed a scoring title. And he had to take a ton of shots to get close. Even in his own era, Shaq and Robinson were clearly better scorers, and a prime Ewing was his equal. And that is just the list of centers in his era, and doesn't include Jordan, Wilkins, and Karl Malone, either.

FG%? Hakeem currently ranks 69th all-time, and tied with Okafor. His greatest single season mark, of .538 is not even on the all-time top-250 list. And keep in mind that Hakeem played in an era when FG%'s and eFG%'s were at league averages of as high as 50%. He was barely outshooting the league averages, even in his post-seasons (and in some, he wasn't.)

Assists? Among the great "black-holes" of all-time. His career average is only 2.5 apg, and even his post-season average was only 3.2 apg.

And his post-season numbers were skewed by the fact that he was routinely ousted in the first-round.

Winning? He played on five teams, in eighteen seasons, that even won 50 games, with a HIGH of 58 wins. He won one ring, in a post-season in which MJ did not play, and in which he did not face a legitimate center in the first three rounds, and barely hung on to beat a less talented 56-26 Knicks team. In his second title run, he was outplayed by a 22 year old Shaq in the Finals, but was saved by his TEAMMATES who just crushed Shaq's in every facet of the game.

Take away those two seasons, of 92-93, and 93-94, and he was generally MILES behind the winner in total MVP votes. My gawd, the year after he won his only MVP award (94-95), he finished fifth, with 147 total votes (and again, ONE first place votes), and way behind Robinson's 901 (and 73 first place votes.) And then, the year following that one (in which he did wipe the floor with Robinson...but was outplayed by a 22 year old Shaq in the Finals), he finished 4th, with 238 total votes (and again, ONE first place vote), and well behind both MJ's total of 1114 (and 109 first place votes...again, surpassing Hakeem's CAREER total), AND Robinson's 574.

Think about the above for a moment. A PEAK Hakeem, which was from 92-93 thru 95-96, finished 2nd, 1st, 5th, and 4th in the MVP voting. In two of those four years, he finished behind Robinson (even a year after blowing him away in the WCF's.) In his ONE MVP season, he was nowhere near considered the consensus best player, and in the other three, it was a question of just how far back behind the leader(s) he would finish.

And in the rest of his career, covering 14 seasons, he was, at best, just an after-thought. And in many, he wasn't even considered a Top-10 player. And that was it. The rest of his career was "highlighted" by 45 win seasons, and first round playoff exits, yet he's somehow comparable to a player that gets GOAT talks

I've said this before, but if we're gonna measure players on talent, than Derrick Coleman has to be at the top of the AT power forward list

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
I'll answer for Hakeem. I put Hakeem on my 2nd unit because I consider him one of the best defensive centers the game has ever seen. Until this day the only center (I think player) in NBA history to record more than 200 blocks and 200 steals in the same season. 5 time All-NBA first team selection. His natural athletic ability and quickness made him one of the best paint defenders the league has ever seen.

On the offensive end, he wasn't too shabby either. Very quick, and had a real good shooting touch out to 10-12 feet. He could actually spread the floor unlike many centers today (outside of Dirk, and the Gasols).

O'Neal was my 1st unit selection, so you know how I feel about Hakeem vs Shaq. But I picked him over Kareem, Russell and Wilt, honestly, because I actually saw how good Hakeem was and could form an educated opinion based on what I saw. You'll notice on my lists I don't pick any old-timers like Cousy, Russell, or Mikan. By the time I was into basketball, Kareem was already at the tail end of his career, and Wilt and Russell were long gone. If I picked those guys, it would be based on old, grainy video, or on other people's opinions. Not my style.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 PM

As far as these discussions go, There comes a very fine line between preference, and actually believing that Olajuwon's >/= to the aforementioned 5's. I get the preference part, I do. I believe a great argument can be made for Cousy being the GOAT PG, but if I'm building a team of my own, I'm taking Isiah Thomas as my PG (or Iverson), but I'd never of course put those two in the same breadth as the Hardwood Houdini (as much as I love them).

Old 06-22-2014, 01:32 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
PG: Westbrook / Parker
SG: Jordan / (Reggie) Miller
SF: Durant / Havlicek -- OR - Alex English
PF: Garnett / Duncan
C: (Marc) Gasol / Howard

I handcuffed myself trying to avoid most of the ones already mentioned. (It's hard) I also *tried* to stick to mostly modern players.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 06-22-2014 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Lol this is a fun concept
My dream team would be a mix of the best- then & now.....

PG: Derrick Rose
SG: Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant
SF: Scottie Pippen or Tony Kukoc
PF: Dirk Nowitzki or Charles Barkley
C: Joakim Noah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball