Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 AM

864 posts, read 799,688 times

Advertisements

To get Carmelo, they would need to take some pretty sizable pay cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
NO!!!!!!!
no bosh in SA!
he is a good 3rd fiddle but hes no duncan replacement.
Splitter will replace Duncan eventually and he is pretty good but obviously no Duncan.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
To get Carmelo, they would need to take some pretty sizable pay cuts.
If they cut about $4-5 mill each, they could easily get Carmelo. You also have to realize that there salaries are still a little higher than guys getting paid the same in other markets especially without a state tax.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 PM

864 posts, read 799,688 times
$5 million from 3 players is a lot of money just to get your buddy Carmelo to come and play with you.

After tonight though it might all be moot, LBJ may just take off, and Bosh may do the same.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
NO!!!!!!!
no bosh in SA!
he is a good 3rd fiddle but hes no duncan replacement.
Bosh would be a great replacement for Duncan. That's not to say that the Spurs would be getting exactly the same thing, but he'd be a great pickup for any team, especially the Spurs. He's a coachable team player, a good perimeter shooter, a reasonably good defender. Whatever weaknesses he has, Pop could sort out. He'd probably flourish because he wouldn't have to contend with all of the occasionally expectations of being part of the Big 3. He could just kinda blend in more and pick his moments. Whether that's what he wants or not is a matter that would need ot be worked out, but I've always been impressed by Bosh's maturity and willingness to see the bigger picture. It would probably be a win-win.

I could also see the Knicks, with Phil Jackson pulling the strings, making a run at Bosh and trying to keep Melo.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:56 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Bosh would be a great replacement for Duncan. That's not to say that the Spurs would be getting exactly the same thing, but he'd be a great pickup for any team, especially the Spurs. He's a coachable team player, a good perimeter shooter, a reasonably good defender. Whatever weaknesses he has, Pop could sort out. He'd probably flourish because he wouldn't have to contend with all of the occasionally expectations of being part of the Big 3. He could just kinda blend in more and pick his moments. Whether that's what he wants or not is a matter that would need ot be worked out, but I've always been impressed by Bosh's maturity and willingness to see the bigger picture. It would probably be a win-win.

I could also see the Knicks, with Phil Jackson pulling the strings, making a run at Bosh and trying to keep Melo.
1) Great assessment of Bosh.

2) Aren't the knicks still salary capped? Frankly, until I see proof that PJ isn't going to be meddled with in terms of Dolan interference....any player going there is stupid IMO.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

We don't need ANYBODY from this current Heat team.

The Spurs have built players you wouldn't think to be stars into high impact players.

When Tim, Manu, and Tony leave, Kawhi, Tiago, and Danny will take their place. No need to go out and buy super stars when we can do what we've been doing and just groom them...

Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
$5 million from 3 players is a lot of money just to get your buddy Carmelo to come and play with you.

After tonight though it might all be moot, LBJ may just take off, and Bosh may do the same.
When your opponent is shooting >55% from the field is Melo really any sort of solution?

I'd think they'd be better off trading for a guy like Asik for some rebounding and interior defense and adding a guard that can keep Ginobli from driving right past them on his mobility scooter for a dunk. Even then you'd still have some money left over to add a solid bench player.

Do that and you'd be able to trim back Wade and Allen's minutes and Birdmans which would make them more effective too.

All Melo will add to the Heat is shot attempts.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:04 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We don't need ANYBODY from this current Heat team.

The Spurs have built players you wouldn't think to be stars into high impact players.

When Tim, Manu, and Tony leave, Kawhi, Tiago, and Danny will take their place. No need to go out and buy super stars when we can do what we've been doing and just groom them...
I'd be lying if I said we couldn't find a spot for LeBron. Even we have had the benefit of an arguable top 10 all time player. Kawhi, Tiago and Danny aren't that. When the big 3 retire if we want to continue winning championships, we're gonna need a bell cow that isn't currently on the roster.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'd be lying if I said we couldn't find a spot for LeBron. Even we have had the benefit of an arguable top 10 all time player. Kawhi, Tiago and Danny aren't that. When the big 3 retire if we want to continue winning championships, we're gonna need a bell cow that isn't currently on the roster.
Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball