Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

@mathguy, it'd so silly to me that the NBA doesn't have a HOF. With just the length of basketball as a worldwide sport, and that the NBA is the premier basketball league in the plant, it only makes sense that the NBA looks into establishing a Hall for just the league....

@rigas, glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels Wade is overrated. Yes, he WAS great (past-tense) and a Top-4 player in his prime, but let's keep some things in context: 1, he was never the best, or even top two best, player at any point of his career; 2, he was only great for a short time period, relative to other greats of his era (Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, etc). Wade played at his prime ~2005-2010, and has been in decline since...3, in the pantheon of all-time great 2-gaurds, he wasn't the best of his own generation (Kobe), and arguably not 2nd best, either (Iverson)....

To those points, because there is a Basketball HOF, but not NBA HOF, Wade is certainly a Famer, first ballot or not. However, he is also a bit overrated, and I've never seen someone get as many media passes for injury as he has....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@mathguy, it'd so silly to me that the NBA doesn't have a HOF. With just the length of basketball as a worldwide sport, and that the NBA is the premier basketball league in the plant, it only makes sense that the NBA looks into establishing a Hall for just the league....

@rigas, glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels Wade is overrated. Yes, he WAS great (past-tense) and a Top-4 player in his prime, but let's keep some things in context: 1, he was never the best, or even top two best, player at any point of his career; 2, he was only great for a short time period, relative to other greats of his era (Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, etc). Wade played at his prime ~2005-2010, and has been in decline since...3, in the pantheon of all-time great 2-gaurds, he wasn't the best of his own generation (Kobe), and arguably not 2nd best, either (Iverson)....

To those points, because there is a Basketball HOF, but not NBA HOF, Wade is certainly a Famer, first ballot or not. However, he is also a bit overrated, and I've never seen someone get as many media passes for injury as he has....
You make a good point about the NBA HOF but with the NBA pushing for more globalization I think failing to recognize players that have done a lot for the sport interationally would be a step in the wrong direction. The NBA's global growth is part of the reason that the NBA has gone from a C-list sport of decades past to a league rivaling MLB (and passing them.). Also, drawing fans from college to pro as they follow their favorites is another reason the league has prospered (Bird/Magic). It's also good to remember that 1/2 the people on earth are female so including the Cheryl Millers and what not is smart business too.

I personally don't see how Yao Ming making the HOF (and he will) or a guy like Sabonis takes anything away from the superior NBA careers of guys like Kobe or Garnett.

Let's face it, the only people that get all bent out of shape when they hear stuff like Ginobli being a lock for the HOF (which he is) is because they don't know it's not the NBA HOF. It's just a case of confusion but then some of them don't want to look dumb when they find out and just dig their heels in.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
Anyone who can't see that Duncan has been a role player for the spurs the past 2-3 years is just blind nuthugging. Duncan has had a legendary career but people saying "he got his 5th ring" are giving him way too much credit. Yeah Robert Horry has a bunch of rings too, but I don't see anyone throwing him into the Top 10 so easily.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Wait wade is HOF? But Manu isn't to a lot of people?

Wade IMO isn't 1st ballot HOF.

And Duncan wants to play some more so who knows, maybe he gets 6
You're being ridiculous. Good job spurs. But you honestly going to argue Manu > Wade?

The Spurs nut huggers are getting worse than the South Beach nuthuggers.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Anyone who can't see that Duncan has been a role player for the spurs the past 2-3 years is just blind nuthugging. Duncan has had a legendary career but people saying "he got his 5th ring" are giving him way too much credit. Yeah Robert Horry has a bunch of rings too, but I don't see anyone throwing him into the Top 10 so easily.
Guy makes the all-nba team, 2nd most points of any Spur player in the finals and averages a double-double.....and you call him a role player?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You're being ridiculous. Good job spurs. But you honestly going to argue Manu > Wade?

The Spurs nut huggers are getting worse than the South Beach nuthuggers.
Both are a lock for the HOF.

Manu due to the weight given to international play and the development of basketball beyond US borders may arguably have a stronger case.

If you think people are saying ginobli had a better NBA career (they aren't) then I think the problem here isn't nuthugging but rather a lack of knowledge about the BASKETBALL HOF which includes many people that never played a minute in the NBA.

Ginobli played his first 8 years in foreign basketball and his foreign resume alone (along with being the star that lead argentina to a gold medal in the olympics) is enough to get him in the HOF.

He is one of 2 players to win olympic gold, a euro championship and an NBA championship.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Guy makes the all-nba team, 2nd most points of any Spur player in the finals and averages a double-double.....and you call him a role player?
Duncan's 2014 Final's stats:

15.4 ppg on 10.2 shot attempts per game
10 rpg
33 min per game

Solid, but let's not go overboard here.

Kawhi Leonard was the obvious star during these Finals, and without him, the Heat win this series.

Last edited by Finn_Cool; 06-16-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Both are a lock for the HOF.

Manu due to the weight given to international play and the development of basketball beyond US borders may arguably have a stronger case.
That's an insane statement. Absolutely insane.

Manu is good, I'm not going to trash him like other people might out of their nuthug love for South Beach, but in the NBA Manu's primary role has been as a great 6th man, except for that one season where he started pretty much every game in 2010 (I believe).

But in nearly every important NBA statistical category; points per game, steals, rebounds, FG%, Dwayne is simply better than Manu. PERs, 100 possessions? It's not even close. From 2004 to 2011, you could make a case for Dwayne Wade being a Top 5 player in the league every single season. Can you say the same for Manu?

Heck, the year that Wade lead his team to the finals and won the championship at 24 years old was some of the best basketball I've ever seen (and I was already an NBA fanatic during the Bird-Johnson rivalry years). Look at the numbers during that playoff year; 28.4 ppg, .497 FG%, 5.7 assist, 5.9 rebounds, 38% from beyond the arc! Those are straight up Michael Jordan type numbers. Manu has NEVER had a run like that in the regular or post season.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of Spurs love right now (and I for one am glad they got it this year), but the type of nuthugging that is coming out now from Spurs fans is kind of ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Duncan's 2014 Final's stats:

15.4 ppg on 10.2 shot attempts per game
10 rpg
33 min per game

Solid, but let's not go overboard here.
He averaged only 2.8ppg lower than Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs, outscored Bosh, David West, Daeron Williams and tied John Wall in ppg.

....and also tossed in 10rpg.

....and played great defense.

And you are saying I'm going overboard by not saying he's a role player?

I don't think that phrase means what you think it does.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
He averaged only 2.8ppg lower than Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs, outscored Bosh, David West, Daeron Williams and tied John Wall in ppg.

....and also tossed in 10rpg.

....and played great defense.

And you are saying I'm going overboard by not saying he's a role player?

I don't think that phrase means what you think it does.
Ugh. Should I even continue discussing this with you? I'm really hesitant. You just tried to compare Dirk to Duncan, two guys with totally different styles of play. Then you went further and tried to compare Duncan to two point guards. Yeah I think we're done here. Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball