Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:58 PM

77,814 posts, read 59,987,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
clearly you have a skewed perception of "role player" then.
LMAO....yep.

Dear god, it happens every year. The casuals wander in and poop on the rug like strays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Role player = Manu Ginobli, Tim Duncan
Franchise Player = Lebron, Kobe, Durant, etc.

And guess what? Kawhi Leonard won the Finals MVP despite what the Duncan nuthuggers were predicting in the other thread.
Kobes playoff numbers this year were 0-0-0.

I notice you lump franchise player in with Kobe despite him not playing this year yet then shove Duncan into a role player label?

LMFAO. Shoo-fly. Shoo.

Kobe by your definition was a SCRUB this year.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM

6,328 posts, read 3,580,923 times
Quote:
????
the per 36 min stats are THE stat/numbers use when comparing 2 players. it balances things out so that you can see what a players true production is.

it is not a what if stat, it is a "this person produces this much every 36 minutes" its not a "this person might produce this much if he played 36 minutes per night"
But does a players per minute production go up when playing more minutes? I would doubt it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM

Hey Rigas, remember when I told you that every time Lebron or Duncan had success....the pathetic Kobe fans would come out to try to drag them down?

Insecurity ftl.

Huge meltdown going on because:

a) Kobe hasn't done crap in 3 years other than shoot his team out of the playoffs in the 4th quarter and destroy their cap space the next 2 years.

b) Lebron clearly beasted, it was his teammates that lost this series.

c) Duncan is doing at age 38 what Kobe will be doing on the golf course at age 38....and blaming his caddy when he slices it into the water.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 PM

23 posts, read 33,884 times
This is the last ring Timmy's ever gonna get. Kobe and Timmy are hasbeens. It's King James' time boys.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM

6,328 posts, read 3,580,923 times
Quote:
those numbers are really not that far off, then considering manu wasnt asked to be the lone scoring option for his team.
now career per 36 minutes (remember manu doesnt play a ton of minutes because his coach knows the value of rest)
wade
23.9 ppg
5.9 apg
4.9 rpg
1.7 steals
3.4 to
2.4 fouls
manu
19.5 ppg
5.3 apg
5.1 rpg
1.9 steals
2.8 to
2.9 fouls
thats pretty close when you put their numbers on an apples to apples basis.
Is it really apples to apples though?

First off, consider what being the number one option does to a players shooting percentage, and how much more difficult it because for that player to get open and get good looks.

Second, wouldn't it seem obvious that the more minutes a player plays, then the more fatigued they become and their per game numbers would actually go down. In Manu's case he would be playing nearly 10 more minutes per game to get to 36. That is a lot more fatigue. In Wade's case he would have to play a fraction of a minute less per game, suggesting is per 36 number may actually go up by a tiny fraction.

Third, Wade has been an extremely efficient scorer from the field. So while playing a significantly greater number of minutes and being asked to be a far greater focal point of the team, he has still managed to shoot over 49% for his career to Manu's 45%. And consider, Manu very well could be at 43% career if he were asked to be the main focal point of his team and play 10 more minutes per game.

I do think both are great players and I enjoying watching both play, in fact both have unique styles of play, and both have mastered the flop . But I don't know that it is as apples to apples as you paint it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,804,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Serpent for 18Minutes View Post
This is the last ring Timmy's ever gonna get.
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that...

Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,681,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Serpent for 18Minutes View Post
This is the last ring Timmy's ever gonna get. Kobe and Timmy are hasbeens. It's King James' time boys.
Tim looks more ready for another ring than Lebron does. This Spurs team will be favorites next year, by contrast the heat roster after Lebron was exposed this past finals as woefully inadequate at this point, compared to the Spurs anyway.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,030,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

First off, consider what being the number one option does to a players shooting percentage, and how much more difficult it because for that player to get open and get good looks.

Second, wouldn't it seem obvious that the more minutes a player plays, then the more fatigued they become and their per game numbers would actually go down. In Manu's case he would be playing nearly 10 more minutes per game to get to 36. That is a lot more fatigue. In Wade's case he would have to play a fraction of a minute less per game, suggesting is per 36 number may actually go up by a tiny fraction.

Third, Wade has been an extremely efficient scorer from the field. So while playing a significantly greater number of minutes and being asked to be a far greater focal point of the team, he has still managed to shoot over 49% for his career to Manu's 45%. And consider, Manu very well could be at 43% career if he were asked to be the main focal point of his team and play 10 more minutes per game.

I do think both are great players and I enjoying watching both play, in fact both have unique styles of play, and both have mastered the flop . But I don't know that it is as apples to apples as you paint it.
so heres the deal finn_wagon took offense to the fact some of us dont believe wade is nearly the HOF player he is made out to be. IMO he is not a 1st ballot but he will get in.
none of us have argued manu is BETTER than wade, only that his overall body of work between nba and international ball affords him an easier time to get into the HOF. so mr finn proceeded to tell us how we are wrong by using 100 pos stats and the like, telling us how wade MUCH better, and CLEARLY better and so on. i used per 36, and his own per 100 pos to show him that wade is not CLEARLY MUCH BETTER and that in reality they are not THAT FAR apart.

now are per 36 min or per 100 pos perfect? not at all, but it is the closest apples to apples argument you can formulate. sorta granny smith to red delicious. (you pick who is which one if you like)

both will get in, but for different reasons, and IMO manu will get in before wade if they retired the same day.

as for whos better, wade plays a more significant role on his team, as he always has, manu is the closer, the guy who comes in and kills, a 6th man assassin. id say that manu is a better COMPETITOR, he has more heart, more drive, more desire to win, while wade is more talented or physically gifted. all that said, to argue that manu is not or could not have played a similar role to wade or that he isnt cut out for it is juts a silly argument. manu has been "the man" many times in many places and clearly has done it well (including in san antonio). people seem to forget that tim was gifted the 2005 finals mvp, and that many people (including myself) believe manu was more deserving.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 AM

864 posts, read 795,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

Also, let's be honest. Manu is about as durable as a paper kite. The guy only averages 27 minutes a game for his entire career. If he attempted to even play 36 minutes a game like Wade, he would end up only playing in 17 games a season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball