Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times

Advertisements

awesome HS player, shame he never panned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I saw highlights of his high school days. Yes, he could dribble and steal against the competition he was facing. But NYC basketball has been getting weaker and weaker. Plus, he did not have the size to play at the next level.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushZombie View Post
He should have played in college as it would have better prepared his skills for the NBA. Going straight from high school to the NBA was the worst thing he could've done for his basketball career.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
He should have played in college as it would have better prepared his skills for the NBA. Going straight from high school to the NBA was the worst thing he could've done for his basketball career.

yes, but if he went to college and his jumpshot was exposed, he would of never made it to the nba. we're talking millions here.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
yes, but if he went to college and his jumpshot was exposed, he would of never made it to the nba. we're talking millions here.
He could have worked on it in college, and he would've been a much more polished player by the time he would've entered the NBA.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
He could have worked on it in college, and he would've been a much more polished player by the time he would've entered the NBA.

agreed, but you have to know the factors.. what if he got hurt? or what if his shot is exposed, teams see that he is a 5'11/6'0 shooting guard that cant shoot? and he goes undrafted?

after watching his documentary it seems that he really needed the money to help his own family, and i dont disagree with him going straight to the pros when his stock is so overhyped. who cares if your labeled a bust when you have fed your family and made millions? thats all that matters.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
The difference between high school and college is huge, and the difference between college and the pros even greater. There are tons of talented high school players who's game, for one reason or another, doesn't translate to the next level. I suspect if Telfair had gone to college his limitations would have been exposed earlier, and he might have gone the path of a James Michale McAdoo. At least leaving high school and heading directly to the NBA allowed him to earn a boatload of cash.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
The difference between high school and college is huge, and the difference between college and the pros even greater. There are tons of talented high school players who's game, for one reason or another, doesn't translate to the next level. I suspect if Telfair had gone to college his limitations would have been exposed earlier, and he might have gone the path of a James Michale McAdoo. At least leaving high school and heading directly to the NBA allowed him to earn a boatload of cash.

this, and the fact that telfair was guaranteed to be in the first round, so the worst he can do is have a 2 year contract sitting on the bench.

im pretty sure for most people, if i can throw down 30 points a game in high school while being selfish, knowing that once they get to college they might get exposed and not make it to the pros, they would go to the nba because they have the chance to make dough. I would do the same thing also.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbushZombie View Post
There were a lot of awesome high schoolers that never panned out. I remember back in the day of a guy named Shea Cotton out of LA, when he was a sophomore in hs I thought he had major college talent. Where is he now?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I *NEVER* believe hype about highschoolers unless they've been playing summer ball etc. against pros instead of beating up on highschool kids.

That's the only reason I bought into Lebron being a big deal coming out of HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball