Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Now that LeBron has left Miami the celebrities are gonna need somewhere to be seen
They'll be coming to Cleveland of course .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
An honest over\under on a Laker return to the playoffs is IMO around 5 years.
I will respectfully take the Under on that one.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
i would say its to tough to tell. its got more to do with what the rest of the west does than it does what the lakers do.
ill say the lakers are not much if any better than last year. kobe is a HUGE ???? boozer will do a bit of scoring but hes no defender. none of their other pickups/signings are roster filler.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
They could get lucky with some lottery balls but any way you slice it they only have 2 of their next 4 picks.

They haven't been able to get any free agents to seriously consider them other than Dwight.

They've chewed through a number of coaches making what can only be described as abrupt and questionable choices along the way.

They let PJ go run the Knicks....and not the Lakers.....despite having their worst record in ever and having the Howard\Nash experiment blow up in their face the guys that did that deal are still there.

I'm just pointing out that there are warning signs that this team is not being run like the Jerry Buss Lakers of years past.

The fact that the coach wound up getting canned because of Nash\Howard and not the GM? How do you feel about that?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i would say its to tough to tell. its got more to do with what the rest of the west does than it does what the lakers do.
ill say the lakers are not much if any better than last year. kobe is a HUGE ???? boozer will do a bit of scoring but hes no defender. none of their other pickups/signings are roster filler.
No sane person is predicting they will do anything the next 2 years. The wildcard is what they'll be able to do after that.

The big hope for salvation is that Lebron will go there.....you can find a million threads predicting that both this year and when he left Cleveland.....and he didn't come to LA either time. Plus that many others will join in a la the Miami situation.

Is it possible? Yes, hence the over-under.

However, it's much much harder to do when you have almost nothing to trade and thus have to find free agents that don't require any trade to occur.

We'll see...but as a Bulls fan, I think there are some Lakers' fans that are a little spoiled by the Shaq-Kobe era and think it's easy to just bounce back....and that a 10 year drought can't possibly happen to them. Celtics thought that too....so did Knicks fans.....and so forth.

In light of some of their recent management decisions....that's why i put the over\under at 5 years. These are the guys that gave up 2013, 2015 and 2017 picks for Nash and Howard after all.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Like Rigas said, it has to do with the rest of the West as much as it does with the Lakers roster (for the sake of predicting whether they'll be a playoff team in the next 5 years).

Can we sit here and definitively say that the Thunder are going to be a contender in 3 years when we all know that they're one free agent move away from being mediocre?
The Spurs could be pretty mediocre in 3 years too (not a bottom dweller, but average).
Where will the Warriors be? If they lose Klay in free agency next summer, they're just average.
Who's going to be Memphis' stars in 3 years? Randolph's past his prime, Tony Allen will be as well. Gasol is the best thing they've got right now.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
No disrespect to Byron Scott, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in 2 or 3 years.

For some reason, this reminds me of Del Harris or Rudy Tomjanovich. When the team isn't settled, it's hard for the coach to be. The lakers in 5 years will probably look completely different.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:17 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Like Rigas said, it has to do with the rest of the West as much as it does with the Lakers roster (for the sake of predicting whether they'll be a playoff team in the next 5 years).

Can we sit here and definitively say that the Thunder are going to be a contender in 3 years when we all know that they're one free agent move away from being mediocre?
The Spurs could be pretty mediocre in 3 years too (not a bottom dweller, but average).
Where will the Warriors be? If they lose Klay in free agency next summer, they're just average.
Who's going to be Memphis' stars in 3 years? Randolph's past his prime, Tony Allen will be as well. Gasol is the best thing they've got right now.
all of that is true BUT the difference between all those teams and the lakers is all those teams have assets, picks, tradeable contracts, good cap room. the lakers really dont have any of that. thats what mathguy is saying.

lakers management since dr buss passed has really gone to hell in a hand basket. they mortgaged 3-5 years of flexibility in the twilight of their big stars career on a winner take all, title or bust type fire sale with getting nash and howard to play with kobe and pau. 5-6 years ago you put kobe/pua/howard/nash on a team together and the entire league is screwed. thats a better team on paper than the heat ever were. laker management was stuck in the jerry buss era in their heads and thought "we are the lakers we can pull off anything and win a title"

they are finding out the very hard way.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
I like Scott, but this is a bad team he inherited. This will take some time.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
The Lakers will win it all!!!
No comprendo- even Kobe or Scott don't comprendo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball