Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how many of us still play.
Where do you play?
Favorite position?
What are your skills?

I play in parks 3x3 and seasonally I play organized 3x3. Usually the 1 or 2 guard spots. I have a decent jump shot from the outside and a good mid-range game. My specialty is driving to the hoop, and passing. Lately I have been working on adding the dunk... still got a couple inches to go. I can hang rim and get my hand above it, but no actual dunking yet.

I figure we can't all be *just* fans, especially with all the posters who are really passionate about basketball, lets hear about your game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I'm huge and can't dunk (6'7", 280). I have an above average outside shot. I tend to dominate inside against average people. Against serious players, it's been awhile, but I'm thinking of playing this fall or winter if I don't do fall baseball.

I coached 12 year olds for one year. It was fun.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm huge and can't dunk (6'7", 280). I have an above average outside shot. I tend to dominate inside against average people. Against serious players, it's been awhile, but I'm thinking of playing this fall or winter if I don't do fall baseball.

I coached 12 year olds for one year. It was fun.
I would love to coach! I think it would be sooo much fun.

I am about 6'1.5" on a good day, ha ha. I have a skateboarding background so my hops are pretty legit. I used to buy the "white boys can't jump" thing until I started working out my legs more and doing plyometrics... now I am SO close to dunking. I can't wait until I actually get one.

My dream is to compete in FIBA 3x3 tournaments when I hit my 30's... who knows, I *could* make it to the Olympics. (I think they may accept it into the Olympics soon, at least I hope so. It is such a pure sport with no money interfering with the play.)

I wouldn't even mind playing full court 5x5 if I got the chance.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Used to play in my younger, thinner years. Played high school,local league, playground pick-up, attended a few camps run by pro players/D-1 colleges. I was actually one hell of a rebounder for my height at 6"2, alot of people I played with/ against joked if I were taller I'd have made the NBA just off that lol.

Skill-wise, I did a bit of everything, but for the most part my abilities at my size didn't translate to anything that would have made me successful at high level competition. Had some decent hops, could do simple one handed dunks off one leg. I grew up watching MJ, so like many kids from his era I spent alot of time on the playground trying to emulate his moves.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I used to play but just for exercise as I'm a wrestler by build and whatnot......and pretty much am not very good. lol.

I stopped playing as I'm just getting older and have good knees etc. and want it to stay that way. Saw like three guys I played with go down with ACL's etc. and decided it's just not a healthy way to get exercise as I get older.

FWIW I hated basketball until I was out of highschool....then fell in love with it.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:48 PM

28 posts, read 78,603 times
I played basketball, but I didn't start until I was 11. I was not into any sports until 11, and I was uncoordinated at that. I had to have multiple hip surgeries as I was growing. Anyway, I developed a shot, and I learned how to score. I worked hard on my shot and on my play. My outside shot is very good, but I can't move laterally anymore, due to blown out knees. What kept me from being much better was height (I am 5'5"), and a lack of lateral quickness, especially when reacting. I developed speed, and I developed a spin move. By the time I was 13, I was at or above the average level for that age group. I even played in HS! I used to score in bunches, and even led a league in scoring for two years (we lost every game). However, if I play, now, I would come off the bench, and try to be an energy guy. I envision myself as an 6-8 points per game, with a few assists and some OK defense. I'll even grab a couple rebounds.

Football is my favorite to play, and I was better at football than at basketball, relative to everyone else. I had speed because I was small, and could get a 60+ yard run (79 is my longest; I had a 76-yarder and a 77-yarder in one game). I had decent upper-body strength (could bench more than my weight, but some could bench more than 400 pounds!!). I played some QB (third string QB in HS; split time at JV level; second string RB, and WR; I played QB in a league, and played RB in the second half of the season because another player wanted to badly play QB, so I let him have the position, and he wasn't bad). I played some TE; I was a willing blocker when I played TE and WR; I had to do a lot of trap blocking and kick out blocks since I was smaller than the LB that I usually blocked. I played corner on "D"; I had speed and could cover; I rarely was beaten deep, unless I tried to jump a route and guessed wrong (embarrassing). I got beat on a jump ball when I was matched up with a tall receiver. I blew out my knee on an illegal hit, and was also hit in the stomach on a vicious hit that led to internal bleeding and emergency surgery.

In short. I am not amazing, but I don't suck.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:28 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I played in church league as a kid, and as a 20-something played a lot on the playgrounds in Hyde Park, Chicago. Almost always I was the only white boy on the court. I had a good jump shot and quick hands, but little else going for me. That was 30 years ago, and I have not touched a basketball in at least 20 years. I took up running a few years ago, and that is now my outlet. I'm sure I will enjoy watching basketball till the day I die, however.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:03 AM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
I'm 6'7 225. I have an ok outside shot but am a tremendous rebounder/shot blocker. All you guys here would love play w/me as all i'd ask is that you would make sure your shot hits the backboard and that i'm in the paint. I love to set good, solid screens. I'm 38 and know that my playing days are numbered as your knees have only so many jumps in them. I'm currently in an indoor league and i'm playing well and enjoy it. However there's nothing like playing outdoors as I feel that I jump higher and my shot is more consistent. Yes I can still dunk as i'm easily able to palm the ball.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
I've played high school and college level (walk on red shirt level, practice team, JV). I'm 6'-4" and 46 yrs old. I still can hit shots anywhere within half court on a rec league size gym. My career high in a rec league game was 40 pts. on 8 three pointers and 8 two pointers (no free throws). My last dunk was at 42 years old.

If I keep myself in shape, I can still compete in most places. I went to the Luis Scola school of footwork (various YouTube videos) for better inside play since I have gotten older and don't want to jump anymore.

I actually got to play against Calvin Murphy and Robert Reid in a charity basketball game about 2-3 years ago. Murphy, being as old as he is, can still shoot. Reid could barely move. Lots of fun though -- we won by 25.

I also played baseball, and softball as I got older. Gave up football at 12 after a direct shot on my knee from a helmet. Didn't take me long to figure out that I did not want the pain from football.

I just got done coaching my son's 14 year old team. Getting them to think through what they are doing is a challenge, especially when you only get one hour per week of practice.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM

It is really cool hearing about all you guys' playing experience. I just recently got back into it, and I thought I was too old, ha ha. (Just turned 26) Some of you guys are an inspiration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball