Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Back to the Bulls, I really like what Aaron Brooks does for the team when he's on the court. The Bulls have constructed an oversized team with the two 7 footers, plus Mirotic, plus Jimmy Butler playing guard at 6'7". Even Dunleavy at 6'9" (assuming that is accurate) is bigger than the typical 3.

The problem with that is they tend to be slow and get jammed up on offense. But when Brooks turns on the speed it seems to discombobulate the defense. Other guys get open as the panicked defense rushes to deal w/ Brooks. I'd like to see Brooks and Rose on the floor together more often, at least when defensive matchups allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:13 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Back to the Bulls, I really like what Aaron Brooks does for the team when he's on the court. The Bulls have constructed an oversized team with the two 7 footers, plus Mirotic, plus Jimmy Butler playing guard at 6'7". Even Dunleavy at 6'9" (assuming that is accurate) is bigger than the typical 3.

The problem with that is they tend to be slow and get jammed up on offense. But when Brooks turns on the speed it seems to discombobulate the defense. Other guys get open as the panicked defense rushes to deal w/ Brooks. I'd like to see Brooks and Rose on the floor together more often, at least when defensive matchups allow.
Do you think that with more time together that the passing they have at almost every position that they'll be more effective?

The return of Rose, addition of Gasol and emergence of Butler gives them a lot of O-punch....not to mention Mirotic.

To me, they look so much better than the first 15 games or so of the season and looking down the schedule you see that they are now beating the teams they should and typically by much bigger margins.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Butler was a MONSTER last night.

27 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks, 4 assists and it only took him 16 shots.

I'll tell you flat out that at this rate he deserves a spot on the all-nba team somewhere and is probably the best Guard in the East.

This after dropping a 31-10 on Memphis and 35-7 on the Knicks.
His game against the NO Pelicans was almost as good, with 33 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
His game against the NO Pelicans was almost as good, with 33 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.
Bulls, barring a major injury are going to be the #1 seed and prohibitive favorite to reach the finals at this point in the season.

P.S. Atlanta #2....Toronto then maybe Cleveland (injuries) and then Washington et.c

Last edited by Mathguy; 12-28-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bulls, barring a major injury are going to be the #1 seed and prohibitive favorite to reach the finals at this point in the season.

P.S. Atlanta #2....Toronto then maybe Cleveland (injuries) and then Washington et.c
I agree! The Bulls are playing very well. They seem to have pulled together and are playing great team basketball. We have 2 great starting guards in Rose and Butler and effective backups in Brooks and even Hinrich (not my favorite). Plus you have 3 - 4 legitimate big men in Noah, Gasol, Gibson and Mirotic. The only real weakness is at small forward.

One small fun fact, is that if we finish better than Cleveland we may get to trade first round picks with them (there are lottery protections). I would love that!

FYI>... we may also be getting the Kings first round pick this year (again, it is lottery protected).

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I agree! The Bulls are playing very well. They seem to have pulled together and are playing great team basketball. We have 2 great starting guards in Rose and Butler and effective backups in Brooks and even Hinrich (not my favorite). Plus you have 3 - 4 legitimate big men in Noah, Gasol, Gibson and Mirotic. The only real weakness is at small forward.

One small fun fact, is that if we finish better than Cleveland we may get to trade first round picks with them (there are lottery protections). I would love that!

FYI>... we may also be getting the Kings first round pick this year (again, it is lottery protected).
The whole "lottery protections" thing I always find fascinating. For example, some of the Lakers picks may actually wind up going through the various layers of protection meaning that this years pick is top 5 protected but if they keep it then it pushes off to next year where it's top 3 protected and then if they keep that one then it's unprotected.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
tough game. Brooks getting thrown out really hurts, especially with Kirk being out. For times like this is why we need to get our new guys some game experience.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
tough game. Brooks getting thrown out really hurts, especially with Kirk being out. For times like this is why we need to get our new guys some game experience.
Yeah, rough shooting game which is a perfect example of where they still need to grow as a team. Their bench has been getting a lot of minutes but to your point, they've been concentrated on the bench bigs Gibson and Mirotic.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Brooks getting thrown out on a night when Butler and Rose were having off nights proved to be a real challenge for the Bulls. Dunleavy stepped up with good shooting night and Snell was 3 - 3 from the 3 point line, but it was not enough.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Brooks getting thrown out on a night when Butler and Rose were having off nights proved to be a real challenge for the Bulls. Dunleavy stepped up with good shooting night and Snell was 3 - 3 from the 3 point line, but it was not enough.
When the 3-4 guys that are responsible for 70% of your scoring all have cold shooting nights there is just no getting around it.

It was freakin' amazing that they beat Indy the other night while shooting something like 35% from the floor....of course it's hard to get in a rythm when indy is sucking so bad that they foul you on about every shot lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball