Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 06:47 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't mean to write them off, but w/ 5 guys averaging over 30 minutes, if one of those 5 goes down, especially Horford or Milsap, they would suffer more than either the Bulls or Raptors. And we all know that injuries are part and parcel of the NBA.

Granted none of their five are playing more than 33 min/game, so I think the coach is playing it smart in that respect. The Hawks also might be able to acquire a good bench player in the next few days, which could ameliorate the problem.
Tough call for the Hawks when everything is working for you....do you add a piece? I guess it depends on which piece and how much it costs you....maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:59 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,820 times
Last nights game against Detroit was frustrating to watch. I really expected a better performance after the long break. The Bulls should have beaten the Pistons. Rose, Gasol and Dunleavy had poor games and Snell regressed after several good games.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Last nights game against Detroit was frustrating to watch. I really expected a better performance after the long break. The Bulls should have beaten the Pistons. Rose, Gasol and Dunleavy had poor games and Snell regressed after several good games.
Erratic is frustrating to watch.

One night they control Cleveland pretty well....then they lose to Detroit.

That's the remaining piece to work out of course.

Dunleavy has only been back a short while so they have to get their groove going before it really starts to matter.

If they can't get their erratic play under control eventually they'll give away a game or two in a 7-game series and that will be the difference and their season will end.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I was very disappointed at the loss to Detroit, but hopefully it was a case of too much rest, resulting in rust. My hobby is distance running, and we are taught to 'taper' the week before a race. This means cutting back length and intensity of workouts. But it's a tricky balance, and it's common to hear people blame 'too much taper' for a poor performance.

I expect the rest was good for the long term health, especially for Rose and Noah, and if so it was worth the one loss to Detroit.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I was very disappointed at the loss to Detroit, but hopefully it was a case of too much rest, resulting in rust. My hobby is distance running, and we are taught to 'taper' the week before a race. This means cutting back length and intensity of workouts. But it's a tricky balance, and it's common to hear people blame 'too much taper' for a poor performance.

I expect the rest was good for the long term health, especially for Rose and Noah, and if so it was worth the one loss to Detroit.
Yes, Agreed.

I'm been patient all year given the obvious many new pieces (I consider Rose essentially new in addition to Gasol and of course most of the bench) and injuries.

However, patience time only last another 25-30 games and then it's ready or not.

We'll see. Pass the popcorn and a cold one.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:40 AM

The Bulls probably brought Rose back too fast. Connective tissue takes a long time to adapt. When they had him playing 30+ minutes 10 weeks into the season I was impressed but concerned. In the game against the Cavs just before the break he played 41 minutes, 14 weeks into the season. 41 minutes after 14 weeks was too much, too soon.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:20 AM

Sigh. Can I just get a freakin' year where the game is decided on the court instead of at the docs office?

Oh well, as erratic as Rose has been, maybe they can get Snell to step up and play spoilers before they eventually get knocked out.

Can't seem to catch a break but that's pro-sports and injuries. <shrug>

Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
I could be off base, but I think it's possible - based on some of his nonsense - that the Bulls could be just as dangerous without Rose. I don't think he makes bright decisions on the court, nor is he a consistent shooter. Basically, when he came down with the multiple knee injuries, he lost some of his ability to drive hard to the basket in order to dominate defenses but at the same time hadn't yet developed a smarter, high-basketball IQ in order to beat teams in other ways, nor did he yet develop a better jump shot. In the 10 games prior to his recent knee injury, he barely shot 37% from the floor and for the season, he rests just above 40%. In 2 of his last 3 games, he shot a combined 3-for-22. Why does a guy that shoots 27% from 3-point land go on to take so many of them? In his final 5 games, he shot 3-for-19 for 3.

My advice to Bulls fans is in some ways, you may become a more efficient team and that might make you more tough, more dangerous. I don't know what the future holds, but if it's me, that's more shots for Gasol, more for Butler, more for Dunleavy, et. al. Snell, McDermott, and Mirotic - If I were Chicago, I'd attempt to permanently move on from this guy.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I could be off base, but I think it's possible - based on some of his nonsense - that the Bulls could be just as dangerous without Rose. I don't think he makes bright decisions on the court, nor is he a consistent shooter. Basically, when he came down with the multiple knee injuries, he lost some of his ability to drive hard to the basket in order to dominate defenses but at the same time hadn't yet developed a smarter, high-basketball IQ in order to beat teams in other ways, nor did he yet develop a better jump shot. In the 10 games prior to his recent knee injury, he barely shot 37% from the floor and for the season, he rests just above 40%. In 2 of his last 3 games, he shot a combined 3-for-22. Why does a guy that shoots 27% from 3-point land go on to take so many of them? In his final 5 games, he shot 3-for-19 for 3.

My advice to Bulls fans is in some ways, you may become a more efficient team and that might make you more tough, more dangerous. I don't know what the future holds, but if it's me, that's more shots for Gasol, more for Butler, more for Dunleavy, et. al. Snell, McDermott, and Mirotic - If I were Chicago, I'd attempt to permanently move on from this guy.
I didn't want to get into this discussion this morning in my earlier post but suffice to say, you've been reading my mind. (Now just don't tell anyone about my crush on Bea Aurthur.)

Old 02-25-2015, 12:05 PM

According to various reports this is the same injury as last time, to the right knee, but not as severe of a tear. There are even suggestions that he could be back this year. I don't think it would be smart, but it shows that this injury might not be as devastating as people think.

I disagree that the Bulls should write him off this time, because he's just too good when right. He came back once from the right knee injury, and he can do it again. He's still only age 26. People, including probably Rose himself, expected too much, too soon. His last full season was 2010-2011, 5 years ago. We're only about 16 weeks into his comeback.

I do agree about the 3 point shooting. Rose needs to do what LeBron did and work intensively on that. James went from being a mediocre 3 pt shooter to shooting .406 in 2012, and .379 last year. He was hurting the team with all the 1-7 3pt games. Obviously he was taking the tack of 'shooters gotta keep shooting,' but that doesn't always work out well.

I agree that the Bulls are still at least a dark horse to win the East this year. Meantime Nate Robinson is interested in coming on board.
Nate Robinson interested in return to the Bulls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball