Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Cleveland to pick up 36-yr-old Shawn Marion.
Shawn Marion to join Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN Dallas

This was the same kind of desperation move that Miami was known for. Sign an aging player who was good at one time, but that time has passed. The Bulls by contrast have an excellent mix of youth and experience.

Jerry Krause said it: organizations win championships." Chicago clearly has the better organization at this point. They have the coach, point guard, and center, the three toughest slots for an NBA team to fill. Cleveland perhaps has filled the point guard slot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

This was the same kind of desperation move that Miami was known for. Sign an aging player who was good at one time, but that time has passed. The Bulls by contrast have an excellent mix of youth and experience.

Jerry Krause said it: organizations win championships." Chicago clearly has the better organization at this point. They have the coach, point guard, and center, the three toughest slots for an NBA team to fill. Cleveland perhaps has filled the point guard slot.
Actually, Marion still has some gas in the tank. I was pretty shocked when up looked up his production in recent years.

He's a good add for Cleveland.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:

Marion has never averaged below 10 points a season on contending teams and plays good defense and has playoff experience. Not bad for a guy that will be the 2nd maybe 3rd guy off of our bench.

What has your better organization done since Jordan?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gasol just turned 34. He's not nearly as washed up as you seem to think. He averaged 17-10 last year.

His per 36minute numbers were the best he'd ever had with the Lakers.

He just played a lot fewer minutes as the Lakers sucked and they just pulled him out after games got out of hand.

....and the Bulls won 48 games last year.

I'm not saying the Bulls have the east locked up or anything, just refuting the story I'm hearing from Cleveland fans that seem to think they have it in the bag.
You are right but just to play devils advocate- his shooting percentages are trending downward. I don't think he's the go to scorer he once was either, which is something Da Bulls need this year. I still wanted him on the Cavs roster.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
This is a pretty funny quote considering what a laughing stock Chicago was under Krause in the post-Jordan era. Michael Wilbon, the biggest Bulls fan in the world, used to ridicule this organization for its continued and obvious failures.

Get a few high draft picks and get (and keep) a decent coach and all of a sudden an organization is top-notch. In that case, it looks like Cleveland is well on its way. =)

Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
You are right but just to play devils advocate- his shooting percentages are trending downward. I don't think he's the go to scorer he once was either, which is something Da Bulls need this year. I still wanted him on the Cavs roster.
His FG% is still pretty healthy and with the passers the Bulls have in guys like Noah I'm not overly concerned.

Basically, he's not at his prime but he's not fallen apart either and the Bulls have Mirotic and Gibson to give him nights off and shorter minutes so he fresh for the playoffs.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
This is a pretty funny quote considering what a laughing stock Chicago was under Krause in the post-Jordan era. Michael Wilbon, the biggest Bulls fan in the world, used to ridicule this organization for its continued and obvious failures.

Get a few high draft picks and get (and keep) a decent coach and all of a sudden an organization is top-notch. In that case, it looks like Cleveland is well on its way. =)
The Bulls definitely struggled but in the last 4-5 years they've done a good job of rebuilding but have suffered an unfortunate string of injuries and still managed 6 straight trips to the playoffs.

Hey, I'm a big fan of Lebron and am glad he went back to Cleveland but the resurgence of the Cavs is due to LEBRON deciding to come back (Despite the moron owners immature bridge burning). The only thing Clevelands management has contributed is a pile of high draft picks due to suck and luck.

In fact, Cleveland FIRED the guy that made all the moves that got them all the ammo to make the Love trade plus the young guys you think are already awesome.

So, explain to me how the impatient fool that owns Cleveland is doing an awesome job for firing the guy that set the stage for this years team because they started the season out rough during an obvious rebuild?

P.S. Just so you know, if Cleveland makes it to the Finals I will be rooting for them against anybody but the Spurs.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
The Bulls definitely struggled but in the last 4-5 years they've done a good job of rebuilding but have suffered an unfortunate string of injuries and still managed 6 straight trips to the playoffs.

Hey, I'm a big fan of Lebron and am glad he went back to Cleveland but the resurgence of the Cavs is due to LEBRON deciding to come back (Despite the moron owners immature bridge burning). The only thing Clevelands management has contributed is a pile of high draft picks due to suck and luck.

In fact, Cleveland FIRED the guy that made all the moves that got them all the ammo to make the Love trade plus the young guys you think are already awesome.

So, explain to me how the impatient fool that owns Cleveland is doing an awesome job for firing the guy that set the stage for this years team because they started the season out rough during an obvious rebuild?

P.S. Just so you know, if Cleveland makes it to the Finals I will be rooting for them against anybody but the Spurs.
I think we probably agree on more things than we disagree on. I'm a life-long Cavaliers fan and have had to put up with a myriad of decisions that have led to heartache. The Ron Harper for Danny Ferry trade. Craig Ehlo. Wayne Embry. Letting Carlos Boozer out of his contract a year early. The Decision. Comic Sans.

Cleveland has never been the model franchise, but I think it's funny when someone hails Jerry Krause as this ambassador of good-luck franchises.

Regardless, I'll concede: I'm rooting for both Cleveland and Chicago this year. I am partial to the Midwest and they're both good basketball cities. I've always envied Chicago's classic logo and uniforms.

As a note, I think Kyrie Irving is supremely overrated. Its Waiters that I think is the guy, despite the fact that no one in the organization will believe that Kyrie isn't second only to Chris Paul.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I think we probably agree on more things than we disagree on. I'm a life-long Cavaliers fan and have had to put up with a myriad of decisions that have led to heartache. The Ron Harper for Danny Ferry trade. Craig Ehlo. Wayne Embry. Letting Carlos Boozer out of his contract a year early. The Decision. Comic Sans.

Cleveland has never been the model franchise, but I think it's funny when someone hails Jerry Krause as this ambassador of good-luck franchises.

Regardless, I'll concede: I'm rooting for both Cleveland and Chicago this year. I am partial to the Midwest and they're both good basketball cities. I've always envied Chicago's classic logo and uniforms.

As a note, I think Kyrie Irving is supremely overrated. Its Waiters that I think is the guy, despite the fact that no one in the organization will believe that Kyrie isn't second only to Chris Paul.
Good post. Let's hope for a competitive season with a NEW face in the finals from the east.

I DO think Cleveland will likely be the team to beat in the east, just not neccessarily in their first year due to key play they need from some young guys in completely different roles than what they are used to.

This requires patience however and I fear that the Cavs owner might do something stupid like fire the coach or make some big trade moves if Cleveland starts out 9-11 like Miami did.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Good post. Let's hope for a competitive season with a NEW face in the finals from the east.

I DO think Cleveland will likely be the team to beat in the east, just not neccessarily in their first year due to key play they need from some young guys in completely different roles than what they are used to.

This requires patience however and I fear that the Cavs owner might do something stupid like fire the coach or make some big trade moves if Cleveland starts out 9-11 like Miami did.
Word is the Cavs are now going to flip some of the garbage contracts they got in a trade earlier this offseason and get another cheap rim protector (3M). I would imagine Ray Allen jumps on board. Sounds like they are going all in the season too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball