Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 PM

78,393 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
LoL

I opened up your Bleacher Report "article", skimmed it just now and found almost zero references to defense. In fact, Press F3 and type in "defense". There are two uses of the word. One is a vague reference to defense in the introduction. The second refers to the Cavaliers having horrible team defense with both players on the floor. Of course, we all know the Cavaliers had 3 other porous defenders that include Varejao and Thompson, who had 2 of the worst FG%A in the league, and a host of subpar swingmen not named Lebron James.

If you weren't able to decipher my previous message, I do apologize. I wasn't aware that it was written in such a convoluted way; I'll attempt to be more clear in the future, but as I re-read, it makes plenty of sense to me.

No, I did not respond to the wrong post.

You just called AV a "porous defender"?

And you are defending Waiters defense when I can find a hundred articles about the coaches and pretty much the entire NBA saying he's a crappy defender.

Mike Brown a little frustrated with Dion Waiters’ defense | ProBasketballTalk

Really, you are either related to Waiters or have no clue about the NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I watched those games too- and I have the same opinion.

Dion is athletic enough to be an above average to good defender. I think Lebron (forces) Dion to be committed on that end.

titans- kind of strange to use the Blatche example and then say- well here's blatche and this is how it will be with Dion. Blatche may just be an outlier yet he's your example.
If Dion is playing in China in three years I will make sure I come back on here and tell the forum community that you are the genius of this Board, but not quite the genius of Mathguy.
Per your own Cleveland fans, Dion is a fine defender....it's Varejao that sucks on defense.

What are you guys going to do about that crappy defensive center of yours?

P.S. Seriously though, among us adults, what happens if Dion isn't on board with the whole play defense and take 6 shots a game program?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:38 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Per your own Cleveland fans, Dion is a fine defender....it's Varejao that sucks on defense.

What are you guys going to do about that crappy defensive center of yours?

P.S. Seriously though, among us adults, what happens if Dion isn't on board with the whole play defense and take 6 shots a game program?
Anderson Varejao is one of the biggest oddities in the league. If you don't watch him continually (and you watched exactly 0 Cavs games last year), you'll get the impression that he's either the best defender or the worst defender in the league. Overall, you get a bit of both. What he isn't, though, is a great interior defender. Along with Love, Tristan Thompson, and Nikola Pekovic, I believe AV allowed the 4th highest field goals against percentage in the post. He and Tristan can rebound but they can't defend. Believe me, I like AV, because he uses what he has and puts it all out on the line, but he gets eaten up by good post players.

I have to say, this is one of the oddest message board conversations I've ever had. On one hand, you tell us that we are the biggest homers in the world and the next, on two occasions, it's like you won't allow us to tell us what's really wrong with some of our players. LOL

Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Mike Brown a little frustrated with Dion Waiters’ defense | ProBasketballTalk

Really, you are either related to Waiters or have no clue about the NBA.
I also wanted point out the hilarity in this post. Aside from using Bleacher Report as your source, you now use an article written by someone regarding his defense DURING PRESEASON.

Somewhere, Allen Iverson is saying, "PRESEASON?! PRESEASON?! We're talking about preseason?!"

Quote:
“He takes me out, talks to me and then puts me back in,” Waiters said after the Cavs’ 92-74 loss to the Bobcats on Tuesday before a sold-out crowd of 4,047 at the Canton Memorial Civic Center.
That's rich.

Forget about the intensity he showed coming off his injury to close out the final 22 games, let's talk about preseason when Mike Brown was still head coach.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I also wanted point out the hilarity in this post. Aside from using Bleacher Report as your source, you now use an article written by someone regarding his defense DURING PRESEASON.

Somewhere, Allen Iverson is saying, "PRESEASON?! PRESEASON?! We're talking about preseason?!"

That's rich.

Forget about the intensity he showed coming off his injury to close out the final 22 games, let's talk about preseason when Mike Brown was still head coach.
There are a million articles that make you look ill-informed on the topic. Homer.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I watched those games too- and I have the same opinion.

Dion is athletic enough to be an above average to good defender. I think Lebron (forces) Dion to be committed on that end.

titans- kind of strange to use the Blatche example and then say- well here's blatche and this is how it will be with Dion. Blatche may just be an outlier yet he's your example.
If Dion is playing in China in three years I will make sure I come back on here and tell the forum community that you are the genius of this Board, but not quite the genius of Mathguy.
I didn't say he would end up like Blatche, the point was that you can't put a lot of value in a late season run from a player on a team that has nothing to play for.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Note to Wall: try not to motivate good players on the same team as LeBron and KLove.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
The "best backcourt" is in the East?

Sounds like the Cavs/Wizards rivalry from LBJ's first Cleveland stint may be gaining teeth again.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Last 7 games of the Cavs season, with both Waiters and Irving on the floor.....they lost 4 games out of 7 against the worst teams in the east.

Here is their *intensity* getting blown out by the powerhouse Celtics at home.....

Boston Celtics at Cleveland Cavaliers Box Score, April 12, 2014 | Basketball-Reference.com

He made Avery Bradley look like an MVP candidate.

Oh but wait....the game before Waiters roughly managed to hold even against SG Ramon Sessions en route to giving Milwaukee their 15th win of their 15-16 win season by giving up 119points to them.

Yeah, Waiters is quite the stud taking on the garbage of the east and holding his own against journeymen SG's. lol.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Last 7 games of the Cavs season, with both Waiters and Irving on the floor.....they lost 4 games out of 7 against the worst teams in the east.

Here is their *intensity* getting blown out by the powerhouse Celtics at home.....

Boston Celtics at Cleveland Cavaliers Box Score, April 12, 2014 | Basketball-Reference.com

He made Avery Bradley look like an MVP candidate.

Oh but wait....the game before Waiters roughly managed to hold even against SG Ramon Sessions en route to giving Milwaukee their 15th win of their 15-16 win season by giving up 119points to them.

Yeah, Waiters is quite the stud taking on the garbage of the east and holding his own against journeymen SG's. lol.
So, we've got the preseason the the final few games of the season when their fate was already sealed. That's pretty good context.

Tony Snell and Doug McDermott are superior players. In fact, every Chicago Bulls player is better than every Cleveland Cavs player.

There ya have it. Discussion over. Nothing to see here folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball