Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:12 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
GSW....hope they can figure out that they need to take baby steps instead of trying to be like Magic, without his skillset yet...and throwing the ball away....they may have really gotten their eyes opened when they played the Spurs and paid the price for each turnover they had.....been a fan since the run TMC days, suffered for a lot of years..lol
I'm hoping & thinking the same. The Nets' game was a step in the right direction...only 10 turnovers, less than their opponent, and they won fairly easily. I think Kerr will keep their heads on straight, but with any young team it will take time to truly compete with the Spurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,288,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm hoping & thinking the same. The Nets' game was a step in the right direction...only 10 turnovers, less than their opponent, and they won fairly easily. I think Kerr will keep their heads on straight, but with any young team it will take time to truly compete with the Spurs.
The Net's game was definitely a step in the right direction. The team is deep, I took a break from watching, and when I came back, the second team was in there taking care of business! They have a lot of good players now, and maturing as a team as this season progresses will be exciting. Wonder how this team will play once David Lee is back....They are exciting to watch, seeing them go on 18-4 point runs, dominating is awesome. They just need to keep it together, and finish games off.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 PM

287 posts, read 237,047 times
Been a Spur fan since '89-'90 (Rookie year of the Admiral)...After that I am real interested in the Grizz. They are a hard-nosed team who took no shortcuts to get where they are. I like that.

On the flipside, I REALLY don't like any teams that the mass media (espn) tells all the sheeple to like and there is a a lot of hype sometimes more than substance such as LAL when they were a contender, MIA, LAC, etc.

I have a Q though for non-Spur fans...Do any of you dislike the Spurs because you are just tired of them always being one of the top teams. Like are you just so ready when they finally take their turn in the basement for a few years? No motive, I am just truly curious of peoples opinions on this?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I don't hate the Spurs (I want my team to become them), but I think a lot of the hate is due to casual basketball finding them "boring" for their machine-like consistency and lack of flashy play. Parker is probably their only "explosive" player, and they win due to a combination of talent and fundamentals, which isn't sexy and causes many some conSTERNation.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:35 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't hate the Spurs (I want my team to become them), but I think a lot of the hate is due to casual basketball finding them "boring" for their machine-like consistency and lack of flashy play. Parker is probably their only "explosive" player, and they win due to a combination of talent and fundamentals, which isn't sexy and causes many some conSTERNation.
There are a couple ways teams get hated:

-Obnoxious know-nothing bandwagon fans. These D-bags are numerous and every successful team gets them. (Spurs, Lakers, Heat etc.) It's not the teams fault.

-Sour grapes. Getting beaten by the team.

-Jerks on the team. A guy or two that you hate for whatever reason. (Noah of the Bulls def. rubs some folks the wrong way)

-Owners that are either hateable, stir the pot and are high profile (Looking at you Mr. Cuban lol) or otherwise a blight on basketball.

-Teams whose actions inspire hatred which would include in days past the Detroit leg breakers local 309 or more recently the Miami Heat's "big 3" formation.

Please note, these aren't my personal opinions...for example....I like Mark Cuban.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:54 PM

287 posts, read 237,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
-Obnoxious know-nothing bandwagon fans. These D-bags are numerous and every successful team gets them. (Spurs, Lakers, Heat etc.) It's not the teams fault.

-Sour grapes. Getting beaten by the team.

-Jerks on the team. A guy or two that you hate for whatever reason. (Noah of the Bulls def. rubs some folks the wrong way)

-Owners that are either hateable, stir the pot and are high profile (Looking at you Mr. Cuban lol) or otherwise a blight on basketball.

-Teams whose actions inspire hatred which would include in days past the Detroit leg breakers local 309 or more recently the Miami Heat's "big 3" formation.
I am wondering if there is another reason though Mathguy. I don't know because I am on the inside looking out so to speak. But I think if a team was ALWAYS at the top, always in the mix, and seemingly immune to the rules that affect other teams such as a success cycle followed by a couple years of rebuilding especially if my team maybe only makes the playoffs once every 5 years.

I am thinking that I may develop a disliking for such a team. It's not that that team would beat mine, it's more about luck, or circumstances or whatever the "secret sauce" is (because I think even Spurs fans would agree that there are many teams with many more athletes and more "talent") so it's not that the Spurs are more athletic, or more talented, but then how is it they are always at the top. Whatever the answer is, does it bother you non_Spurs fans that it seems it cannot be duplicated?

That is my question I guess- - Does it bother you that the Spurs way isn't being duplicated on your team? Does it bother you that the Spurs who are "too old" "not very talented" and "non-athletic" enjoy success where your team who almost certainly has more athletes cannot enjoy the same success even a small slice of it?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
...snip...

That is my question I guess- - Does it bother you that the Spurs way isn't being duplicated on your team? Does it bother you that the Spurs who are "too old" "not very talented" and "non-athletic" enjoy success where your team who almost certainly has more athletes cannot enjoy the same success even a small slice of it?
I realize this wasn't addressed to me and my basketball IQ is still around room temperature - but a team is always more than the sum of its parts. And if a team/franchise (doesn't matter the sport) consistently fields a competitive squad that collects end-of-season hardware - a tradition is born.

New guys coming in want to keep the success train rolling so they do whatever is necessary to improve their game.

The Yankees and St. Louis Cardinals know what that's about. As do the Montreal Canadiens. (At least, they used to.) As do the Patriots. As do the Spurs.

I dunno if you can really copy the concept except to try to build a solid infrastructure by hiring people who've won and drafting those who really want to.

As a Raptors fan, I don't know a heck of a lot about winning in the NBA. But I've been around the planet and other sports long enough to recognize the right stuff when I see it. I think the Raps have the people in place now to develop a winning tradition. And I'm sure they look to the Spurs and hope to emulate their success one day.

So, that's a windy way of saying no - I'm not bothered by the Spurs success. They earn it.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:57 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
I am wondering if there is another reason though Mathguy. I don't know because I am on the inside looking out so to speak. But I think if a team was ALWAYS at the top, always in the mix, and seemingly immune to the rules that affect other teams such as a success cycle followed by a couple years of rebuilding especially if my team maybe only makes the playoffs once every 5 years.

I am thinking that I may develop a disliking for such a team. It's not that that team would beat mine, it's more about luck, or circumstances or whatever the "secret sauce" is (because I think even Spurs fans would agree that there are many teams with many more athletes and more "talent") so it's not that the Spurs are more athletic, or more talented, but then how is it they are always at the top. Whatever the answer is, does it bother you non_Spurs fans that it seems it cannot be duplicated?

The Spurs are a great discussion so let me make a couple points.

1) The Spurs do have enormous talent, they've however aged and it's hard for them to stay healthy year over year. (hint: without looking how many repeat titles do they have?)

2) Spurs have anchored their success on arguably the best PF to ever play the game, there is some luck in that on top of the fact that he doesn't give a crap about pay cuts or reduced minutes or whatever and they got him because D. Robinson broke his leg. That there is some huge freakin' luck.

3) They are one of the better teams at developing talent (Kawhi Leonard). Other teams are good at this too but it can take patience and a lot of owners are frankly impatient morons with money. The Bulls are similar, they have Jimmy Butler that is probably as good whom wasn't a mega draft pick. Other teams have also made good choices.

4) Again with proper ownership, they never got rid of Pops after a bad season. They didn't jettison a "washed up" Ginobli after 2013....and he beasted in 2014. Basically the Spurs organizaion is well run. SOME teams have duplicated this but the problem is the owners....many of whom are jackasses. Dear lord, the Lakers hired a coach and gave him something like EIGHT GAMES before firing him.

In short, the Spurs biggest strength is some luck, enormous talent even if aging and a very patient owner that results in a long-term synergy on the organization.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,459,162 times
Quote:
Been a Spur fan since '89-'90 (Rookie year of the Admiral)...After that I am real interested in the Grizz. They are a hard-nosed team who took no shortcuts to get where they are. I like that.

On the flipside, I REALLY don't like any teams that the mass media (espn) tells all the sheeple to like and there is a a lot of hype sometimes more than substance such as LAL when they were a contender, MIA, LAC, etc.

I have a Q though for non-Spur fans...Do any of you dislike the Spurs because you are just tired of them always being one of the top teams. Like are you just so ready when they finally take their turn in the basement for a few years? No motive, I am just truly curious of peoples opinions on this?
Can't speak for everyone but I think most fans dislike the Spurs probably because they think they are "boring" for one and probably Popovich for another. Raptors are my #1 team but if I had to pick a Western team I would go Spurs. Love the way the organization is run from the top (Buford) to the bottom (Pop) and Pop could careless what the casual viewer thinks of his lineup for national TV games. Plus I was at the first game they played at the AT&T Center (think it was called the SBC center in 2002 when it opened though) so that's another good reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball