U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 AM
T-8 T-8 started this thread

23 posts, read 100,626 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody !!
I'm from Southern Italy and I'd like to talk about the NBA D-League !!
You can write down about all your points of view, but the milestone is this one >> D-League President Dan Reed said future plans are for having 30 D-League teams, everyone in order to be easier controlled by its NBA affiliate team. He also said that every D-League team should be based as close as possible to its NBA affiliate. And the question is: considering Dan Reed's words, which city do you think is more suitable to host a D-League expansion team ?

Here's my personal list.
Black typed are meant to be existing teams, red typed are meant to be expansion D-League teams, while HIGH-CASE TYPED are meant to be NBA affiliate teams.

1. albuquerque > PHOENIX SUNS
2. anaheim > LA CLIPPERS
3. austin > SAN ANTONIO SPURS (Austin Toros being owned by the Spurs)
4. bakersfield > SACRAMENTO KINGS
5. baltimore, md > WASHINGTON WIZARDS
6. birmingham, al > ATLANTA HAWKS
7. buffalo, ny > NEW YORK KNICKS
8. colorado > DENVER NUGGETS
9. columbia, sc > CHARLOTTE BOBCATS
10. columbus or cincinnati, oh > CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
11. dakota > MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
12. fort wayne > DETROIT PISTONS
13. hamilton, on > TORONTO RAPTORS
14. hartford, ct > BOSTON CELTICS
15. idaho > PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
16. iowa > CHICAGO BULLS
17. jacksonville, fl > ORLANDO MAGIC
18. little rock, ar > NEW ORLEANS HORNETS
19. los angeles > LA LAKERS (LA D-fenders being owned by the Lakers)
20. louisville, ky > INDIANA PACERS
21. nashville, tn > MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
22. pittsburgh, pa > PHILADELPHIA 76ers
23. providence, ri > NEW JERSEY NETS
24. rio grande > HOUSTON ROCKETS
25. san josŤ, ca > GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
26. sioux falls > MILWAUKEE BUCKS
27. spokane, wa > SEATTLE SUPERSONICS
28. tampa bay, fl > MIAMI HEAT
29. tulsa > DALLAS MAVERICKS
30. utah > UTAH JAZZ

Personal reasons.

1. Dan Reed said he expects every NBA team to control or to own (like LA Lakers or San Antonio Spurs do from the first day) one team: this will lead, he says, every team to easier allocate surplus players without sending them to Europe.
2. D-League originally was meant to involve quite absolutely small mountain west zone TV markets, except LA and Anaheim. Due to this, several NBA Eastern Conference teams got affiliated to D-League teams operating thousands miles away (e.g. Anaheim Arsenal > Orlando Magic), making "controlling players" somehow hard.
3. Locating expansion teams to "Division II" cities makes easier and more successfull, then, both involving the whole nation into the D-League project and pushing the efforts straight ahead.

Personal doubts.

1. Several US basketball minor leagues folded. They started with the best wishes, but met hard realities, and folded. Expanding to "Division I" cities (e.g. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincinnati and - perhaps - Louisville) can be a good effort to keep the league alive.
2. Little Rock is actually hosting the Arkansas RimRockers, who suspended their operations for the 2007-08 season, due to low-rated ticket sells. I'm way surprised with that, and hope they'll find a quick solution.

Now it's up to you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:23 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,245,233 times
I cant see the D-League with 30 teams, I think all the original teams have either folded or moved out west where they continue to struggle. The Asheville Altitude won 2 straight championships and then moved I think to Tulsa, The fayetteville Patriots had set Attendance records twice and then folded. the NBA teams will need to spend money wisely to help them and their "Partner in the D-league" if 30 teams is going to be a reality.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,999,994 times
While I can't speak for the Rimrockers product personally, basketball in Arkansas that is not the Razorbacks may be a tough sell. Hornets minor team might be a better fit in Beaumont TX. Baltimore SHOULD be a great city for minor pro basketball team but one has never succeeded, not even the alternative "big" leagues.

It's my belief that minor or developmental basketball in the US as a whole is viewed more as a joke or so totally sub-par that it is not even worth the effort if the tickets were free. I think a developmental league for a sport where most superstars peak a year or two out of college is sort of pointless. The best the NBA can ever hope to do is have a training ground for the journeyman athletes. There's never really been a lack of those guys to need a good developmental system. Baskteball isn't like baseball where you can fine tune your skills and knowledge of the game in the minors or be sent down to rest nor is it like hockey where you need to take time to adjust to the increased speed of the game in the bigs. You either come out of college and have it or you don't. The NCAA is the best developmental program for the NBA there is, unless the NBADL decides to start signing kids right out of prep school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball