Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Power Forward of all time
Tim Duncan 17 73.91%
Karl Malone 2 8.70%
Kevin Garnett 0 0%
Charles Barkley 2 8.70%
Dirk Nowitzki 2 8.70%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM

328 posts, read 434,442 times

Advertisements

Barkley is not a top 10 for me at all. Just a big mouth block who really did not make his teams much better like Jordon, Bird and other did.

Duncan

Just going by your list as I am sure many others should be mentioned.

Dirk and Malone were extremely good but Duncan just has done so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
Barkley is not a top 10 for me at all. Just a big mouth block who really did not make his teams much better like Jordon, Bird and other did.

Duncan

Just going by your list as I am sure many others should be mentioned.

Dirk and Malone were extremely good but Duncan just has done so much more.
Name me (not Duncan) 9 better power forwards better than Barkley.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
If I built a fantasy team of the all-time greatest players in each position, I'd pick Malone. If I want to build a team of role players around the best PF, I'd choose Duncan.
this makes no sense.

duncan playing along side mj, magic, bird, and kareem would fit perfectly. malone didnt interact well with players who could get their own shot. his entire career was built around stockton feeding him in the pick n roll. tims game has been tailor made to play along side guys who can get their own shot. the passing of magic/mj/bird would feed duncan and kareem perfectly, or they could just live off rebounding/blocks.

malones didnt work like that.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
HOF yes.

GOAT discussion? No way.
Remember what happened when the Bulls got Rodman in the 1995-96 season. By definition that should put him into the GOAT discussion.

I also think McHale should be in the discussion; he may well have been the greatest low post scorer ever except for Kareem. Another one that hasn't been mentioned much is Kevin Garnett who should get some consideration.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
this makes no sense.

duncan playing along side mj, magic, bird, and kareem would fit perfectly. malone didnt interact well with players who could get their own shot. his entire career was built around stockton feeding him in the pick n roll. tims game has been tailor made to play along side guys who can get their own shot. the passing of magic/mj/bird would feed duncan and kareem perfectly, or they could just live off rebounding/blocks.

malones didnt work like that.
I just feel that Duncan's skills are redundant in many ways, if your lineup already includes one of the great centers of all time. Mostly the same reason why I wouldn't put Dirk on an all-time great team, if I already had a forward like Bird, Lebron, Pippen.

Magic to Malone in the open court would be guaranteed points. Even though Karl had solid post skills, I don't think he'd clog the post as much as a "twin tower" lineup would with Duncan and Kareem/Wilt/Shaq/Russell/Hakeem. But because of personality issues and team cohesion, if I wanted to build a team around a all-time great PF, Karl and Charles can take a hike.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Remember what happened when the Bulls got Rodman in the 1995-96 season. By definition that should put him into the GOAT discussion.

I also think McHale should be in the discussion; he may well have been the greatest low post scorer ever except for Kareem. Another one that hasn't been mentioned much is Kevin Garnett who should get some consideration.
Yeah, I remember....I was at some of those games.
I think that during their 72-10 season I might have missed 2-3 games (watching on TV).

Utah Jazz at Chicago Bulls Box Score, June 1, 1997 | Basketball-Reference.com

This link will take you to the box score of game 1, 1997 finals. You can then arrow through to the whole 6 game series.

While Rodman did help contain Malone in a few games....Malone outright dominated him on a couple nights and you'd be hard pressed to find any game where he even held his own against Malone.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
I just feel that Duncan's skills are redundant in many ways, if your lineup already includes one of the great centers of all time. Mostly the same reason why I wouldn't put Dirk on an all-time great team, if I already had a forward like Bird, Lebron, Pippen.

Magic to Malone in the open court would be guaranteed points. Even though Karl had solid post skills, I don't think he'd clog the post as much as a "twin tower" lineup would with Duncan and Kareem/Wilt/Shaq/Russell/Hakeem. But because of personality issues and team cohesion, if I wanted to build a team around a all-time great PF, Karl and Charles can take a hike.
oh i get your way of thinking. its just flawed.

malone never played with a dominant center until he was on his last legs of his career. tim showed why your thinking is flawed for the first 5 years of his career along side robinson. he played along side many big men and they opened the floor quite nicely his whole career.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:18 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:

Malone and Duncan both have lethal 15 footers and play top-notch defense. Neither of them is going to clog anything and Duncan runs the floor just fine.

Personally, Duncan is my #1 and Malone #2 but you can't go wrong with either of those guys.

Barkley, Dirk....not enough defense imo.
Rodman....not enough offense.
Garnett....good all-around but quite Duncan\Malone level imo.

The tough part of the discussion is always if you are talking about "career" or "at thier peak for one game" type arguments.

Or kinda like the Kareem vs. Bill Walton comparison.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM

672 posts, read 789,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
What the what? Rodman played every game like a madman, was the one of only a couple who could defend Shaq, and rebounded like his life depended on it. But a lot of what he got away with was total trash, he couldn't sink freethrows, in fact, he had trouble scoring even the simplest of buckets.

Don't get me wrong, I held onto my McDonald's Rodman cup with the thermal changing hair color for far too long, but Rodman doesn't belong in a GOAT, and I don't even believe that he belongs in the HOF. If he hadn't been on the Bulls, surrounded by the rest of that team, few folks outside of Detroit would remember him (other than players who ran into his elbows) for basketball.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM

328 posts, read 434,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Name me (not Duncan) 9 better power forwards better than Barkley.

There are many on the list. Four are already on the OP list better then Barkley.

I wont post the names but you would then destroy my opinion.

Barkley was not as good as you think he was. He did nothing but push, shove and rebound.

No personal skills, never improved the teams he played on, selfish, big mouth and still is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball