U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM

51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times

Advertisements

Wasn't hearing much chatter as it got buried a bit in the other thread but this is HUGE news in the west IMO.

Seems like Dallas isn't really losing anything that is currently helping them "on court" so this could be big.

IMO you have GS, Dallas and Spurs (of course) as the threats in the west and one of those dang good teams won't even make the WCF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:18 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,532,917 times
A bunch of teams in the west are going to end their seasons unhappily.

I mean, OKC could be an 8 seed.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:37 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,783,614 times
I might be in the minority, but I wasn't impressed with Rondo when I was in Boston recently, and I don't think some Celtics fans were either.

I read this on Grantland today, Blue Rondo à la Dirk: Why the Mavs and felt it rang a lot of truth to me. On the other hand, Rondo might really energize this team after they've been demolished by West powers this season.

I'll wait and see how they mesh together. I wouldn't say they didn't give up anything that wasn't helping. Brendan Wright may be an 8th overall pick bust of the Warriors, but he is averaging 9 points and 4 rebounds off the bench and shooting 75% from the field this season and Dallas isn't deep in the front court.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:09 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,644,663 times
I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I want to see how he and Ellis adjust to each other.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,644,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I might be in the minority, but I wasn't impressed with Rondo when I was in Boston recently, and I don't think some Celtics fans were either.

I read this on Grantland today, Blue Rondo à la Dirk: Why the Mavs and felt it rang a lot of truth to me. On the other hand, Rondo might really energize this team after they've been demolished by West powers this season.

I'll wait and see how they mesh together. I wouldn't say they didn't give up anything that wasn't helping. Brendan Wright may be an 8th overall pick bust of the Warriors, but he is averaging 9 points and 4 rebounds off the bench and shooting 75% from the field this season and Dallas isn't deep in the front court.
I read that article earlier too. I have the same feeling. I feel like he is a very overrated player, but it could help him by playing with a better team.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Rondo does all the little things and doesn't need FGA's to hurt another team....hence his value.

Guys that need FGA's to hurt the other team are a dime a dozen in the league.

Let's be blunt. Dallas without this trade isn't going anywhere in the playoffs after maybe the 1st round.
So, making a move is just plain smart.

They also got him CHEAP in trade.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
A bunch of teams in the west are going to end their seasons unhappily.

I mean, OKC could be an 8 seed.

Memphis just won in San Antonio and ended the Warriors 16 game winning streak, and could very well be the best team right now. When you add in that TWO of those 4 won't even make the Western Conference finals! Then you have the blazers, Rockets and the Thunder with Durant & Westbrook and that's 7 of 8 teams that could realistically advance out West. And before you say "The Blazers are too young" I actually picked them to advance to the Western finals preseason, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they got there. Gonna be a WHOLE lotta teams that wish they got to play 16 games against the Sixers, Knicks, Hornets & Pistons instead of 8 combined games.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Memphis just won in San Antonio and ended the Warriors 16 game winning streak, and could very well be the best team right now. When you add in that TWO of those 4 won't even make the Western Conference finals! Then you have the blazers, Rockets and the Thunder with Durant & Westbrook and that's 7 of 8 teams that could realistically advance out West. And before you say "The Blazers are too young" I actually picked them to advance to the Western finals preseason, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they got there. Gonna be a WHOLE lotta teams that wish they got to play 16 games against the Sixers, Knicks, Hornets & Pistons instead of 8 combined games.
Agreed. There is no possible argument that the east is as tough and it's been this way for a while.

Used to be the opposite but that was many moons ago.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:45 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,402,276 times
I think the key to Dallas success with Rondo sits with Monta. He's like a little Carmelo ... likes to have the ball in his hands too much ... shoots too much.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:03 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times
I remember a Sunday afternoon game the year after the Celtics won the championship. Rondo torched the Mavs. I bet Cuban remembers that and was thinking "I gotta get this guy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or