U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:40 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,112,046 times

Advertisements

Yes, here we go with yet another "best of all time" list to kick around.

I got to thinking of some names that never come up that I think should, and to see how this sounds.

Now, first, my ultimate all-time team would be:

PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF LeBron James
PF Karl Malone
C Kareem Abdul-Jabaar

(Honorable mention: SF--Dr J, PF--Dirk Nowitzki, C--Wilt Chamberlain)

However, how about this team of names that don't get mentioned as often? Even though the 1st team is better, I think this team would give the 1st one a hard run, big-time.

PG Isiah Thomas
SG John Havlichek
SF Elgin Baylor
PF Elvin Hayes
C Shaquille O'Neal

Isiah Thomas--I think people forget about him because of his more recent troubling history and because he played in the Showtime Lakers and Larry Bird Celtics era, but he was outstanding at the point. With SG, I understand if people say Kobe or Oscar Robertson (and I like Jerry West at that position as well), but I think people forget about John Havlichek, who is in fact the Celtics #1 all-time scorer. Elvin Hayes is in the top 10 in scoring.

Even so, I could understand substituting Stockton for Isiah (he's #1 all-time in assists after all), Duncan or, even better (to me), Nowitzki for PF or Wilt/Russell for C. Many will go with Bird for SF, although I'm partial to Dr J. In fact, I'd actually be more inclined to have Nowitzki at PF, but the point of this post is to bring up names which seem to be forgotten but yet are very considerable. (The exception to that would be Shaq, I just loved him and think that especially if the Lakers-era Shaq shows up, he's just going to be an out & out monster.)

Have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,152,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, here we go with yet another "best of all time" list to kick around.

I got to thinking of some names that never come up that I think should, and to see how this sounds.

Now, first, my ultimate all-time team would be:

PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF LeBron James
PF Karl Malone
C Kareem Abdul-Jabaar

(Honorable mention: SF--Dr J, PF--Dirk Nowitzki, C--Wilt Chamberlain)

However, how about this team of names that don't get mentioned as often? Even though the 1st team is better, I think this team would give the 1st one a hard run, big-time.

PG Isiah Thomas
SG John Havlichek
SF Elgin Baylor
PF Elvin Hayes
C Shaquille O'Neal

Isiah Thomas--I think people forget about him because of his more recent troubling history and because he played in the Showtime Lakers and Larry Bird Celtics era, but he was outstanding at the point. With SG, I understand if people say Kobe or Oscar Robertson (and I like Jerry West at that position as well), but I think people forget about John Havlichek, who is in fact the Celtics #1 all-time scorer. Elvin Hayes is in the top 10 in scoring.

Even so, I could understand substituting Stockton for Isiah (he's #1 all-time in assists after all), Duncan or, even better (to me), Nowitzki for PF or Wilt/Russell for C. Many will go with Bird for SF, although I'm partial to Dr J. In fact, I'd actually be more inclined to have Nowitzki at PF, but the point of this post is to bring up names which seem to be forgotten but yet are very considerable. (The exception to that would be Shaq, I just loved him and think that especially if the Lakers-era Shaq shows up, he's just going to be an out & out monster.)

Have at it.
Lol, Dirk better than Duncan?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 AM

52,263 posts, read 42,036,123 times
There is really only SG and maybe PF where the best player at the position is fairly agreed upon.

So, really it's not that hard to make a team with "leftovers" and still be very competitive.

P.S. Duncan is pretty clearly the consensus best PF ever and if not...no offense to Dirk but his acheivements just aren't in Duncan's league largely due to defense. Malone is the best argument going.

Back to thread:

There are tons of overlooked guys from bygone eras like Pettit, Dominque Wilkins, Stockton too.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,341,323 times
Alex English is a guy you don't hear much about and could be in this category. He was a 6'7" small forward for Denver from 1976 to 1990. He averaged over 25 points per game 8 of his 15 years. He shot over 50% for his career.

In 1981 he shot .551 pct. FG%, 25.4 points/game, 6.8 rebounds/game and 5.3 assists/game.

I think Clyde Drexler was a great player who doesn't get the recognition he deserves, although I don't know if I'd call him 'forgotten.' He averaged 6.1 rebounds and 5.3 assist over his career, while being expected to be the scoring star a la a Carmelo or Kobe.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:00 PM

331 posts, read 214,734 times
Just to add to the discussion..

My all time forgotten team.

PG: Oscar Robertson
SG: Clyde Drexler (The second best two guard in the game after Jordan for almost a decade)
SF: Bernard King (This guy was a monster and one of the best players I've ever watched. He just couldn't stay healthy)
PF: Kevin McHale (Next to Hakeem, no one had better post moves. Overshadowed by Bird and too many injuries)
C: Moses Malone

Old 12-27-2014, 08:16 PM

52,263 posts, read 42,036,123 times
Double kudos for mentioning Drexler.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:41 AM

I put Nowitzki and Malone over Duncan because they're higher on the all-time scoring list (I say this realizing that all-time scoring is not the only thing) and I also admit to a bias--in college basketball, where I'm a Tar Heels fan, I absolutely cannot stand Wake Forest. (Most Carolina fans hate Duke the most, for me it's Wake Forest.) Tim Duncan played for Wake Forest, so I admit to that bias. I've said that I'd pull for the North Korean national team, if there were one, before I pulled for Wake Forest. (In the 80s, when I was a teen, and we still had the Soviet Union, you'd hear people saying "I'd pull for the Russians before I pulled for [whomever]."

Plus, I remember how in 2000, after the Spurs had won the title, many were calling Duncan the best player in the league. I thought that was way premature, and was saying "uh, what about Shaq?" Of course after Shaq & Co were winning titles for 3 years, with "Big Guy" getting a regular season MVP and 3 Finals MVPs, that talk died down for awhile.

Anyway.

Yes, I did think of Moses Malone & Kevin McHale. In fact, for center that's who I was going to have in my "forgotten" team. I gave Shaq the nod since he was taller, Moses was "only" 6-9 if I recall reading correctly. It felt weird having someone at center who wasn't 6-11 or 7 feet. I gave Dirk and Elvin Hayes the nod over Kevin due to their higher all-time scoring ranking (again, recognizing that's not everything).

Other names I considered:

PG--Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson
SG--Jerry West, Dominique Wilkins
SF--Billy Cunningham, Rick Barry
PF--Bob McAdoo
C---George Mikan

Old 12-28-2014, 05:52 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,894,810 times
Shaq 'forgotten'?

Anyways, this team against your ultimate team easily gives them a run:

Hakeem
Garnett
Pippen
Kobe
Kidd

Or

Shaq
Duncan
Bird
Kobe
Stockton

There's been so many great players that fielding a team to challenge your ultimate team is pretty easy.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,341,323 times
Most of these guys do not qualify as 'forgotton.' Oscar Robertson, Scottie Pippen, and several others mention hardly qualify.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Most of these guys do not qualify as 'forgotton.' Oscar Robertson, Scottie Pippen, and several others mention hardly qualify.
I admit (and did so earlier) that Shaq would not be. I'd think John Havlichek, Bob Cousy and Elvin Hayes would qualify, however. Isaiah Thomas is, I think, more "dismissed" due to his post-playing days controversies than he is "forgotten."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or