Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

The sports world lost a giant last night. And my community lost a dear friend and favorite son. I baby sat his children many years ago. I remember his driving me home and he was a very kind man. He was so much more than a basketball coach.

Former UNC coach Dean Smith dies at 83 | University | ChapelHillNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
School sports in general could use more coaches who as Michael Jordan said "The education he tried to give to the players was more as a person and not so much as a basketball (or any other sport) player, which I think has a lot more bearing and meaning to individuals"

R.I.P. Mr. Smith, you earned it.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:20 AM

It's a beautiful warm today in N.C. and the sky is definitely Carolina Blue. Dean Smith's light is shining through. With some very negative news about N.C. lately it surely is time to praise the man who made us all proud to be Tar Heels.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM

99,504 posts, read 4,489,231 times
And loyal to each and every one of his players...from the superstar to the substitute who hardly ever played....for life.

DeCock: For Dean Smith, loyalty came first | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 02-08-2015, 02:19 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
He was a great coach and mentor. Truly a legend.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:50 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
We remember Dean Smith as not only a great basketball coach, but also as a good man, a trail blazer in civil rights, and as a man his community could be very proud of.

We have lost some good people lately, and they will be hard to replace-----thank you for your wonderful contributions to mankind, society, basketball, and just plain decency------R.I.P Mr. Smith.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Be it college sports, pro sports, a president of a huge corporation, or just your next door neighbor--I wish there were more Dean Smith's in this world. There is an old saying that "coaching is teaching." He not only had a huge impact on his own players and NC fans, he reached other players, other coaches, other fans. For that matter people who weren't really into sports. Coaching-teaching-and most important mentoring was what Dean Smith will always be remembered for.

Something that says a lot to me these days is an award ceremony he attended at the White House last year. He along with a number of esteemed Americans was presented the Presidential Medal Of Freedom Award. It's the highest honor a citizen of this country can attain. The life that he led, the example that he set, set him apart. There are a number of quotes from numerous players, coaches, and fans that I've read online (too many people to name here) and they all share the same quote: "He taught me more than just the game of basketball. He taught me about life-and how to live it the right way."

Old 02-08-2015, 05:28 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
A great racing driver died in a crash 20 years ago and I thought the greatest tribute paid him at the time was by his team owner who said he was a better man than he was a driver and he was a GREAT driver.

I'd say the same could be said about Mr. Smith: He was a better man than he was a coach and he was a GREAT coach.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
What a mark he made in basketball.

Even Jordan, a man with a huge ego, seemed to be humbled by Dean Smith. I don't recall reading Jordan referring Jordan to Dean Smith by name, he always referred to him as "coach." Jordan would even refer to Phil Jackson as Phil and he was the man who Jordan won 6 NBA championships with. To me, that's an amazing sign of respect towards Dean Smith not only as a basketball coach but as a life coach as well.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Be it college sports, pro sports, a president of a huge corporation, or just your next door neighbor--I wish there were more Dean Smith's in this world. There is an old saying that "coaching is teaching." He not only had a huge impact on his own players and NC fans, he reached other players, other coaches, other fans. For that matter people who weren't really into sports. Coaching-teaching-and most important mentoring was what Dean Smith will always be remembered for.

Something that says a lot to me these days is an award ceremony he attended at the White House last year. He along with a number of esteemed Americans was presented the Presidential Medal Of Freedom Award. It's the highest honor a citizen of this country can attain. The life that he led, the example that he set, set him apart. There are a number of quotes from numerous players, coaches, and fans that I've read online (too many people to name here) and they all share the same quote: "He taught me more than just the game of basketball. He taught me about life-and how to live it the right way."
Sadly his dementia kept him from attending that ceremony but Mrs. Smith accepted the Medal for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball