Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
If I remember correctly, everybody but Morey sloooowly backed away from Royce White. Morey looked at the college numbers and thought he had found the next Magic Johnson.
Maybe he could have, maybe he couldn't have. His inability to play in the NBA had nothing to do with his skill or lackthereof, but rather due to a medical/illness/anxiety disorder so I'm not sure how a critique on Morey's analytics has anything to do with that particular case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Maybe he could have, maybe he couldn't have. His inability to play in the NBA had nothing to do with his skill or lackthereof, but rather due to a medical/illness/anxiety disorder so I'm not sure how a critique on Morey's analytics has anything to do with that particular case.
I think that's a pretty legitimate critique. It seems as if he couldn't look past the limits of his analytics long enough to see what everyone else saw up front.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:43 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think that's a pretty legitimate critique. It seems as if he couldn't look past the limits of his analytics long enough to see what everyone else saw up front.
That's an absurdly off-base opinion. No one disputed the fact that the kid could play. His inability to play in the NBA had zero to do with talent, analytics or the game of basketball, in general.

On draft night, the Rockets were given an A- by NBA Draft Net for their selections of White, Jeremy Lamb, and Terrance Jones.

Yahoo gave them a B.

CBS Sports gave Houston a bad grade based on their Jeremy Lamb at #12 selection, but had this to say about White at #16: Royce White (16): Super high upside pick at a nice decent spot. No big reach, no huge downside at this spot. White can be dangled as a carrot for several teams, and brings a lot to the Rockets if he stays. Terrific pick.

Stop playing revisionist history and re-scoring a draft many years later as if you had inside knowledge that the kid wouldn't pan out before the draft; you didn't know and neither did any other NBA GMs. They took an uber-talented kid #16 overall and he didn't pan out. News flash: most NBA draft picks do not pan out, and once you start getting into the teens, it's just an absolute crap shoot. I don't even like the Rockets - in fact, they're one of my least favorite teams - but don't be so blinded by this anti-Rockets/anti-Morey (in addition to anti-Royce White) sentiment that you just throw anything at the wall and hope it sticks; there's zero reason to hold some GMs to different standards than others.

So no, it's an absolutely ill-informed opinion and not legitimate critique. The Rockets made two solid selections with White and Jones and unfortunately, one of them didn't pan out. Of the remaining 40-some odd picks, you'd only have been better off if you had selected 5-6 different players. It's not as if they took the kid #2 overall, leaving a dearth of talent that you say, "Oh, what could have been." I'd also like to mention that those 5-6 players that you'd rather have, you only know that because of hind's site. It's so easy to look back and say, Oh, yeah, we should have taken him then. But at the time, would you have really taken Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger, Kyle O'Quinn, or Robert Sacre over Royce White or Terrance Jones? Maybe, maybe not.

Welcome to the draft folks, it's an inexact skill and people science.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 02-24-2015 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball