U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 1,598,227 times

Advertisements

Why do fans support basketball from pro to the NCAA? I give you the reasons I have stopped my support....

One: the rules of the game has changed so much that it is hardly recognizable. For example, traveling, palming the ball and who initiates first contact when calling fouls no long exist.

Two: What is with all these time outs...I mean why up to 24 time outs including TV time outs and video replay in both pro and college. No other sport has anything close to these many time outs. Two times up the court and a time out seems to be the norm.

Three: give me a break....68 teams in the NCAA playoff? Why not break it up into three divisions like they do in football, etc.There is not a chance in hell that a team playing Div II or III of winning the National Championship. Most of the early round games are a joke. Cut down the teams to 24 in each division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,392,796 times
Ummm ... NFL has 6 TOs per game plus two at 2-minute warnings = 8 total TOs. NBA has 6 TOs per game.

NCAA tournaments have different divisions. The ones you are seeing on TV is Div I.
Here's the Div II tourney: 2015 Division II Men's Basketball Tournament | NCAA.com
They're at the Final Four already.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:22 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Why do fans support basketball from pro to the NCAA? I give you the reasons I have stopped my support....
I guess people who aren't you have different tastes than you. Weird, huh?

Quote:
One: the rules of the game has changed so much that it is hardly recognizable. For example, traveling, palming the ball and who initiates first contact when calling fouls no long exist.
Sports change. Football, baseball, hockey - all have changed just as much as basketball.

Quote:
Two: What is with all these time outs...I mean why up to 24 time outs including TV time outs and video replay in both pro and college. No other sport has anything close to these many time outs. Two times up the court and a time out seems to be the norm.
That's not new in basketball - so it does nothing to explain why you used to like basketball but now do not.

Quote:
Three: give me a break....68 teams in the NCAA playoff? Why not break it up into three divisions like they do in football, etc.There is not a chance in hell that a team playing Div II or III of winning the National Championship. Most of the early round games are a joke. Cut down the teams to 24 in each division.
Um... there are three divisions in NCAA basketball - Divisions II and III compete in their own tournaments. As for the size of the field, less than 20% of Division I schools make the NCAA Division I Tournament. That's a lot smaller than the postseason field for any major pro league (it would be the equivalent of a mere 6 NBA teams making the playoffs. Here's a solution - tune out the first couple of rounds. Problem solved.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM

51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Seriously? Complaining that a div 2 or 3 team can't win? Wow.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:46 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,193,301 times
Their shoes squeak on the floor.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM

4,172 posts, read 4,151,544 times
^^So annoying I know. Haha.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 AM

1,743 posts, read 958,564 times
There are a lot of timeouts in college basketball - every four minutes and unlike NBA, they disregard team timeouts and still will take the under 16, under 12, under 8, and under 4 timeouts even if a team called timeout with 16:20 to go.

They also need to make the men's shot clock shorter. 30 at the longest but I wouldn't even mind 25.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:11 AM

939 posts, read 648,074 times
If I were in charge of College hoops, I would: Move back the 3 point line; limit teams to 2 time outs per half (with TV time outs, it's ridiculous the way coaches micro manage); stop the incessant replays in the last 2 minutes of a game; make it a 30 second shot clock; and penalize teams for deliberately fouling when they are hopelessly down late in games- 2 shots And the ball. Basketball is a great game, but the last 2-3 minutes literally take 20-25 to play!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM

32,437 posts, read 26,292,401 times
give me a break, if you want to find something to complain about, that is easy enough to do. rules changes? really? you want rules changes? lets get to the 70s when pro stock racing was big shall we? they had rules changes WEEKLY, mostly the weight breaks for the fords because they were dominating the fields at the time. or lets go to the 80s in trans am racing when the audi quatros were starting to dominate the fields. they also had rules changes quite often, mostly a constant reduction of tires sizes and boost pressures.

so grouse about the constant changes being made, but remember a bad day playing sports is better than a great day at work. and a horrible day racing is better than just about anything, except sex.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,594,593 times
I dislike the new jerseys and constantly changing team colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or