Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Don't overreact over one game because if the Clippers can't win game 2 what happened last night means nothing.
To some extent I agree, and it's only one game. However, last night the Spurs looked a couple steps slower than the Clippers. It wasn't just the Clippers' torrid 3-pt shooting; they were getting to the basket, and seemed faster to the ball for most of the game. Even when the Spurs got close a couple times (within about 7-8 pts), the final result never seemed in doubt.

I just don't think the Spurs have the legs anymore to keep up with the Clippers for four quarters. Sure, the young guys like Leonard, and Mills can, but Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, and Diaw seemed to slow down in the 4th.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm humbly picking the Clippers to win it all. [I do like them, but want the Spurs to repeat before their run is over.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Jordan scared the Spurs to death last night. With all of the hustle and defense the Clippers played - that game is totally different without Jordan making the Spurs either rush their shots, or just dribbling and retreating out of the paint all together.

How many times did Griffin hit the floor last night? Goodness - he posterized Baynes a couple of times. Baynes did what he was supposed to do, but dang those dunks were nasty.

That game was played at a crazy pace at times. Anyone who says that college basketball is not far off from the pros needs to watch that game. It is a night and day difference referring to the speed of the game.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,185 times
Quote:
Don't overreact over one game because if the Clippers can't win game 2 what happened last night means nothing.
Not related to this game at all, just looking at their mileage relative to other playoff runs in history (3 deep trips in the postseason is a historical sign of fatigue), lack of home court all postseason, and health/energy throughout the regular season. Their playoff bracket is filled with the most athletic teams, rather than the likes of Dallas, Grizzlies and Blazers. I still think they can reach the 2nd round.

As for the game, they have to stop Griffin from doing whatever he wants-- maybe assign Leonard to Blake on defense. They also need an answer for DJ, who's looking DPOY-esque. I trust Pop to make adjustments and make Game 2 competitive.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
How do you figure...if the Clips defend their home court it is over in 6.
If the Clippers lose game 2 then everything they did in game 1 would mean nothing.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,020 times
I believe in the Spurs to make adjustments, but if they lose Game 2 then I don't see them winning 4 of the next 5 games.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How many times did Griffin hit the floor last night? Goodness - he posterized Baynes a couple of times. Baynes did what he was supposed to do, but dang those dunks were nasty.

That game was played at a crazy pace at times. Anyone who says that college basketball is not far off from the pros needs to watch that game. It is a night and day difference referring to the speed of the game.
Yeah, without Splitter the Spurs are thin up front. While Baynes brings good energy, he just doesn't have enough length to protect the basket. Without Splitter the Spurs don't have a true C.

Regarding the pace, there were a few stretches in the second half when the game was absolutely ugly. Both teams were rushing, and taking terrible shots. But in the long run, that probably favors the Clippers because it will wear down the Spurs.

The next game probably is a must win for the Spurs. But even if they lose game 2, if they can win 3 & 4 at home, they still have a decent chance.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:16 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
If the Clippers lose game 2 then everything they did in game 1 would mean nothing.
Not true. I understand the conventional wisdom and it making life more difficult,... it's still one more win on the board.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not true. I understand the conventional wisdom and it making life more difficult,... it's still one more win on the board.
If the Clippers Lose game 2 then they will be going to Texas tied up at 1-1 giving the spurs the home court advantage. That's why nothing is accomplished unless the home team wins the first two games not just one.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'd rather watch Hawks vs. Spurs instead of Cavs vs. Warriors. Call me boring, but I'd rather see teams that value playing together and play team ball then watch stars build mansions shooting 6-80 trying to outduel the other.
The Warriors don't play "team ball"? I guess you haven't watched them since Mark Jackson was canned.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:27 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,459,162 times
Quote:
If the Clippers Lose game 2 then they will be going to Texas tied up at 1-1 giving the spurs the home court advantage. That's why nothing is accomplished unless the home team wins the first two games not just one.

A series doesn't start until the home team loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball