Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I think Detroit's sports teams are all that keep people here lol, plus it gets peoples minds of the bad economy.
The Lions, on the other hand, are the number one reason why people leave Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The Lions, on the other hand, are the number one reason why people leave Detroit.
I know, and what's crazy is that they still sell out. It baffles me because this season we started off 6-2, I bought a expensive jersey and was excited. Then they lost almost every game after that
It's almost like the team has a curse, but really William clay ford needs to sell the team.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
ye but who cares about the stanley cup, hockey is a dumb sport and their trophy has no worth at all. Nba and NFL is what its all about!!!
Hockey? I thought they were still on strike. Guess no one even pays any attention anymore.

Geez Im a big sports fan but I rate Hockey down there with Golf, watching paint dry and watching grass grow.

I hope your Hockey team wins.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
So many people like the red wings, that it makes people hate them too. I do agree some wings fans are rude though lol. I went to a game last month and a guy behind me spilled his beer on me, then tried to wipe it off! I'm like get your hand off me lol. I remember when the stars won the 99' cup, and eddie belfour was good, not sure who you have now.
Yeah, the fans for Detroit have left a REALLY, REALLY bad taste in most peoples mouth around here. I've never seen anything like it before. Eddie The Eagle was great. Marty Turco is our #1 man in goal w/ Mike Smith to take his place on nights off.

I don't see how anyone can say watching a hockey game is boring especially in person. They are SOOOO exciting. I don't get people that leave a hockey game early when they think one team has it won by a point or two w/ 5-10minutes still left. There is a LOT of game still left. Some of THE BEST plays (and fights ) happen in the last minute of the game.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 AM

262 posts, read 300,044 times
no one cares about hockey but in baseball basketball and football its only one word.

BOSTON

Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 AM

718 posts, read 2,361,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yeah, the fans for Detroit have left a REALLY, REALLY bad taste in most peoples mouth around here. I've never seen anything like it before. Eddie The Eagle was great. Marty Turco is our #1 man in goal w/ Mike Smith to take his place on nights off.

I don't see how anyone can say watching a hockey game is boring especially in person. They are SOOOO exciting. I don't get people that leave a hockey game early when they think one team has it won by a point or two w/ 5-10minutes still left. There is a LOT of game still left. Some of THE BEST plays (and fights ) happen in the last minute of the game.
I completely agree! I was born and raised on ACC basketball and football in NC. I would generally watch the Cup finals, but never really cared on hill of beans about hockey. Then we moved to Nashville, and the Predators came to town a few years later. I can still remember my first game, New Year's Day, 1998 against the St. Louis Blues. I was hooked! We bought season tickets from the until we moved to Austin.

IMO, these NHL players are some of the most talented athletes in the world. They work hard and practice hard. They are in the community supporting the kids and anything else they can. Plus, when was the last time you heard a hockey player being investigated for lying to federal prosecutors about steriod use, or being arrested for beating up their wifes or in a night club shootout?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
I completely agree! I was born and raised on ACC basketball and football in NC. I would generally watch the Cup finals, but never really cared on hill of beans about hockey. Then we moved to Nashville, and the Predators came to town a few years later. I can still remember my first game, New Year's Day, 1998 against the St. Louis Blues. I was hooked! We bought season tickets from the until we moved to Austin.

IMO, these NHL players are some of the most talented athletes in the world. They work hard and practice hard. They are in the community supporting the kids and anything else they can. Plus, when was the last time you heard a hockey player being investigated for lying to federal prosecutors about steriod use, or being arrested for beating up their wifes or in a night club shootout?
I totally agree. Our first game was in 94 when I was working out by the Stars practice facility and got free tickets from a customer that was a trainer for them. Hooked ever since. There are TONS of people that had never really watched it or been to a game that after we give them tix to go to a game they are HOOKED! It is AWESOME! There is NOTHING like it.

Not just that but they are in better physical shape than ANY other sports athlete. They get a REAL workout in their game. Could you see half of any of the baseball players trying to run for more than 15 minutes??? They would be passing out. Don't see many NHL players w/ beer guts.

Sadly, I can think of one bad time........ Eddie. When he met some girl in a bar and they went back to a hotel, The Mansion on Turtle Creek. He was drunk and when they got there and in the lobby the girl went nuts and started saying he assualted her. I think she played him, imho. But it is true. You don't see them getting into the trouble like others sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball