Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the NBA get rid of Hack-a-Shaq?
Yes 6 33.33%
No 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So, if a baseball player cannot hit a curve ball, should the opposing pitcher be kept from throwing curveballs?
If a team's middle linebackers aren't good tacklers, should the opposing team not be allowed to run up the gut?

How can this strategy be mitigated? Practice freethrow shooting instead of dunks.
It's the most BASIC shot and skillset.
It's one of the first things you learn in basketball.
It's the only unblockable shot in basketball.
It's something that you can practice on your own.
It's a skill that can be improved.
If kids can make freethrows, why can't professionals?
If a baseball player can't hit a curve, he wouldn't be playing baseball. If a linebacker can't tackle, he wouldn't be playing football. Tell a pro basketball owner that a 21 year old Shaq is available to sign a contract, they would sign him in a heartbeat and we all know that to be true. That's just the way it is.

I understand your complaint, but at the same time those kind of players are going to play in the NBA.

I am just tired of watching the game being destroyed by the Hack-A-Shaq fouls. It slows the game down, and to be honest it makes me want to change the channel and just wait to see who won the game later which is exactly what I did in last night Clippers/Rockets game.

If the NBA wants to prevent this, which they may or may not, then by making it the option of the fouled team to decide on freethrows or taking the ball out of bounds will solve this major problem.

Rules have already been changed for the betterment of the game, they widened the foul lane, 24 second shots, this too can be considered a rule for the betterment of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
It's ugly, but it's a good strategy. These are pros. You should have learned how to make free throws in grade school. I hope they don't get rid of this rule to bail out those guys with terrible free throw percentages.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:06 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
If a baseball player can't hit a curve, he wouldn't be playing baseball. If a linebacker can't tackle, he wouldn't be playing football. Tell a pro basketball owner that a 21 year old Shaq is available to sign a contract, they would sign him in a heartbeat and we all know that to be true. That's just the way it is.

I understand your complaint, but at the same time those kind of players are going to play in the NBA.

I am just tired of watching the game being destroyed by the Hack-A-Shaq fouls. It slows the game down, and to be honest it makes me want to change the channel and just wait to see who won the game later which is exactly what I did in last night Clippers/Rockets game.

If the NBA wants to prevent this, which they may or may not, then by making it the option of the fouled team to decide on freethrows or taking the ball out of bounds will solve this major problem.

Rules have already been changed for the betterment of the game, they widened the foul lane, 24 second shots, this too can be considered a rule for the betterment of the game.

Ok ... replace "can't" with "not as well as others". Not all batters and linebackers are equally talented at everything they do. If a linebacker is terrible at pass coverage, are teams allowed to exploit that weakness? If a batter's average is significantly lower against the curveball, are you going to keep throwing fast balls?

Again, if the NBA wants to prevent the game from being gummed up (and I'm not sure if I agree that the game is radically changed for the worst) then don't reward teams that chooses to put players who are bad at freethrows out there.

Btw, not all big men in the NBA are so bad at FT's that they become a liability. It's not like it's a rampant problem. It gets visibility only because the "star" players are bad.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
It's ugly, but it's a good strategy. These are pros. You should have learned how to make free throws in grade school. I hope they don't get rid of this rule to bail out those guys with terrible free throw percentages.
If you aren't a good free throw shooter then WORK ON YOUR FREE THROWS. I think most players who aren't good at it could improve, and if they don't/won't then they will continue to be a liability to their team. I would hate to see the NBA step in and try to do something about this when the onus is on the player.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If you aren't a good free throw shooter then WORK ON YOUR FREE THROWS. I think most players who aren't good at it could improve, and if they don't/won't then they will continue to be a liability to their team. I would hate to see the NBA step in and try to do something about this when the onus is on the player.
Exactly. I think I heard about at Rockets practice, Kevin McHale would sent Dwight Howard to the other end of the court by himself to work on free throws. No way a professional should shoot under 60% from the free throw line, and that's a generous number.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM

906 posts, read 711,920 times
Well, I heard once that in practice Shaq would make 80 of his ft, its just in game conditions and tiredness that makes it difficult. So, they do practice..its just the big hands make it harder to shoot. I should know, I have strangely small hands for 6 ft and Im lights out shooting if I get going. Kobe has small hands too..couldnt palm the ball easily when they changed years back. Me? I cant even palm a womans ball lol

Last edited by gumisgood; 05-05-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ok ... replace "can't" with "not as well as others". Not all batters and linebackers are equally talented at everything they do. If a linebacker is terrible at pass coverage, are teams allowed to exploit that weakness? If a batter's average is significantly lower against the curveball, are you going to keep throwing fast balls?

Again, if the NBA wants to prevent the game from being gummed up (and I'm not sure if I agree that the game is radically changed for the worst) then don't reward teams that chooses to put players who are bad at freethrows out there.

Btw, not all big men in the NBA are so bad at FT's that they become a liability. It's not like it's a rampant problem. It gets visibility only because the "star" players are bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I agree with the part in bold.

Anyone remember Chuck Hayes? He's a career 61% free throw shooter (stats).

Before

Chuck Hayes Free Throws

What Practice Will Do

Chuck Hayes Goes 8-8 From Free Throw Line

Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
My solution for the problem is what happens in the NFL. Give teams the option to decline the penalty.

In other words - in the bonus situation, in fouls off the ball, give teams the option to take the ball out of bounds (declining the penalty) OR shoot free throws.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My solution for the problem is what happens in the NFL. Give teams the option to decline the penalty.

In other words - in the bonus situation, in fouls off the ball, give teams the option to take the ball out of bounds (declining the penalty) OR shoot free throws.

Won't this make the game even more unwatchable? Isn't that what the purported "problem" is?
Again, why take that part of the strategy away?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I agree all players should know how to make free throws. But this is getting so out of hand it is actually ruining the game. When I am getting bored of a playoff game due to constant fouling, I think the game is being hurt by it.

My correction to this problem would be: Once a team is in the penalty, all non shooting fouls will be a choice by the team that was fouled to have the option of taking the ball out of bounds or they can shoot the freethrows. Such a simple resolution to this problem.
I'm good with this ^^^

I love the NBA but foul shooting (of any kind) in the last 4 minutes or so in 4th quarters is just boring. A team can have an 8 point lead with 1 minute left and the opponent keeps fouling immediately dragging the game out for another 20 minutes. Of course college is the same but for me, basketball is tedious when it's all about foul shots, timeouts and fouling to stop the clock.

The idea above would largely solve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball