Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:26 PM

217 posts, read 206,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
At the end of the day, what matters is did a player win or lose. Jordan won...he was the best player in the league...6>2.
But basketball is a team game......

Using that logic, Robert Horry is a better player then Michael Jordan 7>6. See how asinine and ridiculous that reasoning is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,852,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
But basketball is a team game......

Using that logic, Robert Horry is a better player then Michael Jordan 7>6. See how asinine and ridiculous that reasoning is?
But a Lebron/Jordan comparison isn't a role player vs superstar. They are both players that were/are the best in the game for 10+ years. They both put up nice stat lines (Jordan's probably a little better). Thus, the only deciding factor is who won more and who performed better in the biggest games. If Jordan has better stats, many more championships and less bad performances in big games - he's the better player. You can still like Lebron better, but don't let that cloud your judgement.

It's similar to the KG vs Duncan debate. One can argue that despite similar stats, KG was a better player that simply played on a bad team. But at the end of the day Duncan has 5 rings and several Finals MVPs - thus, he will always be ranked way ahead of KG. Look at players like Malone and Barkley - despite basketball being a team game, they will always be ranked behind players like Duncan and Hakeem.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:39 PM

Fair enough. It just gets annoying when people say something along the lines of "X player is better then Y player because X player has more rings." It's a lazy argument and fails to include other variables (i.e coaching, roster) as to why certain teams win championships.

And I don't necessarily believe that Lebron James is a better player then Michael Jordan nor do I really care. I don't think that the NBA has ever had a player like Lebron James, and that is what makes him special and so much fun to watch. On another note, I don't understand all of the hate and criticism of him jumping ship in Cleveland, that team was awful and if guys like Jordan and Kobe where in the same position as James it would be hard for me to believe they would be content with such pathetic teammates.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,056,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Fair enough. It just gets annoying when people say something along the lines of "X player is better then Y player because X player has more rings." It's a lazy argument and fails to include other variables (i.e coaching, roster) as to why certain teams win championships.

And I don't necessarily believe that Lebron James is a better player then Michael Jordan nor do I really care. I don't think that the NBA has ever had a player like Lebron James, and that is what makes him special and so much fun to watch. On another note, I don't understand all of the hate and criticism of him jumping ship in Cleveland, that team was awful and if guys like Jordan and Kobe where in the same position as James it would be hard for me to believe they would be content with such pathetic teammates.
the league never had a player like Dirk or Shaq, doesnt mean either is better than MJ
the greats didnt jump ship, clearly it weighed on him hence the return to cleveland

Old 06-15-2015, 06:23 PM

If you read the post of mine that you quoted, you would see that I never said that James was better then Jordan. My point is that Lebron is a once in a lifetime player who possesses a skill set that the league has never seen. If you don't think he is a great player, then I don't know what to say to you.

Also "the greats" (I'm assuming you are referring to Kobe and Jordan since you never specified who "the greats" were) never had to jump ship because they played on teams that had competent personnel that surrounded they're star player with other all stars and role players. When James split from Cleveland, they finished with the worst record in the league the following season. That says it all.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:40 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,657,157 times
So Kobe never played on a bad team ? WOW

His peak years in 05-07 & part of 08 until Gasol came he carried a team full of bums like smush & Kwame to the playoffs,ten 50 point games in a season,81 points & 62 in 3 Quarters ( Let that sink in for a minute )

Like Durant said the other day people forget how great Kobe was,Lebron is Great also but he needed an All star team to reach the top & still lost to Dallas & San Antonio.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
His peak years in 05-07 & part of 08 until Gasol came he carried a team full of bums like smush & Kwame to the playoffs,ten 50 point games in a season,81 points & 62 in 3 Quarters ( Let that sink in for a minute )
I never said Kobe never played on bad teams. Those 2005-2007 Laker teams were terrible. And guess what? Those teams never sniffed the finals......unlike the ****ty Cavaliers teams that Lebron has carried to the finals in 2007 and now this season. Let that sink in for a minute.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM

Lebron had a great Cavs team bro, Ill take Mo Williams over Smush parker any day of the week,Larry hughes,Drew Gooden,Donyell Marshall ,Damon jones over Luke Walton & Kwame if my life depended on it Lol

Stop making a fool of yourself with those 05 Laker teams not sniffing the finals, You think Kobe & Luke Walton were gonna makit out the West at a time where Dallas,San Antonio & Phoenix was in there prime lol

Lebron prime years was with D wade,Bosh, Ray allen, Mike Miller etc etc,Kobe prime was with SMUSH & he still brought terror on the league.Kobe in 06-08 is something only Jordan can relate too.He was getting cheered as Mvp in road arenas. Let that sink in once again .

Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Now he back with another big 3 in Kyrie & Kevin Love to help him on his road to make it out an Eastern Conference so terrible that some high school teams around the nation would've made it out the East .

Put the Cavs in the West & Lebron would've been crying about the heat & cramps again lol

Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Lebron had a great Cavs team bro, Ill take Mo Williams over Smush parker any day of the week,Larry hughes,Drew Gooden,Donyell Marshall ,Damon jones over Luke Walton & Kwame if my life depended on it Lol
Both supporting casts were ****. That's obvious

No, i don't think those teams were going to make it to the NBA finals. In fact, those teams couldn't even make it out of the first round of the playoffs or even into the playoffs for that matter. Can you image if a team led by Lebron failed to make the playoffs or even made an early exit in the postseason? The media and ignorant fans would have a field day. And just because fans in opposing arenas cheered for Bryant doesn't mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball