Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 AM

6,328 posts, read 3,582,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
See 2011 Dallas Mavericks improbable run through the Lakers, OKC, and Miami with Dirk Nowitzki as the only star on the team taking down Lebron and Dwayne Wade and Bosh.
I don't think that was quite as comparable although on paper the team they beat had three very good players. The team chemistry was just nowhere near where it needed to be yet. If you compare the Mavs vs this Cavs team though and take away Dirk and Lebron respectively, I think Jason Terry and Jason Kidd outweigh the Cavs front court. And Chandler defensively was on his game probably equal to Moz and Thompson. I forget who else was on that Mavs team. Berea I think? I think he had some good offensive games, maybe equal to what Delly is doing on the defensive end?

It was definitely close to what Lebron is doing, but the Mavs didn't have to deal with their #2 and #3 players going down with season ending injuries. That is a big factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Lebron isn't making Mozgov play better than any center for the Warriors.
I would disagree with regards to Mozgov's offensive production. I think Lebron does help Moz and many others in those areas. It is what he has Lebron so good for his entire career.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,931,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I don't think that was quite as comparable although on paper the team they beat had three very good players. The team chemistry was just nowhere near where it needed to be yet. If you compare the Mavs vs this Cavs team though and take away Dirk and Lebron respectively, I think Jason Terry and Jason Kidd outweigh the Cavs front court. And Chandler defensively was on his game probably equal to Moz and Thompson. I forget who else was on that Mavs team. Berea I think? I think he had some good offensive games, maybe equal to what Delly is doing on the defensive end?

It was definitely close to what Lebron is doing, but the Mavs didn't have to deal with their #2 and #3 players going down with season ending injuries. That is a big factor.

Caron Butler was out for the rest of the season after tearing his ACL and he was arguably their #2 option.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Caron Butler was out for the rest of the season after tearing his ACL and he was arguably their #2 option.
Forgot about Caron Butler.

Still though, Cavs had certainly had to deal with far more disruptions to their roster this year with even guys like Verajio going down early in the season and making some pretty big in-season trades.

And while their is still games to be played and the Warriors could still very well win the series, as was mentioned earlier, this Warriors team has been historically good. Not just a 58 or 62 win team. 67 wins puts them up there.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,931,075 times
Quote:
Forgot about Caron Butler.

Still though, Cavs had certainly had to deal with far more disruptions to their roster this year with even guys like Verajio going down early in the season and making some pretty big in-season trades.

And while their is still games to be played and the Warriors could still very well win the series, as was mentioned earlier, this Warriors team has been historically good. Not just a 58 or 62 win team. 67 wins puts them up there.
Sure but they also had a far easier road to the Finals too. How many teams can afford to have their best player sit out for 2 weeks and still be a #2 seed? The Mavericks had to beat the Lakers, who were the two time defending champions to get to the Finals, and the Cavs had to beat who? A team that hadn't made it to the playoffs in a couple of years, a team with a lameduck head coach and a team that hadn't made it to the conference finals since 1970.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,857,911 times
Quote:
I would disagree with regards to Mozgov's offensive production. I think Lebron does help Moz and many others in those areas. It is what he has Lebron so good for his entire career.
Well Lebron has to help some because he's the one that always has the ball, but he can't force Mozgov to put the ball in the hole. Mozgov is getting good position inside and drawing fouls - 13 of his points have came from the line. He's following shots, blocking shots and grabbing rebounds. He's simply outplaying Bogut who's averaging 3.3 ppg.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:10 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,779,017 times
Quote:
Agree here 100%. Its why you can't play the straight up comparison game that so many folks on here play when you discredit Cleveland's cast.

You can't say the Warriors will have an easier time containing the Boards and limiting in the paint buckets against the Cavs because Gasol >>>>>> than anyone Cleveland rolls out. Not when Lebron is rolling to the bucket and two defenders have to make a choice on the cutter or throwing a body in front of Lebron.

Moz can catch and finish (Denver fans said no), get in position to rebound and block a couple shots, but his skills get magnified playing with someone who can create alot of these opportunities for him.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:45 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,461,579 times
Quote:
Sure but they also had a far easier road to the Finals too. How many teams can afford to have their best player sit out for 2 weeks and still be a #2 seed? The Mavericks had to beat the Lakers, who were the two time defending champions to get to the Finals, and the Cavs had to beat who? A team that hadn't made it to the playoffs in a couple of years, a team with a lameduck head coach and a team that hadn't made it to the conference finals since 1970.
How easy does a less talented team have it though? The Cavs stunk with Lebron on his two week break. Heck, they opened the season with a home loss to the Knicks and got swept by Atlanta this season! They had quite a few trash losses for being such an awesome team.

On the flip side, you can say the Warriors had it easier (never mind being that much better) loading up on cream puffs like Minnesota, LA and Sacto to get to 67 wins. Heck, Houston wasn't going to be a threat, because they don't get a ton of easy baskets themselves and they only make about 35% from deep even with all the trash they got to pad their stats against.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,059,686 times
Quote:
I admit what they are doing as impressive, but I dont think its as impressive.

The Cavs a #2 seed had as easy a road to the finals as I can ever remember. Now they are beating a good Warriors team by slowing them down and great defense.

The Mavs as a #3 seed had a very hard road to the finals and beat a team that was anointed to be one of the best ever (never happened). They beat Portland, 2 time def champ Lakers with Kobe, Pau Gasol, Artest, Odom then beat OKC with Durant, Westbrook and Harden, then beat Lebron, Wade & Bosh with Miami. A much harder gauntlet of teams.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:01 PM

I don't ever recall that Laker team being annoited as even possibly developing into one of the best ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball