Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support how LAC handled FA with DJ?
Yes 7 30.43%
No 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM

50 posts, read 34,306 times

Advertisements

Do you support how LAC handled free agency with Jordan?

LAC was told on Monday that DJ had changed his mind and is coming back but LAC made poor decisions from Monday to Wednesday. They kept their contact and info about DJ private until the 11th hour yesterday and even went to measures of telling DJ to ignore DALs calls, blockading him in his home, and making a mockery of a 50 win teams destruction.

Do you believe LAC handled the FA process well? Do you support how LAC went about the FA or no? I'm asking because LAC fans suggest that it was ok to do this with DJ, I believe they could've handled it with more class that wouldn't have destroyed a team and burned bridges with an entire city but that's just me IMO.

LAC is a classless organization and are no doubt going to be the most hated team for what they've done. They were already quite hated with their ref baiting, flopping, technicals, arrogance, etc but now even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM

652 posts, read 772,083 times
I think that they handled it wrong. If Jordan contacted them on Monday and expressed second thoughts about leaving L.A. and joining the Mavs, if I were the Clippers, I would've told him "You are verbally committed to Dallas. If you decide to back out of your verbal agreement, we will be on a plance tomorrow. But you have to back out of your verbal agreement on your own." I think for Jordan, he should've manned up and communicated his feelings to the Mavs and basically remain a FA. Then, meet with the Clippers again and move forward. The way it went down, it makes everyone involved look bad. Jordan looks like he just "used" the Mavs and the Clippers look like even though he was committed to Dallas, they continued to pursue him. Jordan should've stopped being a baby, man up and back out formally.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:22 AM

652 posts, read 772,083 times
But whatever................. Neither Dallas or the Clippers will win next year anyway....

Old 07-09-2015, 03:54 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,270,883 times
Not much you can do these days. NBA news is reported 24/7 and nothing is private. The only thing violated was the verbal agreement, but if the verbal agreement doesn't matter during the moratorium period, then really nothing was violated. The contract doesn't officially green light till 12:00AM July 9, 2015.

What's really bad is that Dallas gave up assets to clear cap space for DeAndre and now they have nothing to work with. I wouldn't say he was someone that you could build around, but he would have made Dallas more fun to watch. This isn't really Cuban's fault either. He's just whiffed on superstarts hoping that more people would want to play in Dallas after their Finals run in 2006 and their win in 2011.

If you look at the Clippers as a lack of character, who really cares? They're millioinaires and are getting paid by us to watch them perform a sport. They're living out their dreams on a limited timetable. Many code of conduct rules just won't apply to them. The move sucks for Dallas, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise in the end.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM

14,649 posts, read 14,566,494 times
Yes I support how they handled things, because it's perfectly in-line with their desperation as an organization.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:34 PM

816 posts, read 917,102 times
Verbal agreements are worth the paper they are written on. Dallas got played by DJ, who wound up extracting $87 million from the Clippers. No one held him hostage. DJ could have told them to leave and called the police (Houston?) if they didn't.

Maybe Jordan wanted a chance at a championship and a chance to even scores with GS, OKC, and Memphis, over being the aging Mavs ticket into 7 and 8 seeds for a few years.

He is from Houston, so Dallas is still a plane trip and for the amount of time I have been in North TX, these places don't think highly of each other. Better to stay in LA and be a popular figure on a trendy team than in Dallas and be "not a Dallas Cowboy".

ETA: Yes I am from Southern California and have been a Clipper fan since 1992. Now I am in Texas and will be wearing my Clippers gear over the next several days, but I don't think any heads will explode since it doesn't involve the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited by Beardown91737; 07-09-2015 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: disclosure

Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,076,297 times
Totally chicken **** move, not only DJ, but the clippers and coach. Might be fun to see all the talk about Pauls and DJs relationship now.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,919,721 times
Doc Rivers is a 52 year old man that is given the responsibility of being the President of Basketball Operations for the Los Angeles Clippers, so he's a top level executive and businessman in NBA hierarchy. You would think he's old enough and professional enough to not engage in this bushe-league tactic that he and his franchise just employed as a last-ditch effort to get DeAndre Jordan to stay. Doc Rivers had quite a few avenues he could have explored to getting this done that would've been smarter and less damaging but he choose literally the stupidest way to go about this stuff.

I don't blame the Clippers for wanting him back though or even pursuing him because he means a lot to their success going deep in the playoffs, lets be real, the grand majority of teams in that situation would want to resolve that issue but the way the Clippers went about it is disgusting. They could have handled it so much better than the godawful turn-of-events we witnessed yesterday.

I hope they get swept by the Warriors/Spurs/Thunder in either the first or second round or just absolutely shellshocked and destroyed by the Rockets and Grizzlies.

I am not even a Dallas Mavericks fan but people definitely have a free-pass to hate this wretched desperate Los Angeles Clippers organization.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-09-2015 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM

78,002 posts, read 60,193,878 times
I have no major issue with it. Tough poop for the Mavs....and I don't have a dog in this fight either.

However, I'm not an NBA GM and so it's really how they view the Clippers about this that matters.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,593,345 times
I don't see what the big deal is. If anyone is to blame, which I don't think is the case, it would be DeAndre.

Clippers to be one of the most hated teams? I don't really see it. Maybe in Dallas or San Antonio but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball