Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:20 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I love the fact that lowlevel and P47 took the time to actually write their posts on this thread and didn't even make a suggestion to the discussion.

Minor annoyance: Can you actually add to the discussion when you decide to click on the thread? .

Well, I opened the thread having mistaken it for being in the baseball forum. I don't know enough about basketball players to make a valid comment about "under the radar" players. I saw the punctuation comment and just wanted to add to the ridiculousness. You're certainly welcome to ignore it if desired.

Bip a little, bop a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I think Pippen gets his dues from most fans. I do see some people questioning his greatness some times, but overall I think he is recognized as a great player. I certainly think he was.

For some reason, I feel like Mitch Richmond never got his props. He played most of his career in Sacramento, so he had little exposure. He did make the HOF, so his greatness was recognized. But amongst fans, you never hear people talk about The Rock!! Mitch Richmond gave everybody the business when he played. Other than MJ, Mitch was probably the best SG in the league, and he did it all with absolutely no help around him (not counting his brief years in GS).

Richmond is my pick for the thread.
Mitch Richmond is an excellent example.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Another one was Mitch Richmond's team mate Sarunas Marciulionus. He was yet another guy who had an abbreviated career due to injuries. He was wiry strong and people seemed to just bounce off of him. His best year was 1991. As a guard his FG% was .538. He shot .788 from the free throw line, averaged 3.4 assists and 18.9 points.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Another one was Mitch Richmond's team mate Sarunas Marciulionus. He was yet another guy who had an abbreviated career due to injuries. He was wiry strong and people seemed to just bounce off of him. His best year was 1991. As a guard his FG% was .538. He shot .788 from the free throw line, averaged 3.4 assists and 18.9 points.
Very true!! Sarunas was a very good player.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Buck Williams, who I've said in a different thread in this forum belongs in the Hall of Fame, comes to mind immediately.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Buck Williams, who I've said in a different thread in this forum belongs in the Hall of Fame, comes to mind immediately.
Buck was a little ahead of my time, but by the looks of his stats, he looks like he was a solid player.

Another player that I was only able to catch the tail-end of his career when he was mostly a roll player/enforcer, but was apparently awesome early in his career is Terry Cummings. Wish I'd seen him play early on...

Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Buck was a little ahead of my time, but by the looks of his stats, he looks like he was a solid player.

Another player that I was only able to catch the tail-end of his career when he was mostly a roll player/enforcer, but was apparently awesome early in his career is Terry Cummings. Wish I'd seen him play early on...
I remember watching Terry Cummings at DePaul. He was probably the best of a series of forwards to come out of DePaul U under Ray Meyer. Mark Aguirre might argue with that. Cummings averaged 23.7 pts/game and 10.4 rebounds his rookie year...not too shabby.

He had a knee injury at age 30, and dropped off the table after that. Excellent example of OP's point.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I think I might even put Otis Thorpe and Kevin Willis in this conversation. Maybe they were closer to very good than great, though. They played in a physical era with great forwards, though and that's why they might have the tendency to get overlooked. Willis consistently finished second to Rodman in rebounding for years. Thorpe helped protect the paint for the back to back Rockets championship runs and complemented Hakeem quite well.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 PM

287 posts, read 237,081 times
I think Michael Finley fits well in this category. 1st team all rookie team. Led the team in scoring, assists, and steals on a team that had Dirk AND Kidd. Set a record (at that time) for playoff 3 pointers (8 for 9) for the team. Tied an NBA record one time by recording 8 steals in one half. averaged a shade under 20 ppg for the first 10 years of his career and was a great defensive player as well. Just a solid solid player who I never hear anything about. I am glad he got his ring with the Spurs as that has to be the ultimate comfort after which nothing else mattered.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Williams' contributions are best measured by his team's statistics. Check the Nets' and Trail Blazers' win-loss records immediately before and after he joined each team. He was very highly regarded in basketball preview publications released in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Otis Thorpe and Kevin Willis weren't quite as good (or as highly regarded by analysts of that time) as Williams, but both were considered to be good to very good players (Thorpe in particular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball