Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins a one-on-one game between LBJ and MJ, both in their prime?
Jordan wins. 22 75.86%
James wins. 5 17.24%
tossup/don't know. 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
There's no denying that Magic's performance in the championship-clinching game of 1980 was awesome. But, for my team, I'd pick Jordan first. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking Magic, or Kareem, or Russell either, but I always say, if I have to bet my most precious possession on a basketball game, who do I want on my team? The G.O.A.T!!
I'm glad to see you mention Kareem. For whatever reason he is never mentioned in the all time conversation. You see Larry Bird, Wit, Hakeem, even Shaq mentioned before Jabbar. I'm thinking it's an age thing for some of them but there is no way I put Larry Bird ahead of Kareem. The sky hook was the most unstoppable force in the history of the game and he finished as the all time leading scorer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Dr. J better than both.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 AM

653 posts, read 782,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm glad to see you mention Kareem. For whatever reason he is never mentioned in the all time conversation. You see Larry Bird, Wit, Hakeem, even Shaq mentioned before Jabbar. I'm thinking it's an age thing for some of them but there is no way I put Larry Bird ahead of Kareem. The sky hook was the most unstoppable force in the history of the game and he finished as the all time leading scorer.
Oh absolutely!! Kareem dominated everywhere he went from High School, to College, to the NBA. His numbers speak for themselves and his individual accomplishments do as well. He certainly belongs in the conversation.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Kareem is of course discussion worthy.

He was incredibly good for a really insanely long time.

That's pretty much the criteria you have to meet to be considered up in the top 10 or so all-time.

His longevity is why I would rate him above a player like Shaq although one could argue that Shaq in his prime years was as good as anybody and maybe even better than Kareem at their peaks but Kareem stayed at his peak wayyyy longer.

When you think about Kareems unique career and longevity I can't help but think how it's similar to Tim Duncan's.
Also loved Kareem in the movies.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:55 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, let's review the Bulls first championship against some team....oh I forget who......

Oh wait, it was the Magic Johnson lead lakers!
Fair point, but Magic was past his prime, playing without much help (and most of the once very good to great players were also past their prime). Meanwhile Jordan and Pippen -also one a great player- were both in their prime, playing with some very solid support.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,071 times
Quote:
Oh absolutely!! Kareem dominated everywhere he went from High School, to College, to the NBA. His numbers speak for themselves and his individual accomplishments do as well. He certainly belongs in the conversation.
I'd take it a step further. When looking at high school, college, and the NBA altogether Kareem is truly the greatest basketball player of all time. He dominated at every level of play. He dominated at Power Memorial in New York as high schooler. They won multiple state championships. He went on to dominate at UCLA. The Bruins were 88-2 in Kareem's tenure. The NCAA outlawed the dunk specifically to stop him. And he adapted by perfecting the sky hook. And he followed that up with 6 NBA championships, 4 league MVP's, 2 Finals MVP's, and Rookie of the year award.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
I always wondered why more players did not imitate the sky hook. Few if any ever did. After Kareem the hook was relegated to the 3-5 foot shot. Kareem shot it from 15 feet or even more. As a kid I emulated him and used to loft up hook shots from 15 feet or so. It was just a jump shot by alternative means, and very tough to defend. I could never really do it with my left hand, but had lots of success with my right. You didn't have to be tall to do this; I was almost two feet shorter than KAJ. The 15-17 foot hook shot is a weapon waiting to be rediscovered/

Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 AM

653 posts, read 782,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I'd take it a step further. When looking at high school, college, and the NBA altogether Kareem is truly the greatest basketball player of all time. He dominated at every level of play. He dominated at Power Memorial in New York as high schooler. They won multiple state championships. He went on to dominate at UCLA. The Bruins were 88-2 in Kareem's tenure. The NCAA outlawed the dunk specifically to stop him. And he adapted by perfecting the sky hook. And he followed that up with 6 NBA championships, 4 league MVP's, 2 Finals MVP's, and Rookie of the year award.
I agree... He dominated everywhere he went. But make no mistake, I'm still picking Jordan first for my team.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:44 AM

79 posts, read 84,706 times
Quote:
There's no denying that Magic's performance in the championship-clinching game of 1980 was awesome. But, for my team, I'd pick Jordan first. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking Magic, or Kareem, or Russell either, but I always say, if I have to bet my most precious possession on a basketball game, who do I want on my team? The G.O.A.T!!
If you have the most precious possession of the game any basketball scholar would tell you one name, and that name is Kobe Bryant. No one has made more game winning shots, or got his team back from a multiple point deficit in the final minutes of a game than Kobe. That man is the clutch factor.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Kareem is of course discussion worthy.

He was incredibly good for a really insanely long time.

That's pretty much the criteria you have to meet to be considered up in the top 10 or so all-time.

His longevity is why I would rate him above a player like Shaq although one could argue that Shaq in his prime years was as good as anybody and maybe even better than Kareem at their peaks but Kareem stayed at his peak wayyyy longer.

When you think about Kareems unique career and longevity I can't help but think how it's similar to Tim Duncan's.
Also loved Kareem in the movies.
I think KAJ could be compared to Hank Aaron in a way. Just consistently good for a long time.

But KAJ did lose to Bruce Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Fair point, but Magic was past his prime, playing without much help (and most of the once very good to great players were also past their prime). Meanwhile Jordan and Pippen -also one a great player- were both in their prime, playing with some very solid support.
Yes, Magic was past him prime but I do not believe the '90-'91 versions of Jordan and Pippen, especially Pippen, were in their prime. IMO, they were still on the rise during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball