Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times

Advertisements

This is sort of piggybacking off of the whole debate Pippen and Shaq had a few weeks ago about the Lakers vs Bulls all time teams.

I think most people can agree the top 5 all time franchises in the NBA in no particular order are:

Bulls
Lakers
Spurs
Celtics
5 is a bit tricky. I tend to say Pistons but you can argue for other organizations.

What are your all time starting 5's for these franchises? Which do you think would be most competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Is this at one time or a collective top 5

The Sixers could put an all time rooster together pretty formidable - also to me only the Celts and Laker might have a better IMHO - arguments can be made but I dont put the Bulls at #1 IMHO all time

Wilt
Erving
Barkely
Iverson
Toney

6th man Bobby Jones

Old 08-27-2015, 08:31 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Is this at one time or a collective top 5

The Sixers could put an all time rooster together pretty formidable - also to me only the Celts and Laker might have a better IMHO - arguments can be made but I dont put the Bulls at #1 IMHO all time

Wilt
Erving
Barkely
Iverson
Toney

6th man Bobby Jones
Collective.

I was just about to mention Philly. They have a pretty strong case.

For Spurs it would be:

Robinson
Duncan
Gervin
Alvin Robertson?
Parker

SG is the only position I'm really not sure about. Manu has come off the bench for most of his career. Perhaps Sean Elliot could go there?

Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Collective.

I was just about to mention Philly. They have a pretty strong case.

For Spurs it would be:

Robinson
Duncan
Gervin
Alvin Robertson?
Parker

SG is the only position I'm really not sure about. Manu has come off the bench for most of his career. Perhaps Sean Elliot could go there?
i would put iceman at SG and put leonard in as the SF. hes already as good as elliot imo, and gervin played SG 10 of his 15 seasons

robinson
duncan
leonard
iceman
parker

manu off the bench

that would be a 5 man rotation, in their primes that could match up with just about any starting 5 imo.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Bulls would be Jordan pipped rod man Noah or Gilmore and rose. Imo

Old 08-28-2015, 05:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bulls would be Jordan pipped rod man Noah or Gilmore and rose. Imo
D Rose has really only had 2 good years in the NBA. Paxson was great defensively and filled his role on offense, hitting the open jump shot (one of those shots won the Bulls one of their 6 titles).

Gilmore hands down over Noah, IMO.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:53 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
I'm curious to see which of the three guys listed below would have to come off the bench:

Magic
The Logo
Elgin

That's a tough one...

Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
D Rose has really only had 2 good years in the NBA. Paxson was great defensively and filled his role on offense, hitting the open jump shot (one of those shots won the Bulls one of their 6 titles).

Gilmore hands down over Noah, IMO.
Maybe, Noah isn't the scorer but he's also been a DPOY and is a brutal passer and rebounder. With Jordan, Pippen on the court you have 55ppg plus another 15 from rose playing a supporting role you don't need much more than the 10-15 Noah would pitch in off wide open put backs etc. Assuming you'd be going up against other bigtime squads with HOF centers....you're going to want someone that can at least give the David Robinsons, Kareems etc. some better resistance than Gilmore defensively.

Rose would depend upon whether you are picking a guy in his prime or for a 5 year run or now that he's hurt. IMO I'd take Heinrich over Pax. He'd have a field day taking the wide open shots that Jordan would generate for him and is a better defender than Pax.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I'm curious to see which of the three guys listed below would have to come off the bench:

Magic
The Logo
Elgin

That's a tough one...
That's called an embarrassment of riches my friend. A good problem to have lol.

Frankly, I think you play Magic at the 3.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
We're forgetting about Moses Malone for the 76ers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball