Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,834,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Mock drafts are by media. The Kings are definitely a hopeless franchise--evidenced by trading away the NBA's best Center for a handful of beans, firing the good coach who worked well with that center because the Center got injured and the crappy team was crappy, and dubious drafting under their new ownership group (and before).

Year 2 is very different from year 1 for NBA rookies. It is very rare for a rookie to contribute more than potential in year 1. Some players will figure it out in year 2, but others take longer. From your 2015 draft list, Towns & Porzingis are real contributors. The others are still just potential.

And the 2016 draft is more instructive for rookie years: who in that draft class has contributed more than potential? Thon Maker & Brogdon (way to go Milwaukee) have probably done the most.
Find me a mock draft that has seriously failed to predict the draft order (i.e. player x going 10-15 spots above or below the mocks). But no, not all mock drafts are done by the media (i.e. some know nothing writer looking for views). Places like draftexpress and draftnet are all about basketball and almost always get it right...even their player profiles are usually shockingly accurate.

The Cousins trade turned out great for the Kings. Cousins is a tempormental head case.

The Kings now have Fox, Justin Jackson, Harry Giles, Buddy Hield and Frank Mason. I'll gladly give up Cousinsfor all that. He will never be on a winning team unless someone like Lebron can carry him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thering...p/ca70bee51afa

Russell just had a 16/5/4 season - he's playing on more than simply potential at this point - the Nets saw enough to value him as being worth an all-star. Cauley-Stein has shown enough that he'll likely be a role player for the next 10 years. Okafor put up 18/7 as a rookie - he's also an NBA player for the next decade. As you move down in the draft the likelihood of selecting players that never do anything goes up. And that's why a Derrick Williams was a bigger bust than a Jimmer Fredette. You sorta roll the dice at pick #10, but at pick #2 you are expecting at least a fringe all star 75% of the time.

From the 2016 draft you have Buddy Hield putting up 15/4/2 with the Kings. Simmons was injured so of course didn't play. Ingram looks good for the Lakers. Jaylen Brown looks ready to contribute (7/3 in ~15 mpg). Jamal Murray looks good. All of these players had potential before stepping on the court and now we see they can play so their value isn't solely based on potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:42 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,500,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Find me a mock draft that has seriously failed to predict the draft order (i.e. player x going 10-15 spots above or below the mocks). But no, not all mock drafts are done by the media (i.e. some know nothing writer looking for views). Places like draftexpress and draftnet are all about basketball and almost always get it right...even their player profiles are usually shockingly accurate.

The Cousins trade turned out great for the Kings. Cousins is a tempormental head case.

The Kings now have Fox, Justin Jackson, Harry Giles, Buddy Hield and Frank Mason. I'll gladly give up Cousinsfor all that. He will never be on a winning team unless someone like Lebron can carry him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thering...p/ca70bee51afa

Russell just had a 16/5/4 season - he's playing on more than simply potential at this point - the Nets saw enough to value him as being worth an all-star. Cauley-Stein has shown enough that he'll likely be a role player for the next 10 years. Okafor put up 18/7 as a rookie - he's also an NBA player for the next decade. As you move down in the draft the likelihood of selecting players that never do anything goes up. And that's why a Derrick Williams was a bigger bust than a Jimmer Fredette. You sorta roll the dice at pick #10, but at pick #2 you are expecting at least a fringe all star 75% of the time.

From the 2016 draft you have Buddy Hield putting up 15/4/2 with the Kings. Simmons was injured so of course didn't play. Ingram looks good for the Lakers. Jaylen Brown looks ready to contribute (7/3 in ~15 mpg). Jamal Murray looks good. All of these players had potential before stepping on the court and now we see they can play so their value isn't solely based on potential.
Re: Cousins trade--Jackson, Giles, and Hield came from that trade. Fox was the Kings' own draft pick. Hield looks like he has potential. Jackson and Giles . . . we'll see. Potential or no, it's still pennies on the dollar as a trade.

Mock drafts? Picked 2013 at random: draftexpress' picks missed reality on Noel, Bennett, Zeller, McCollum, Burke, McLemore, Shane Larkin, Sergey Keryslav, Tim Hardaway Jr., Reggie Bullock, and others.

DraftExpress - 2013 Mock Draft
2013 NBA Draft | Basketball-Reference.com

And analysis? I like their summary of McCollum's skills, but dislike their projection of him as a PG. I think they were spot on with McLemore. I think they totally missed Burke by analyzing him by college standards. They missed badly on Oladipo--focusing on him as a defender (who they claim projected to defend all 3 perimeter positions at the pro level ). They had rose-tinted glasses on Porter's offensive potential. In total: not awful, but still definitely media echo chamber.

His rookie year, Russell was a negative player in productivity, down at the level of a replacement-level. He improved a little his second year, but still hasn't figured it out. D'Angelo Russell Stats | Basketball-Reference.com Brook Lopez is not a very valuable player. He was an all-star 5 years ago when you needed centers on the roster--and he wasn't a very valuable player then, either. Russell was moved to make the Mozgov contract a little bit less bitter to swallow.

WCS may become a role player, but he's still just a potential role player. Jahlil Okafor is a big question mark. Can he figure out how to defend, and is there room in the NBA for a big who can't defend? He's still a negative contributor. Williams & Fredette are both busts. Williams at least has the potential to be a useful player in the NBA.

Hield may turn out to be a good player. He can shoot, which is always valuable. He's undersized & needs to get better defensively to be a starting-quality 2 guard. Ingram remains a bundle of potential--as does Jaylen Brown. Jamal Murray is in Hield's boat at this point. I'm not ready to say he's the best Murray in the 2016 draft.

It is extremely rare to get a rookie who is a real contributor to an NBA team--i.e., they contribute to winning basketball games. Tim Duncan was one of those. So were LeBron and Steph Curry.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Re: Cousins trade--Jackson, Giles, and Hield came from that trade. Fox was the Kings' own draft pick. Hield looks like he has potential. Jackson and Giles . . . we'll see. Potential or no, it's still pennies on the dollar as a trade.

Mock drafts? Picked 2013 at random: draftexpress' picks missed reality on Noel, Bennett, Zeller, McCollum, Burke, McLemore, Shane Larkin, Sergey Keryslav, Tim Hardaway Jr., Reggie Bullock, and others.

DraftExpress - 2013 Mock Draft
2013 NBA Draft | Basketball-Reference.com

And analysis? I like their summary of McCollum's skills, but dislike their projection of him as a PG. I think they were spot on with McLemore. I think they totally missed Burke by analyzing him by college standards. They missed badly on Oladipo--focusing on him as a defender (who they claim projected to defend all 3 perimeter positions at the pro level ). They had rose-tinted glasses on Porter's offensive potential. In total: not awful, but still definitely media echo chamber.

His rookie year, Russell was a negative player in productivity, down at the level of a replacement-level. He improved a little his second year, but still hasn't figured it out. D'Angelo Russell Stats | Basketball-Reference.com Brook Lopez is not a very valuable player. He was an all-star 5 years ago when you needed centers on the roster--and he wasn't a very valuable player then, either. Russell was moved to make the Mozgov contract a little bit less bitter to swallow.

WCS may become a role player, but he's still just a potential role player. Jahlil Okafor is a big question mark. Can he figure out how to defend, and is there room in the NBA for a big who can't defend? He's still a negative contributor. Williams & Fredette are both busts. Williams at least has the potential to be a useful player in the NBA.

Hield may turn out to be a good player. He can shoot, which is always valuable. He's undersized & needs to get better defensively to be a starting-quality 2 guard. Ingram remains a bundle of potential--as does Jaylen Brown. Jamal Murray is in Hield's boat at this point. I'm not ready to say he's the best Murray in the 2016 draft.

It is extremely rare to get a rookie who is a real contributor to an NBA team--i.e., they contribute to winning basketball games. Tim Duncan was one of those. So were LeBron and Steph Curry.
Pennies on the dollar? Cousins is only worth what other teams are willing to give. Apparently the Pelicans offered the most for him. The Kings are now rebuilding with a Fox/Hield backcourt with high upside players like Jackson/Giles. Building around Cousins gets you nowhere. Great trade.

You just proved my point.

Noel - projected 1 and went 6
Bennet - projected 8 went 1
Zeller - projected 10 went 4
McCollum - projected 7 went 10
Burke - projected 6 went 9

Etc.

As you can see, none of these players were drastically out of line with their mock projections. Where's the player going 30 or 40 picks ahead of where he's projected? The only "shocker" is Bennet going 7 picks ahead of his projection. Wow.

LOL @ being overly critical of their analysis with the power of hind-sight. As I said, the armchair QB's most powerful weapon. I hear armchair QBs have never missed on a draft pick.

So who should the Lakers have played over Russell? Nick Young? Russell quickly became their best available guard - the definition of contributing. Picks at 10-30 have a higher likelihood of playing far less minutes because they aren't ready to contribute in any way.

Oh and about Cauley Stein:

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/201...ost-boogie-era

13/7/1 isn't a contributor? Good pick AND another benefit to the Cousins deal.

You can knit pick just about every young player, but Hield and Cauley-Stein are valuable pieces in the Kings' rebuild. They've played extremely well for them. Hell, Hield is all-rookie first team. Whoever spotted and liked Hield in the Kings front office did a terrific job.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 06-28-2017 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Pennies on the dollar? Cousins is only worth what other teams are willing to give. Apparently the Pelicans offered the most for him. The Kings are now rebuilding with a Fox/Hield backcourt with high upside players like Jackson/Giles. Building around Cousins gets you nowhere. Great trade.

You just proved my point.

Noel - projected 1 and went 6
Bennet - projected 8 went 1
Zeller - projected 10 went 4
McCollum - projected 7 went 10
Burke - projected 6 went 9

Etc.

As you can see, none of these players were drastically out of line with their mock projections. Where's the player going 30 or 40 picks ahead of where he's projected? The only "shocker" is Bennet going 7 picks ahead of his projection. Wow.

LOL @ being overly critical of their analysis with the power of hind-sight. As I said, the armchair QB's most powerful weapon. I hear armchair QBs have never missed on a draft pick.

So who should the Lakers have played over Russell? Nick Young? Russell quickly became their best available guard - the definition of contributing. Picks at 10-30 have a higher likelihood of playing far less minutes because they aren't ready to contribute in any way.
Cousins should not have been traded. Mike Malone should not have been fired. Keeping those two together and building around them was the right way to go. Trading Cousins reeked of desperation. They had an actual franchise player, they didn't try to keep him happy, and they traded him for three young players and Tyreke Evans. Cousins & Fox together would have been better to build on than Fox Hield, Jackson, and Giles.

Your 30-40 draft slots is a strawman. I said I didn't think Jimmer was a lock for the top 15--that the most poorly managed franchise made a mistake by drafting him that high. He was drafted 11. If he is 5 picks lower, he is not in the top 15. I.e., smaller than the gap from 1 to 6, 8 to 1, or 10 to 4.

I'll tell you now what I think of Draft Express on some of the current lottery picks. We can revisit in a couple of years:

Ball--they bury the lede. The big question is this: will he be capable of handling the ball well enough to run a half court offense in the NBA. He has the physical tools to defend, but likely won't be a great NBA defender. He will need to use his vision and passing, but he'll have to protect the ball in P&R situations and driving situations in order to use those skills.

I don't think you can count on him shooting well enough at the NBA level to play the 2--it's a funky shot & a slow one. Maybe he'll change his mechanics. Maybe he'll develop moves to create space at the NBA level. Maybe not.

Taytum--he should pattern his game on Paul Millsap. Biggest concerns: he doesn't look like a good passer and that will make his offensive skills tough to use at the NBA level. If he rebounds, screens, and defends well, he'll be a viable pro. To be a good scorer, I think he'll need to become a good passer.

Jackson--I generally like their analysis of his game, but I think he is less of a wildcard than Taytum or Ball. He may not be a scorer at the NBA level, but I think he will be a utility knife contributor.

Isaac--I see him as the biggest risk/reward prospect. If he has the BBIQ to compete defensively at the NBA level, then he will be a very valuable defender. If he develops the control and patience to exploit mismatches on the offensive end, then he will be a big contributor to a good offense.

Unfortunately, the Magic don't look like a great place for him to grow.

Dennis Smith--I'm low on him. He's a small & athletic scoring guard. Draft Express misses the NBA part of analyzing him. He needs to play PG at the NBA level if he's going to be a starter. But he's a scorer. I think his road is the hardest to climb, and the Mavs don't give him the best opportunity to grow. It's possible that he'll grow to become a Monta Ellis, or even a Kyrie Irving. In either case, he will need to play next to an oversized Point Guard--unless he can develop those skills himself (I don't see that as likely).

Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Cousins should not have been traded. Mike Malone should not have been fired. Keeping those two together and building around them was the right way to go. Trading Cousins reeked of desperation. They had an actual franchise player, they didn't try to keep him happy, and they traded him for three young players and Tyreke Evans. Cousins & Fox together would have been better to build on than Fox Hield, Jackson, and Giles.

Your 30-40 draft slots is a strawman. I said I didn't think Jimmer was a lock for the top 15--that the most poorly managed franchise made a mistake by drafting him that high. He was drafted 11. If he is 5 picks lower, he is not in the top 15. I.e., smaller than the gap from 1 to 6, 8 to 1, or 10 to 4.

I'll tell you now what I think of Draft Express on some of the current lottery picks. We can revisit in a couple of years:

Ball--they bury the lede. The big question is this: will he be capable of handling the ball well enough to run a half court offense in the NBA. He has the physical tools to defend, but likely won't be a great NBA defender. He will need to use his vision and passing, but he'll have to protect the ball in P&R situations and driving situations in order to use those skills.

I don't think you can count on him shooting well enough at the NBA level to play the 2--it's a funky shot & a slow one. Maybe he'll change his mechanics. Maybe he'll develop moves to create space at the NBA level. Maybe not.

Taytum--he should pattern his game on Paul Millsap. Biggest concerns: he doesn't look like a good passer and that will make his offensive skills tough to use at the NBA level. If he rebounds, screens, and defends well, he'll be a viable pro. To be a good scorer, I think he'll need to become a good passer.

Jackson--I generally like their analysis of his game, but I think he is less of a wildcard than Taytum or Ball. He may not be a scorer at the NBA level, but I think he will be a utility knife contributor.

Isaac--I see him as the biggest risk/reward prospect. If he has the BBIQ to compete defensively at the NBA level, then he will be a very valuable defender. If he develops the control and patience to exploit mismatches on the offensive end, then he will be a big contributor to a good offense.

Unfortunately, the Magic don't look like a great place for him to grow.

Dennis Smith--I'm low on him. He's a small & athletic scoring guard. Draft Express misses the NBA part of analyzing him. He needs to play PG at the NBA level if he's going to be a starter. But he's a scorer. I think his road is the hardest to climb, and the Mavs don't give him the best opportunity to grow. It's possible that he'll grow to become a Monta Ellis, or even a Kyrie Irving. In either case, he will need to play next to an oversized Point Guard--unless he can develop those skills himself (I don't see that as likely).
LOL @ building around Cousins. Let me know when he leads a team ANYWHERE in the playoffs. He couldn't even play .500 ball paired with Anthony Davis. Building around Cousins is worse than building around Chris Paul or Carmelo...plus he's the biggest cancer in the league. Losing + dealing with a cry baby? Please give me the improved Cauley-Stein, Hield, Fox with plenty of room to develop, Jackson, Giles and Mason! Kings came away smelling like a rose in that deal. They now have one of the best young cores in the league and no black hole sucking the life out of things.

So you are basically arguing that he wasn't a lock for top 15, but might have went 16 or 17? Congrats on splitting hairs. The POINT is that with hindsight the armchair QBs talk like they knew exactly why he was 100% guaranteed not to succeed yet NBA teams certainly weren't letting Jimmer get out of the first round. Thus, they all saw value in him. Perhaps hype moved him up a few spots, but it certainly wasn't the only thing that got him drafted.

There will likely be at least 3 players chosen in the top 13 that won't live up to expectations. Which players will that be? Perhaps we can revisit in a year and see how well you did.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
LOL @ building around Cousins. Let me know when he leads a team ANYWHERE in the playoffs. He couldn't even play .500 ball paired with Anthony Davis. Building around Cousins is worse than building around Chris Paul or Carmelo...plus he's the biggest cancer in the league. Losing + dealing with a cry baby? Please give me the improved Cauley-Stein, Hield, Fox with plenty of room to develop, Jackson, Giles and Mason! Kings came away smelling like a rose in that deal. They now have one of the best young cores in the league and no black hole sucking the life out of things.

So you are basically arguing that he wasn't a lock for top 15, but might have went 16 or 17? Congrats on splitting hairs. The POINT is that with hindsight the armchair QBs talk like they knew exactly why he was 100% guaranteed not to succeed yet NBA teams certainly weren't letting Jimmer get out of the first round. Thus, they all saw value in him. Perhaps hype moved him up a few spots, but it certainly wasn't the only thing that got him drafted.

There will likely be at least 3 players chosen in the top 13 that won't live up to expectations. Which players will that be? Perhaps we can revisit in a year and see how well you did.
Cousins and Davis don't make sense together, but N.O. picked up Cousins for beans, so I can't blame them for taking him. The Kings are a cancerous franchise. Mike Malone & Cousins were building on his Team USA experience when he got injured (with a winning record). Then they fired the coach. Yes, Cousins has had maturity issues, but the ineptitude of the Sac front office was a big contributor. The Kings now have a wing and a prayer. It may come true, but it's more likely that they'll be dwelling in the cellar for some time moving forward.

I said precisely that Fredette wasn't a lock for top 15. I think late 1st to mid 2nd would have been a decent place to take a flyer on him. Lottery was way too high. As I think I have repeatedly made clear, there are no guarantees among rookies. There is only potential.

There are times when it makes sense to move proven talent for potential. But rarely is that when the proven talent is a young All-NBA player just entering his prime.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Cousins and Davis don't make sense together, but N.O. picked up Cousins for beans, so I can't blame them for taking him. The Kings are a cancerous franchise. Mike Malone & Cousins were building on his Team USA experience when he got injured (with a winning record). Then they fired the coach. Yes, Cousins has had maturity issues, but the ineptitude of the Sac front office was a big contributor. The Kings now have a wing and a prayer. It may come true, but it's more likely that they'll be dwelling in the cellar for some time moving forward.

I said precisely that Fredette wasn't a lock for top 15. I think late 1st to mid 2nd would have been a decent place to take a flyer on him. Lottery was way too high. As I think I have repeatedly made clear, there are no guarantees among rookies. There is only potential.

There are times when it makes sense to move proven talent for potential. But rarely is that when the proven talent is a young All-NBA player just entering his prime.
And what the Pelicans gave for Cousins should be a clue as to what NBA teams see as his value. Other teams were free to make offers. He's worth a couple lotto picks and role players - nothing more. Keep in mind - that was likely their BEST offer so just imagine what the other offers were. Build around Cousins in the west and with some luck maybe an 8 seed is obtainable. He's one of those black hole players that bad teams spend a decade building around. The Kings spent 6 years bowing down to Cousins and they were a 35 win team at best...why invest $200M in such mediocrity?

Well late first round could be pick 16 or 17. As the mock drafts indicate, Jimmer probably wasn't slipping farther than that. Jimmer wasn't a 2nd round pick that was hyped up 20+ draft spots. Going into the draft Jimmer was linked to teams picking anywhere from 7th to 17th.

Here is a pre-draft article about Jimmer and teams interested in him: https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanqu...-the-nba-draft

BTW - Cousins didn't even make All-NBA 3rd team this year...at 26-27 yrs old in his prime.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
And what the Pelicans gave for Cousins should be a clue as to what NBA teams see as his value. Other teams were free to make offers. He's worth a couple lotto picks and role players - nothing more. Keep in mind - that was likely their BEST offer so just imagine what the other offers were. Build around Cousins in the west and with some luck maybe an 8 seed is obtainable. He's one of those black hole players that bad teams spend a decade building around. The Kings spent 6 years bowing down to Cousins and they were a 35 win team at best...why invest $200M in such mediocrity?

Well late first round could be pick 16 or 17. As the mock drafts indicate, Jimmer probably wasn't slipping farther than that. Jimmer wasn't a 2nd round pick that was hyped up 20+ draft spots. Going into the draft Jimmer was linked to teams picking anywhere from 7th to 17th.

Here is a pre-draft article about Jimmer and teams interested in him: https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanqu...-the-nba-draft

BTW - Cousins didn't even make All-NBA 3rd team this year...at 26-27 yrs old in his prime.
Funny, the article you post indicates that the Bobcats (not a well-managed franchise) wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole and the Bucks would move on because he wouldn't work out for them. Then you have the Kings (inept), the Knicks (inept), and the Jazz/Suns/Pacers. We don't know what the others would have done because the Kings took the decision out of everyone else's hands.

The article you posted also happens to be the BYU sports fan blog. What do you know, they were high on Jimmer.

By late 1st, I mean 25+. Not in the teens. Jimmer was hyped by media, and the Kings bought it.

Cousins would have been a fine choice for 3rd team this year. He was an all-star for the 5th straight season. He is an elite talent. The Kings couldn't build around Cousins because they are an inept franchise. They desperately tried to move him last year and were fleeced by the Pelicans (remember Vlade saying they had a better deal that "fell through" at the last minute).

The Magic successfully built a team that got to the Finals around Dwight Howard. And the pieces were not a bunch of stars. Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, and Jameer Nelson were never as good as they were playing with Howard in Orlando. I think that Cousins will be better than Howard was then, and deserves a better team to play with. The fit is awkward with the Pelicans, but I'm hopeful they can put something together.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Funny, the article you post indicates that the Bobcats (not a well-managed franchise) wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole and the Bucks would move on because he wouldn't work out for them. Then you have the Kings (inept), the Knicks (inept), and the Jazz/Suns/Pacers. We don't know what the others would have done because the Kings took the decision out of everyone else's hands.

The article you posted also happens to be the BYU sports fan blog. What do you know, they were high on Jimmer.

By late 1st, I mean 25+. Not in the teens. Jimmer was hyped by media, and the Kings bought it.

Cousins would have been a fine choice for 3rd team this year. He was an all-star for the 5th straight season. He is an elite talent. The Kings couldn't build around Cousins because they are an inept franchise. They desperately tried to move him last year and were fleeced by the Pelicans (remember Vlade saying they had a better deal that "fell through" at the last minute).

The Magic successfully built a team that got to the Finals around Dwight Howard. And the pieces were not a bunch of stars. Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, and Jameer Nelson were never as good as they were playing with Howard in Orlando. I think that Cousins will be better than Howard was then, and deserves a better team to play with. The fit is awkward with the Pelicans, but I'm hopeful they can put something together.
So basically your out is trying to describe entire franchises as horribly ran if they had interest in Jimmer. Let me guess - you see all but 4 or 5 franchises (the ones currently winning) as incapable of evaluating draft picks.

Here is what you should pay attention to:

Quote:
The one thing experts seem to agree on is that the BYU star will go no lower than No. 15 to the Indiana Pacers.

In his latest mock draft, Chad Ford has Jimmer Fredette being taken by the Pacers in that No. 15 slot, but acknowledges that there's a possibility he will be off the board by then.
And that's the bottom line...not revisionist history which suggest a professional basketball team somehow got caught up in Jimmermania like a 90s teen girl at an NSync concert. But let me guess - "experts", Chad Ford, Suns, Jazz, Kings, Knicks, draftnet, draftexpress, etc don't know a lick about hoops? Jimmer's stock started rising AFTER he worked out for teams which would suggest hype had little to do with his draft position.

Here is what Jimmer was told as a Junior BEFORE winning NPOY and averaging 29ppg:

Quote:
"As for feedback, it was weird -- all of the teams told me the same thing: that I could go in the 20-40 range. Those were all teams who were looking for point guards and had picks in that range, so I trusted it. I was looking for a first-round guarantee in order to stay in, but no one could give me one, because it was so early in the process, and so much could change between May 8 and the draft.

"If I had been working out for teams in June, when the draft isn't too far away, someone might have been able to give a guarantee at that point. In this setup, I had to go through four workouts in five days, which was grueling, and then make up my mind."
Hard to imagine winning NPOY and having great workouts wouldn't have raised his draft stock. Hint: it did.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
So basically your out is trying to describe entire franchises as horribly ran if they had interest in Jimmer. Let me guess - you see all but 4 or 5 franchises (the ones currently winning) as incapable of evaluating draft picks.

Here is what you should pay attention to:

And that's the bottom line...not revisionist history which suggest a professional basketball team somehow got caught up in Jimmermania like a 90s teen girl at an NSync concert. But let me guess - "experts", Chad Ford, Suns, Jazz, Kings, Knicks, draftnet, draftexpress, etc don't know a lick about hoops? Jimmer's stock started rising AFTER he worked out for teams which would suggest hype had little to do with his draft position.

Here is what Jimmer was told as a Junior BEFORE winning NPOY and averaging 29ppg:

Hard to imagine winning NPOY and having great workouts wouldn't have raised his draft stock. Hint: it did.
I think the Kings are horribly managed for reasons far beyond Jimmer. The Cousins trade is the most recent example.

See also:
Thomas Robinson
The dumping of Nik Stauskas
Ben McLemore

The Rudy Gay signing
The Rondo signing
The Malone firing
Trying to let Tyreke Evans run an offense
The Corbin experiment
The Karl hiring & firing
The total miss on Whiteside's talent
The dumping of Isaiah Thomas for beans

This team doesn't know what it's doing.

The Jimmer pick is a piece of this club's approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball