Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:51 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
In the Bill Simmons interview with Bill Russell, he mentioned this SI cover and Bill Russell said Wilt called him
and laughed. He said he used to get 20 rebounds in a quarter.
Wilt was obviously a dominant player, but other than Russell, he really didn't have much competition that I know of in those days in the NBA. I'm not taking anything away from the monster stats he put up, but considering that Rodman is 6'8" compared to 7'-plus, and Rodman played during, in my eyes, the best and most physical era of the NBA, his accomplishments make him #1 to me. Rodman was guarding Olajuwon, Shaq, Zo, etc... Giving away inches and LBS every night basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 03:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
.. the best and most physical era of the NBA
can't say the best when you have the 80s to compare.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:49 AM

387 posts, read 408,225 times
Quote:
Wilt was obviously a dominant player, but other than Russell, he really didn't have much competition that I know of in those days in the NBA. I'm not taking anything away from the monster stats he put up, but considering that Rodman is 6'8" compared to 7'-plus, and Rodman played during, in my eyes, the best and most physical era of the NBA, his accomplishments make him #1 to me. Rodman was guarding Olajuwon, Shaq, Zo, etc... Giving away inches and LBS every night basically.

If you factor in that Rodman was only averaging about 32 min/gm that makes it even more incredible. Also he was 34 when the Bulls got him so he was borderline HOF even before the last 3peat. Imo his best rebounding years were with the Spurs. For all of his antics you knew that he was going to show up ready to play every night and his conditioning was second to none.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:57 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
6'8"
strong
athletic
maybe 5% body fat
great endurance

Combine those genes with a player who doesn't care about scoring/thrives on getting under his opponent's skin and you have what could possibly be a great rebounder. He's also got an unteachable knact for sensing where the ball may go (quick reflexes/hand eye coordination).

Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Dude literally ran a clinic in the Finals against Karl Malone! By the time he got through with him, Mailman though he was crazy!

Old 11-27-2015, 07:44 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
I think these people who make a big issue about one's off-site personal life needing to be squeaky clean for them to be suitable hiring material need look no further than Dennis Rodman. To think that what I do in my own personal life should be relevant towards my job is nuts, and this guy is a key example of this.

We didn't have Facebook or Twitter back then, but everyone knew this guy was a spectacle and a flat-out weirdo with his off-court behavior, but Phil Jackson (and Chuck Daly, perhaps), unlike the people in San Antonio, they didn't care how crazy he was off the court, so long as he did what he was supposed to do on it. When you hear of these dimwits thinking a teacher should be fired for "embarrassing her school and undermining her professionalism" because she, egads, had a glass of wine on vacation and posted about it, I think about Dennis Rodman. Other than major exceptions such as being a hooker or a drug dealer, who cares what you do when you're not at work, so long as you do your job when you are at work--even if you post about it?

I also think basketball players can learn from how about how to be a good teammate. For all of his craziness and such, he was a perfect fit in Chicago. He didn't gripe about getting the ball, he was totally content to be the one getting the ball to Jordan and Pippen. He was a good teammate, it seems. Go back and look at those clips of him doing things such as hugging Toni Kukoc after Kukoc dunked in the closing seconds of the 1997 finals. Kukoc always struck me as being as opposite of a person as Rodman as was possible, yet there was Rodman celebrating with him in those closing seconds.

Chicago was great for him that way. Go back and watch those clips, when he got a good play, when he'd surprise you by coaching a 3 pointer in, the crowd rained down their approval on him, and he clearly blossomed in their approval and acceptance. I used to also love those "overhead" passes he did, where he got a rebound and then did an end-to-end pass over his head using both of his hands while planting his right (?) foot.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:17 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
.. the best and most physical era of the NBA
And also that 90s era that you speak of wasn't too or as competitive with the teams.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM

387 posts, read 408,225 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1j0VXi843s

One of the better tributes I've seen.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:32 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Phil Jackson is on record saying Dennis Rodman was the most athletic player he ever coached.
That is incredible considering that he has coached incredible athletes such as Jordan, Pippen, Horace Grant, Kobe and Shaq.

I've read that Rodman was a conditioning freak.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:33 AM

612 posts, read 843,224 times
What's the proof this guy's the best rebounder of all-time? I understand there's a difference between paces, however pace (an advanced stat), coverting a 70's player's stats to when Rodman played, and vice versa, isn't an exact science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball