Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so let's hear your prediction because it seems you aren't understanding the point I'm trying to make.

Mine is that the Lakers current talent level and lack of tradeable picks will keep them in the cellar for another 4 years or more as they struggle to add meaningful free agent talent. They might add *some* talent but not enough to be back in the playoffs like any sort of "super team" fast rebuild.

You point seems to be that the Lakers, regardless of their draft picks (and thus being screwed at getting anything but UFA's) is just so desirable that what free agents are available and unrestricted will flock there despite the teams ability to put other talent with them.

If that's not correct, then give us an estimate of what they'll be able to attract and how fast they'll be back in the playoffs or at least a win total for the 2017 season?
4 years WITHOUT the playoffs? You are on and I will even count this year. The most significant positive move this offseason will be Kobe's retirement.

I'm not saying they will hang championship banners in that four year window. All I'm saying for anyone to dismiss the fact that they can't and won't attract top end superstar talent is going a little too far.

The Lakers can build through UFA's. Many teams cannot. The LA market is what it is. The history of the franchise- many franchises aren't even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
4 years WITHOUT the playoffs? You are on and I will even count this year. The most significant positive move this offseason will be Kobe's retirement.

I'm not saying they will hang championship banners in that four year window. All I'm saying for anyone to dismiss the fact that they can't and won't attract top end superstar talent is going a little too far.

The Lakers can build through UFA's. Many teams cannot. The LA market is what it is. The history of the franchise- many franchises aren't even close.
We'll see, have you noticed any change at all in recent years in terms of the teams quality of decision making?

Why are the Clippers the Clippers and the Lakers the Lakers in the first place? Dr. Buss RIP.

All evidence suggests that the Lakers are entering an era where their management is arguably incompetent instead of the smart ownership they enjoyed for decades prior.

This is the owner that put guys like Riley and Jackson at the helm...brought in Kareem and Shaq and a host of other incredible moves.

We're going to find out just how much glitter he built up can carry that clown car making the decisions there now.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
We'll see, have you noticed any change at all in recent years in terms of the teams quality of decision making?

Why are the Clippers the Clippers and the Lakers the Lakers in the first place? Dr. Buss RIP.

All evidence suggests that the Lakers are entering an era where their management is arguably incompetent instead of the smart ownership they enjoyed for decades prior.

This is the owner that put guys like Riley and Jackson at the helm...brought in Kareem and Shaq and a host of other incredible moves.

We're going to find out just how much glitter he built up can carry that clown car making the decisions there now.
I'm not even focusing on the current roster. I think they have a few pieces at the moment and a ton of cap room. That's nice. Again, the best decision was Kobe saying "I'm retiring". It makes room for a new Era and it needed to be this way for a few years now.

I'm not expecting Kareem and then the Shaq era level of excellence especially during your four year window, but legacy and tradition have already been built.

The reason that you state "All evidence suggests that the Lakers are entering an era where their management is arguably incompetent instead of the smart ownership they enjoyed for decades prior." All fine and dandy and I agree it will difficult to replicate their previous success.

incompetent owners build teams too - (Gilbert)

But...
There is no reason to believe the Lakers can't promote Part 3 and sell the story along with the idea of living in LA to Superstar basketball player and then attract others through Free agency.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not even focusing on the current roster. I think they have a few pieces at the moment and a ton of cap room. That's nice. Again, the best decision was Kobe saying "I'm retiring". It makes room for a new Era and it needed to be this way for a few years now.

I'm not expecting Kareem and then the Shaq era level of excellence especially during your four year window, but legacy and tradition have already been built.

The reason that you state "All evidence suggests that the Lakers are entering an era where their management is arguably incompetent instead of the smart ownership they enjoyed for decades prior." All fine and dandy and I agree it will difficult to replicate their previous success.

incompetent owners build teams too - (Gilbert)

But...
There is no reason to believe the Lakers can't promote Part 3 and sell the story along with the idea of living in LA to Superstar basketball player and then attract others through Free agency.
Also have to walk into Kobe's shoes with sky-high expectations, a crap roster and little to no trade-bait....oh, and they're being sought after by every team in the NBA.

They arguably have to improve the team about 30ish wins.

You're basically having to find a superstar to spend their prime years guiding them out of a rebuild they haven't even stocked up on draft picks from when they could be competing for championships while promising you'll pick up other Unrestricted free agents sometime down the road because good ones aren't always mobile and available.

P.S. State tax levels are nothing to sneeze at either.

Last edited by Mathguy; 02-03-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that. Let's talk again after this free agency.

They arguably have to improve the team about 35ish wins.
I'm confused now, you gave me four years

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I'm confused now, you gave me four years
Yes, 4 years to improve a team to the playoffs.

This first free agency however should really tell you something about just how much cache and desire people have to come try to drag a bunch of scrubs up a hill.

Basically, if they bomb in this first free agency....what does that hint at for future years?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Agreed. I don't see much incentive for anybody coming to LA. Especially free agent ring chasers.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:06 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Harrison Barnes might be on the market. He turned down a 5-year, $18/m-per offer this past summer and with his unimpressive numbers so far this season might not be on the roster after June.

Report: Warriors disenchanted with Barnes?s slow recovery | Yardbarker.com

Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Harrison Barnes might be on the market. He turned down a 5-year, $18/m-per offer this past summer and with his unimpressive numbers so far this season might not be on the roster after June.

Report: Warriors disenchanted with Barnes?s slow recovery | Yardbarker.com
I think he'd be overpaid. He'd be in the top 20 highest paid (at least for 2015-2016) if he would have accepted 18 mil per. Not worth it.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I think he'd be overpaid. He'd be in the top 20 highest paid (at least for 2015-2016) if he would have accepted 18 mil per. Not worth it.

boy looking at that list leonard looks more and more like a bargain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball