Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As such, Magic can suck it. Curry is the best player in the NBA right now and the Lakers are has beens.
Dude, your obsession with the Lakers gets old and I'm not even on this sub forum that much.

Let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:31 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Steph Curry is this generation's Michael Jordan.

He's playing on an unbelievable level now, scoring at will, on pace to shatter his own 3 point season record.

Not only his scoring ability, but his ability to put his will on a game and demoralize the opposition the minute he steps on the floor. The second he enters the game, you could tell he energizes his teammates and intimidates the opposition.

Yup, just like MJ.

Golden State Warriors, 2016 world NBA champions.

Easy there cowboy, tap the brakes!!

Curry is averaging 29 pts a game this season which is great, but Jordan averaged over 30 for his CAREER! And Jordan had 8 seasons averaging over 30, Steph will NOT do that.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM

653 posts, read 783,076 times
To each his own... Some of you guys say that the style of play in the NBA today compared to the style of play in the NBA of the '80s and '90s would not have an impact on player's performance. I don't buy that... And that is the reason why I don't like to compare today's players to the players I grew up watching. I'm not saying that Steph or any other player today would not be succesful back then, but it is a different league today, not just in the obvious "softer" rules, but in the style of play as well. The rules of the game have changed to allow more scoring and that is a fact. It's the reason why scoring in the league is higher now than it was back in that era.

I'd rather see these lists come out based on each decade and not All-Time. Someone mentioned Mark Price here... Mark Price was a solid, top-10 PG in his day. I'd like to see where he ranks amongst his peers during his generation... That would be worth debating.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Why is it Tim Duncan is only on there once when he's been on 6 finals teams and was "the man" on 3 of them?

Seems that list is incomplete
It is incomplete. A list that included every player that's been to the NBA Finals would be too long. So I chose the best seasons that resulted in either an NBA championship or at the very least the Finals.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:42 AM

To his credit, Isiah did step up his performance in the playoffs (relative to his teammates). Here are win shares for the 1990 playoffs.

Isiah Thomas - 3.1
Bill Laimbeer - 2.6
Joe Dumars - 2.1
Dennis Rodman - 1.4

Here are Steph's contributions along with his teammates' from the 2015 playoffs.

Stephen Curry - 3.9
Draymond Green - 2.6
Andre Igoudala - 2.2
Klay Thompson - 1.9

Here's Lebron and Co. for the 2013 playoffs.

Lebron James - 5.2
Dwyane Wade - 1.8
Chris Bosh - 1.8

And here's Duncan and Co. in the 2014 playoffs.

Tim Duncan - 3.2
Kawhi Leonard - 2.9
Manu Ginobili - 2.2
Tony Parker - 1.1

And here are the Bulls for the 1996 playoffs.

Michael Jordan - 4.7
Scottie Pippen - 3.0
Dennis Rodman - 1.4
Tony Kucoc - 1.3

Some things to note...

-Lebron completely carried the Heat in the 2013 playoffs.
-Draymond Green was a defensive monster.
-Pippen meant a lot more to the Bulls in the playoffs than Wade meant to the Heat.
-Isiah did not carry as much of a load as Jordan, Lebron or Curry.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:09 AM

The Lakers in the 2000 playoffs were all about Shaq Daddy. It was fair to say Kobe was Robin to Shaq's Batman then.

Shaquille O'Neal - 4.7
Kobe Bryant - 2.1

Things changed the following playoffs though. They were basically equals by this point.

Kobe Bryant - 3.8
Shaquille O'Neal - 3.7

Shaq was back in the driver's seat the next year.

Shaquille O'Neal - 3.8
Kobe Bryant - 2.6

While Kobe was clearly "The Man" in the 2009 playoffs, Gasol's contributions probably go under-appreciated.

Kobe Bryant - 4.7
Pau Gasol - 4.3

Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 AM

It seems that a player's legacy is almost entirely defined by a small sample of games. With Isiah, it was his "ankle" game that really boosted him into legendary status imo. Of course, the championships are a big part of it, but those championship teams were more or less a team of equals even if Isiah was the best individual talent on that team. That's not the case with Jordan, Lebron and Magic teams where they are clearly contributing the most to team victories even if they have other good players on their teams.

Now I'm not saying that Isiah Thomas wasn't one bad dude on the hardwood. To me, though, it looks like the baddest version of Isiah was the 84-86 version. He was still a very good player after that but I think the 84-86 perception of Isiah often carries over to the 88-90 Pistons championship run. People often say that Isiah deserves more credit for winning with non-elite players, but I think those people are shortchanging the contributions of his teammates once you delve down into what actually happened on the court.

Curry also has a very good team but it's clear he's more impactful than Thomas as evidenced by his Box Plus/Minus. His absence or presence from the lineup is the difference between a good team and a juggernaut.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 AM

64 posts, read 73,792 times
I've never seen so much hate for Magic Johnson in a thread in my life, ever. People always loved Magic and his personality, lol. He always has a smile and seems to stay positive, even after he contracted HIV.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
I've never seen so much hate for Magic Johnson in a thread in my life, ever. People always loved Magic and his personality, lol. He always has a smile and seems to stay positive, even after he contracted HIV.
2 things,
1st when you contract hiv, all you have is to try to stay positive. (not even going with hiv positive jokes)
2nd, hes insulting the golden child stephen curry, and thats blasphemous! just cant do that in this day and age.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynite1114 View Post
I don't see anyone hating on Magic. I've seen people call Magic out for being a hater but that's entirely different from hating directly on Magic.

Magic Johnson is entitled to his opinion like anyone else. And it could even be said that Magic's opinion has more authority than ours considering he has 5 NBA Championships compared to our collective 0 NBA Championships. So it's an opinion that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

At the same time, Magic does have a bias since he played with Isiah and recently made amends with him. This type of bias is common in all sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball