Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,205,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some questions....

Does Lebron win championships playing with the Showtime Lakers?

Does Jordan win championships with Lenny Wilkens instead of Phil Jackson and Tex Winters?

Would Larry Bird be more effective in OKC than Durant has been?
I'll bite on the Bird one. I don't think he'd be more effective overall.

In fact, Bird and Westbrook would probably fight a lot, much more than Durant does with Westbrook. Durant is kind of go-with-the-flow at times, which helps. Bird isn't. Horrible team chemistry. However, if we take team chemistry out of the equation, then Bird would likely be the better choice. Bird had that drive to win and cockiness that I think Durant lacks. It may be was OKC needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 AM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post

In fact, Bird and Westbrook would probably fight a lot, much more than Durant does with Westbrook. Durant is kind of go-with-the-flow at times, which helps. Bird isn't. Horrible team chemistry. However, if we take team chemistry out of the equation, then Bird would likely be the better choice. Bird had that drive to win and cockiness that I think Durant lacks. It may be was OKC needs.
I just think it's odd that we often use team efforts to compare individual players. "Bird" didn't win any championships. The Celtics won championships. Now we can argue about how significant a role certain players had in winning championships, but I've never really been down with the "this guy has more rings than that guy" comparisons.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,205,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I just think it's odd that we often use team efforts to compare individual players. "Bird" didn't win any championships. The Celtics won championships. Now we can argue about how significant a role certain players had in winning championships, but I've never really been down with the "this guy has more rings than that guy" comparisons.
I'm of the same mindset. It takes more than just the individual.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 AM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times
Lebron takes a lot of flak for teaming up with Wade. Wade was clearly an improvement over his supporting cast in Cleveland but he was not as effective as most people want to believe, especially during James' last two seasons in Miami. He went from non-factor in the 2013 playoffs to virtually non-existent in the 2014 playoffs. Lebron posted some of the highest win share rates in NBA history only for his team to get destroyed anyway.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:47 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:

Bird played defense and actually was pretty good at it.
I think that his leadership on that topic would be good for the team and I don't see *anybody* getting Bird to back down from that....sure as heck not Westbrook.

Defense is all OKC lacks to be a champion and they're capable of doing it.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
I mean I'm willing to entertain taking others off if somebody wanted to keep Duncan in the top 10. Maybe take Bird out? lol
Duncan has 15 all-nba team and 15 all-defensive team selections, 3 finals mvps, 5 rings etc etc etc.

I'd move Shaq, Olajuwon, Bird behind him without even thinking too hard about it.

Moving him out of the top 10 would be even sillier than not putting Kobe there too.

I could see arguments for putting him as high as maybe #3 or #4.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,575,727 times
List is far too biased towards the modern era. What about Oscar Robertson?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:14 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,786,879 times
As a Cavs SuperFan, I believe Lebron at #3 is too high. I put him just after Kobe. For those that have him outside of the Top 10, crazy talk. Aside from an erratic jumper at times and I'm being picky- he doesn't have flaw on the Court.

Now, If he brings a title or two to Cleveland and continues putting up the numbers he has the next three or four years.

Let's bring this post back. #3 may be deserving.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,662,034 times
The top 4 spot is locked with Jordan, Kareem,Magic & Russell.
Anything after that could be argued but gotta throw Wilt at 5 !!!

Shaq,Kobe,Bird,Duncan,LeBron can all be argued the next 6-10 but based on titles & impact,Shaq,Kobe & Duncan are all locked in also.

Than there's an argument if Bird is better than Duncan, or LeBron better than Bird ?

Old 02-11-2016, 03:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,080,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
The top 4 spot is locked with Jordan, Kareem,Magic & Russell.
Anything after that could be argued but gotta throw Wilt at 5 !!!

Shaq,Kobe,Bird,Duncan,LeBron can all be argued the next 6-10 but based on titles & impact,Shaq,Kobe & Duncan are all locked in also.

Than there's an argument if Bird is better than Duncan, or LeBron better than Bird ?
Bird is better than Duncan. Id have Lebron around 10-12. Duncan 12-15. Kobe 7-10 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball