Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You've never had any kind of major injury, have you?
As a matter of fact, I had major spine surgery...fusion of vertebra/screws/rod in high school. After 3 months I was cleared to do light non-contact exercising. After 6 months I started the high school basketball season as my normal self. A broken bone doesn't mean it'll take 2 years to get your conditioning back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
ok not to beat a dead horse but

https://8points9seconds.com/2016/05/...-foul-mahinmi/

Quote:
Again, the Pacers made the errors. The blown coverages were bad, leading to the aforementioned 3s. The inability to rebound — again — led to 18 offensive rebounds for the Raptors on 55 missed shots and a 17-to-3 second-chance points disadvantage. And the Pacers committed 5 turnovers in the final 4:22 of the game.

Two of those giveaways came from Paul George, who admitted he was “gassed a little bit” after a game in which he played 46 minutes and committed 7 turnovers overall. Monta Ellis also had one of the other late-game turnovers, and he played 37 minutes.
You could be the most fit person in the world, and when you're carrying your team offensively and defensively on both ends of the floor for 46 minutes, you're going to be exhausted. That's pretty much sprinting up and down a regulation length basketball court for 46 minutes. I couldn't even do one sprint across a full court basketball court without slowing down and gasping for breath, let alone 46 minutes. Imagine someone six foot nine, 220 pounds doing that.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
I think Miami will win this next series, too, but Toronto will make it another good series just because they have homecourt advantage.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Like I said though, if a professional player is gassed 40 minutes into a game 7 with the season on the line - that's on him for not be conditioned or the coach for not pulling him out. And it's not like this was the finals or even eastern conference finals - it's the FIRST ROUND. George was 2-7 with 5 turnovers in the 2nd half - that just wont cut it if he wants to be a top tier player.

Kobe, Lebron, MJ, Duncan, Wade, etc, all had seasons of playing heavy minutes in the regular season AND deep into the playoffs.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You could be the most fit person in the world, and when you're carrying your team offensively and defensively on both ends of the floor for 46 minutes, you're going to be exhausted. That's pretty much sprinting up and down a regulation length basketball court for 46 minutes. I couldn't even do one sprint across a full court basketball court without slowing down and gasping for breath, let alone 46 minutes. Imagine someone six foot nine, 220 pounds doing that.

Totally agree...throw in the mental intensity of the playoffs. It is a different level than the regular season.

And remember, NBA courts are longer that your normal rec center courts ... by 20 feet, and high school courts by 10 feet. I remember as a teenager - I got to play on the Capital Centre floor (DC) for an all star game. It took forever to get from one side of the court to the other.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
He shouldn't be out there at the end if that's the case. This is game 7. MJ was playing 45 mpg in the '86 playoffs...scoring 63 in one game.
It's kind of unfair to compare George to an athlete as insanely mentally and physically conditioned as Jordan but I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I think Miami will win this next series, too, but Toronto will make it another good series just because they have homecourt advantage.
Honestly, I think if Miami had a healthy Bosh, they would be the team to beat in the east. They're a solid veteran team that is well coached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Like I said though, if a professional player is gassed 40 minutes into a game 7 with the season on the line - that's on him for not be conditioned or the coach for not pulling him out. And it's not like this was the finals or even eastern conference finals - it's the FIRST ROUND. George was 2-7 with 5 turnovers in the 2nd half - that just wont cut it if he wants to be a top tier player.

Kobe, Lebron, MJ, Duncan, Wade, etc, all had seasons of playing heavy minutes in the regular season AND deep into the playoffs.
You would think the adrenaline and mental would take over at that point. Bruce Lee once said the "human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain." I had a company commander once say that your mind will quit way before your body will. If you will yourself to push through, you most likely will.

When Jordan won game 6 of the 1998 NBA finals, he was 35 years old, playing a road game and Scottie Pippen missed a lot of that game. He picked spots to rest on defense in order to conserve his energy. If you will it to happen, it can happen.

What I see a lot of in the military is people mentally quitting.

And yes, I have sustained a major injury, I suffered mild TBI which left me in a middle eastern hospital for 4 days and took months for me to stop swaying due to balance issues.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
It's kind of unfair to compare George to an athlete as insanely mentally and physically conditioned as Jordan but I get your point.

Honestly, I think if Miami had a healthy Bosh, they would be the team to beat in the east. They're a solid veteran team that is well coached.

You would think the adrenaline and mental would take over at that point. Bruce Lee once said the "human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain." I had a company commander once say that your mind will quit way before your body will. If you will yourself to push through, you most likely will.

When Jordan won game 6 of the 1998 NBA finals, he was 35 years old, playing a road game and Scottie Pippen missed a lot of that game. He picked spots to rest on defense in order to conserve his energy. If you will it to happen, it can happen.

What I see a lot of in the military is people mentally quitting.

And yes, I have sustained a major injury, I suffered mild TBI which left me in a middle eastern hospital for 4 days and took months for me to stop swaying due to balance issues.
Thank you for your service I have gained a lot of understanding for ptsd and TBI's, my son sustained a TBI and I have to say it was the worst experience of my life. In fact I have so much more empathy for those who serve in the military and sustain these type of injuries, and even football players with concussion issues. The brain is very fragile physically and spiritually, far more serious than any leg injury.

Anyway back to basketball. The Spurs and Warriors both look unstoppable. It would seem that the Warriors would be vulnerable to the Spurs if Curry doesnt return. During the season it seamed that the Spurs could hang with the Warriors, but when they played it wasnt all that close.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Totally agree...throw in the mental intensity of the playoffs. It is a different level than the regular season.

And remember, NBA courts are longer that your normal rec center courts ... by 20 feet, and high school courts by 10 feet. I remember as a teenager - I got to play on the Capital Centre floor (DC) for an all star game. It took forever to get from one side of the court to the other.
Yup.

There will always be that person that likes to stubbornly beat a dead horse because their egos refuse to acknowledge valid points.

All I originally said, rightfully, ws that Paul George was fatigued and that was causing him to have mental breakdowns towards the end of the game. That's the reality, and it was confirmed by George himself. Yet people want to nitpick and argue that point. Who cares already

Anyways, the Hawks can't buy a shot.

Every possession seems to be dribble dribble dribble then jump up to throw an errant pass. You know how Hubie Brown feels about players leaving their feet to throw a pass.

And some scary moments with Love, hopefully his shoulder and ankle/leg are alright.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 PM

Now that's more like it, OKC coming out strong.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 PM

I won't argue if he was tired or not...I'm just saying it's a shame that he couldn't find an extra gear in a game 7 with the season on the line. He played pretty bad the entire 2nd half so it's not like it was just the last couple of minutes. If he knows the '16 season was basically wasted due to him being gassed when it mattered - hopefully he uses that as motivation to never let another season come down to fatigue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball