Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Resting NBA players help for the playoffs?
YES 13 68.42%
NO 2 10.53%
INJURIES HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

We have seen it for the past few years of NBA players getting a night off for rest and im not referring to the last week or 4 games of the season where your seed is locked and you are preparing for the playoffs,
Im referring to the fad of people getting a day for rest in March and even February sometimes and people will make all sorts of excuses of the benefits of the rest and it will help come playoff time. A game vs the 76ers is $10 for a reason vs $50-80+ to see the Cavs, Spurs or Warriors because you are paying to see the stars, not the reserves and who now adays you cant guarantee they will even play after you spent big bucks to see that team.

But to what im getting at. We can use last year and this year as an example.
Last year:
Demare Carroll - well rested and got nights off for rest and messes up knee in ECF
Kyle Korver- well rested and gets ankle broken by Cavs and the rest of the Hawks lineup were hurt as well from injuries they got in the playoffs.
Kevin Love- well rested gets shoulder ripped out on a dirty play in 1st round
Krye Irving-well rested and fractures knee on a random play in Finals

This year:
Avery Bradley- messes up hamstring in 1st round.
Stephen Curry- very well rested and rolls ankle and just happens to slip on wet spot on the floor in 1st round
Chris Paul- breaks hand on a play in 1st round
Daren WIlliams- Plays 1 min and messes groin back up.
Patrick Curry- messes up leg

This goes to show you can rest a player all you want after taking peoples money, but it cant stop the nature of the game in which a injury can occur on any play in the regular or playoffs, in which the were rested for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Simple answer physically to a small degree yes. It's one less meaningless game a player could get hurt in. Move it to the playoffs is it better being tested 7 game series or winning 4-0 and waiting on your opponent.

Mentally. Absolutely yes. Would you work better with no vacation from now until September? How about Going to work not feeling 100%. i just think humans aren't built to be tuned in 100% of the time

Old 04-26-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Simple answer physically to a small degree yes. It's one less meaningless game a player could get hurt in. Move it to the playoffs is it better being tested 7 game series or winning 4-0 and waiting on your opponent.

Mentally. Absolutely yes. Would you work better with no vacation from now until September? How about Going to work not feeling 100%. i just think humans aren't built to be tuned in 100% of the time
I dont work every single day and NBA players dont work every single day either. If im sick, I may take the day off and im not against NBA players taking a day off if they have the flu or a stomach bug, and Im also for resting if you are injured too because they are not slaves, but outside of that you need to be playing, since that is what you are paid to do.

I do agree you to an extent, but these guys are paid 10's of millions of dollars to play the game of basketball. You didnt see Barkley, Jordan, Iverson taking a day off for rest outside of the last few games and even John Stockton played all 82 games in his last year and he was 40 years old. A few weeks ago the Kings rested Rondo and Cousins for a few games. They are almost a last place team and have no shot of the playoffs, but they are giving rest to their main stars. Who the heck pays to see a teams 3rd string players play. They couldn't wait 2 weeks for the entire off season.

Its not fair to the fans to pay big bugs too see a certain players and when you get there, they are sitting on the bench in a suit for rest. Like I said before, its a reason my 76ers tickets were $10 a piece vs $50+ to see D.Wade, Lebron, or Curry. That was money down the drain when I got to the arena and see Lebron chillin in suit on the bench.

If you are not hurt you need to play and what sucks is everyone is demanding max contracts now too.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
We have seen it for the past few years of NBA players getting a night off for rest and im not referring to the last week or 4 games of the season where your seed is locked and you are preparing for the playoffs,
Im referring to the fad of people getting a day for rest in March and even February sometimes and people will make all sorts of excuses of the benefits of the rest and it will help come playoff time. A game vs the 76ers is $10 for a reason vs $50-80+ to see the Cavs, Spurs or Warriors because you are paying to see the stars, not the reserves and who now adays you cant guarantee they will even play after you spent big bucks to see that team.

But to what im getting at. We can use last year and this year as an example.
Last year:
Demare Carroll - well rested and got nights off for rest and messes up knee in ECF
Kyle Korver- well rested and gets ankle broken by Cavs and the rest of the Hawks lineup were hurt as well from injuries they got in the playoffs.
Kevin Love- well rested gets shoulder ripped out on a dirty play in 1st round
Krye Irving-well rested and fractures knee on a random play in Finals

This year:
Avery Bradley- messes up hamstring in 1st round.
Stephen Curry- very well rested and rolls ankle and just happens to slip on wet spot on the floor in 1st round
Chris Paul- breaks hand on a play in 1st round
Daren WIlliams- Plays 1 min and messes groin back up.
Patrick Curry- messes up leg

This goes to show you can rest a player all you want after taking peoples money, but it cant stop the nature of the game in which a injury can occur on any play in the regular or playoffs, in which the were rested for.
my point of view, being a fan of the spurs who are notorious for resting stars, i have no issue with resting players regardless of what i paid for a ticket. the way i see it, if resting duncan and limiting his minutes shorts me seeing him play 5 games a year, but elongates his career 2 years then i win as i get to see him play more in the long run.

curry this year was in no way "well rested" he actually played almost 100 extra minutes over last year and 1 less game total.

wiliams played 3 less games but only 8 total minutes less than last year, and about 50 minutes more than the year before

korver has played just over 2400 minutes each of the last 3 seasons.

irving is the only one who has really had his minutes reduced (36 to 31 per game) out of your list.

im not exactly sure who patrick curry is though

Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
my point of view, being a fan of the spurs who are notorious for resting stars, i have no issue with resting players regardless of what i paid for a ticket. the way i see it, if resting duncan and limiting his minutes shorts me seeing him play 5 games a year, but elongates his career 2 years then i win as i get to see him play more in the long run.

curry this year was in no way "well rested" he actually played almost 100 extra minutes over last year and 1 less game total.

wiliams played 3 less games but only 8 total minutes less than last year, and about 50 minutes more than the year before

irving is the only one who has really had his minutes reduced (36 to 31 per game) out of your list.

Pat Curry is the Cavs secret weapon- hidden asset on the end of the Canton Charge bench. Just wait- you will see come Spurs v. Cavs.

I'm with you on this issue. Let me add not just the years added but the 'Chip runs that matter. If I go to a game in December with Lebron on the bench so be it. In Lebron's case last year he had the 10 game vaca and came back looking like himself, which was very important down the stretch.

I'd argue that Irving had his minutes reduced more for the fact that Delly played some great basketball this year and was a better stopper, distributor, three point guy.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Oops, meant Pat Beverly on Houston. Duncan is 38, so I can probably maybe make a case for him, but he wasnt sitting in his prime like these players are now. Step Curry sat out the 4th quarter in over 20 games because the Warriors are always blowing the other team out, so its not like he palys 40 minutes a game.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Oops, meant Pat Beverly on Houston. Duncan is 38, so I can probably maybe make a case for him, but he wasnt sitting in his prime like these players are now. Step Curry sat out the 4th quarter in over 20 games because the Warriors are always blowing the other team out, so its not like he palys 40 minutes a game.
pop has been resting duncan for the last 5-8 years. cutting minutes back, he hasnt averaged more than 34 minutes since 2008-09, not more than 35 since 2003-04 and not more than 30 since 2010-11. (hes 40 by the way)
this year only 3 spurs players totaled more than 2000 minutes, the oldest being aldridge at 2261 minutes. thats his lowest total since the last lock out. and before that his lowest total since his rookie season.

with curry, he sat a lot of minutes in the 4th quarter sure but like i said he still played nearly 100 more minutes this season over last. he wasnt "well rested." and thats not taking into consideration the long run of games played last season through to a title.
with his sitting 4ths he is still averaging over 34 mpg. hes young but already logging miles seemingly. partially because he has had issues with ankles.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Gotta wonder what would've happened if GS would've rested their big 3 or 4 once they locked up the #1 seed. That would've been what two weeks rest? If injuries impact them in the playoffs I'm wondering if we'll ever see another team challenge 73 wins. And yes, the fans pay to see stars, but isn't post season success what the fans really want to see? As a fan how can you really be upset if your stars aren't playing, but your team is a #1 seed going into the playoffs?

I'm not sure if we can measure the impact of rest, but if it reduces the odds of injury/fatigue by say 2-3% isn't it sorta worth it? As far as Curry, I've heard people say his body doesn't look as durable as say Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, etc. He bulked up a little in his upper body from weight training, but I think he's naturally a small jointed 175ish pound guy.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
and thats not taking into consideration the long run of games played last season through to a title.
That's true too. A long run to the finals doesn't provide much of an offseason. Finals end in June and NBA teams start practicing in September.

One thing that has impressed me about Lebron is that he's been making all these runs to the finals and hasn't had a major injury yet. Non stop NBA basketball since he was 18 (including Olympics). Granted, I wouldn't be shocked if he has one major injury and turns into Rose/old Kobe overnight.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:35 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Kevin McHale weighed in...

Kevin McHale Goes On Epic Rant Against NBA Players Resting For Playoffs

“This rest stuff just drives me crazy,” he added. “You’re playing basketball for a living, OK? I understand, if you work in a coal mine, that you may need a rest day. You’re playing basketball. The joy that comes with competing in basketball — it’s fun to play. I never got tired in a game. How can you get tired in a game? You’re playing basketball. I don’t understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball