Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:11 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The thing is "you" don't win. "You" have noting to do with that championship.

That's another thing about sports culture I don't like. People attempting to take credit for successes of other people.
Since not everybody in America or on earth lives in Oakland, I will root for the GS Warriors and ALL "west coast" teams, regardless of the fact that I live in Arizona. If that makes all of us who do that BANDWAGON hoppers then so be it. If I/we also happen to revel in OUR success, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
The thing is "you" don't win. "You" have noting to do with that championship.

That's another thing about sports culture I don't like. People attempting to take credit for successes of other people.
Well in most cases you did pay for their stadium, so there's that.
Also fans, and their money. are what keep teams alive, Otherwise there would still the Philadelphia Warriors and Rochester Royals (Kings), and Fort Wayne Pistons, and so on but those owners found more lucrative markets and left.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Fair weather fans and bandwagon fans to me have no substance. They are boring people which is why they follow the trendy team(s). Talk to the Cubs fan in his 60s and 70s or the Browns fan in his 60s or 70s or any Mets fan for that matter. They have some amazing stories to tell about their team, their sport, life in general. Talk to the blonde or the 22 year old dot com employee who cheers on the warriors. These people are boring, they have no substance. Chances are 10 years from now they will not be warriors fans and good chance is 20 years from now they will still think curry and thompson play for the warriors.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Fair weather fans and bandwagon fans to me have no substance. They are boring people which is why they follow the trendy team(s). Talk to the Cubs fan in his 60s and 70s or the Browns fan in his 60s or 70s or any Mets fan for that matter. They have some amazing stories to tell about their team, their sport, life in general. Talk to the blonde or the 22 year old dot com employee who cheers on the warriors. These people are boring, they have no substance. Chances are 10 years from now they will not be warriors fans and good chance is 20 years from now they will still think curry and thompson play for the warriors.
Yep, and next season I'll be jumping on the bandwagon of the Greenville Buckeyes!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Since not everybody in America or on earth lives in Oakland, I will root for the GS Warriors and ALL "west coast" teams, regardless of the fact that I live in Arizona. If that makes all of us who do that BANDWAGON hoppers then so be it. If I/we also happen to revel in OUR success, why not?

How is it your success if you're not on the team?

You have nothing to do with whether they win or lose

Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,311 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm a Bandwagon Fan?

Last year I had no idea who the Golden State Warriors were, or where they came from. Then I discovered that Steve Kerr was their coach. He was an Arizona Wildcat. Luke Walton was another coach of theirs, and he was an Arizona Wildcat. I'm a born & bred Arizonan, so I gravitated over to them.

Yep, I climbed on their bandwagon throughout the season, after never having been a fan before! Then they go on to win the NBA Championship, and I was as happy as any new, bandwagon-climbing fan could be!

Certainly beats being a Phoenix Suns follower.

However, this year, I'm not all that sure about GSW. They're kind of iffy. I may need to climb on the Oklahoma City Thunder's bandwagon...

The good news? As a bandwagon fan, I'll have a championship team every year!
You are a born and bred Arizonan, but you root for the Warriors over the Suns?

Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
How is it your success if you're not on the team?

You have nothing to do with whether they win or lose
Dear Brad,

Welcome to America. The Land of Opportunity.

In America, a team can be MY team because I'm a fan. A fan is a consumer, a customer, a person who enjoys the services and products of his country.

In America, a capitalistic society -- wherein dictators are discouraged -- even if I'm NOT personally playing on ANY team, bandwagon or otherwise, I can appreciate them and love them ad nauseum -- until the cows come home.

All teams in America are YOUR success, MY success, and America's success. Therefore, I, even as a so-called bandwagon fan, am absolutely, positively, really, really, most sincerely involved in their success!

Therefore, I, a free and brave American, have EVERYTHING to do with whether they win or lose.

~ Colt

Old 06-15-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
You are a born and bred Arizonan, but you root for the Warriors over the Suns?
Yep! And remember... this particular thread is about BANDWAGON fans.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:29 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,311 times
Quote:
Yep! And remember... this particular thread is about BANDWAGON fans.
Oh man, you told me, Gump.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I seem to read this type of comment a lot.

"The Warriors are a good team, but they have a lot of bandwagon fans."

Isn't this true of every NBA team in history? It seems like most Bulls fans, for example, are Bulls fans because of Jordan and their dominance during the 90s, not because they grew up in the Chicago area and are fiercely loyal to that club. NBA fandom on the whole seems to be much more player-driven than it is for the NFL, so why the hate on the "bandwagon" fan?
where is why I hate the Bangeagon fan. When anyone is first introduced to a sport they select a team they want to cheer or root for. It can be based on many different things. The local team, most promoted team in a era, favorite players team, most Televised team etc etc. In that moment That is YOUR team. You are bound to them. Especially if you watch them on tv or purchase merch. If you were a Lakers fans in the 80s, Bulls fan in the 90s, Lakers-Spurs fan in the 2Ks you are a terrible sports fan because you are trying to be in the right and on the right all the time. That's a fake fan. Their passion is fake to me. Like they are trying to be fashionable and in style. They want to connect to the IT team when they are hot and a new team when they are hot. Stick with your original liked team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball