Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Which doesn't make sense to me. What is there not to like?
Not enough scoring for me and it's hard to always recognize the players. Might be more exciting if played without a goalie...would be more like basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:43 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Which doesn't make sense to me. What is there not to like?
Lack of diversity, low scoring, and not quite the atmosphere of a big time football game. Of course, I say that last part as a Texas resident, it's probably better in other regions.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lack of diversity, low scoring, and not quite the atmosphere of a big time football game. Of course, I say that last part as a Texas resident, it's probably better in other regions.
Some people don't like blowouts and they want to see competitive games. In fact, for example, if you were watching Vikings Bears on Fox or Patriots Jets on CBS and if any of those games become blowouts those stations will take you to a more competitive game. Again, IMO, NBA has more blowouts because of lack of defense. College basketball, on the other hand, has more defense, most of the time. It's low scoring and it's usually competitive. I can understand why Bob Knight would throw chairs or anything, he wants close games.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:48 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I don't like football and find it boring with the continual timeouts, penalties and overall and stoppage of play. I also find it to be a modern gladiator/bloodsport show, but to each their own. I do get irked when I hear the typical non-basketball fan call modern players "thugs", when the NFL has the vast majority of murderers, rapists, woman-beaters and guys who get shot. Hard not to see race in the equation there.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Some people don't like blowouts and they want to see competitive games. In fact, for example, if you were watching Vikings Bears on Fox or Patriots Jets on CBS and if any of those games become blowouts those stations will take you to a more competitive game. Again, IMO, NBA has more blowouts because of lack of defense. College basketball, on the other hand, has more defense, most of the time. It's low scoring and it's usually competitive. I can understand why Bob Knight would throw chairs or anything, he wants close games.
The biggest myth in football is that "competitive" equals quality. A lot of those close games are usually two teams playing like crap. Who can out blunder the other.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 AM

638 posts, read 624,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't like football and find it boring with the continual timeouts, penalties and overall and stoppage of play. I also find it to be a modern gladiator/bloodsport show, but to each their own. I do get irked when I hear the typical non-basketball fan call modern players "thugs", when the NFL has the vast majority of murderers, rapists, woman-beaters and guys who get shot. Hard not to see race in the equation there.
What murderers or rapists actually play in the NFL?
As for it being a bloodsport, well there's alot more to the game than hitting. And if you think football is the only game where some fans root for players to get hurt, you need to get out more

Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's all part of the game and sometimes they have to use timeouts. Penalties are part of the game as well. You do realize basketball and baseball have stoppage of play like any sport, right? The Pistons-Pacers brawl was stopped due to the brawl by both, the players and the fans. It was a big disgrace. In fact John Saunders of ESPN called those who were in the brawl a bunch of sissies.

Quote:
The biggest myth in football is that "competitive" equals quality. A lot of those close games are usually two teams playing like crap. Who can out blunder the other.
But here's the thing, I would rather see a more competitive game than a blowout. That goes the same for basketball and baseball. I don't mind high scoring games, whether football, basketball, or baseball as long as it's a close game.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
It's all part of the game and sometimes they have to use timeouts. Penalties are part of the game as well. You do realize basketball and baseball have stoppage of play like any sport, right? The Pistons-Pacers brawl was stopped due to the brawl by both, the players and the fans. It was a big disgrace. In fact John Saunders of ESPN called those who were in the brawl a bunch of sissies.

But here's the thing, I would rather see a more competitive game than a blowout. That goes the same for basketball and baseball. I don't mind high scoring games, whether football, basketball, or baseball as long as it's a close game.

I guess different personalities. I'd rather watch highlight reel domination than two teams equally sucking. Of course, it depends on whose playing, too.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:50 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
I love both the NFL and the NBA, and have season tickets for both (Pacers and Colts). I'm actually going to give up my Pacers tickets, as it's too hard to make the games on Tuesday night, Wednesday night, etc. I almost always make a point to be at the Colts games on Sunday/Monday/Thursday, however. There are only 8 home games, as opposed to 41 in the NBA.

Also, I think the complaint about the NFL's constant stoppages isn't really much of an argument in favor of the NBA anymore. These reviews by the NBA officials where they go to the TV and watch the replay are becoming excruciating (on TV, but not so much when I'm at the actual games). There are just way too many reviews right now.

Both basketball and football are great. Soccer sucks. All IMO, of course.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
What does lack of diversity mean? Also I don't quite agree with the low scoring argument, if every goal in hockey actually counted as 3 would the higher score at the end of the game be more appealing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball