Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times

Advertisements

What makes me laugh the most is so much of this is always in retrospect. Where was any of this rhetoric back in November? "Hey guys, wouldn't it be messed up if the league let GS go 73-9, break the bulls record and then let them get up 3-1 in the finals to the cavs and THEN let the cavs come back and win it?" I mean do people really hear themselves?

The fact is in a 7 game series there are gonna be ups and downs. That's the beauty of 7 games. Imagine if the NCAA final four was a round robin type deal where everyone in the final four had to play each other and the one team that went 3-0 was crowned champs. How often would a team go 3-0 in that format? My guess more often you'd have two teams both go 2-1 and have to play a "run off" game or use some sort of tie breaker tie criteria.

Both teams have days in between each game to rest, recover, break down film of themselves and the opponent, make adjustments, etc.... What do you think these teams are doing in between games for crying out loud?

Heck, I don't even coach basketball but even I could see that Cleveland uncovered GS's weak spot towards the end of Game 5. The Cavs realized that if you pick up Klay and Steph right at the time line you greatly reduce their chances when it comes to putting up three point attempts. They're still going to put them up BUT not as often and not as many will go in. AND if they try to force up 3 point attempts out of frustration, those aren't going in either. You saw all of this come to a head in game 6 when Curry got ejected and Thompson walked off with seconds to go. The Warriors knew the Cavs had figured them out and they were just so exhausted at that point that they broke. Curry gets tossed, team loses composure and well that's a wrap for 2016. It's like everyone always says, the ultimate cliche "Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships". The Cavs defense was on point those last 3 games. Somebody watched film and said "you know what? I bet if we pick them up early before they get a chance to get to the arc we'll greatly reduce their ability to jack up 3 balls".

With all that being said Kyrie Irving was unstoppable. If Kyrie keeps this up and there is no reason beyond injury that he can't we may have seen the birth of the next GOAT in Kyrie. He was good before these finals but at this point going forward he really has a great chance of being in those GOAT discussions in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:51 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Like the Kings, the Warriors had the opportunity to win Game 7 at home, and they blew it.
Not true, the fix was in for the Lakers to beat the Kings. There was nothing the Kings could do aside from getting super hot to override the ref bias.

For the Warriors, they just didn't get it done. The game was right there for the taking but they didn't score a basket in four minutes.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:22 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
I'm convinced there was a lot of investment in the NBA, ESPN etc. winning the honor of breaking the Cleveland drought, and propping up Lebron back up as the star of the league... but I'd stop short at predetermined. Golden State had an honest shot of winning tonight. Instead, the 73-9 Warriors are the only team to lose a 3-1 lead in the Finals, including 2 home games. Now that's making history.
I'm convinced too. I'm in the Northeast Ohio area and people are going crazy buying souvenirs, merchandise etc. Someone is making a lot of money.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:40 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Not true, the fix was in for the Lakers to beat the Kings. There was nothing the Kings could do aside from getting super hot to override the ref bias.

For the Warriors, they just didn't get it done. The game was right there for the taking but they didn't score a basket in four minutes.
Making their free throws, instead of shooting 16/30, would have sent the Kings to the Finals.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Making their free throws, instead of shooting 16/30, would have sent the Kings to the Finals.
I can't wait to here the rebuttal to that from the conspiracy bros.

Just like in game 6 when GS shot 4-21 in the first quarter to go down 20 leading to the loss....it was the refs!

Or game 7 when the splash brothers shot 25% from 3-point range....it was the refs!

Some people just can't face reality and make excuses.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:46 AM

465 posts, read 418,400 times
I don't buy the conspiracy theory. An iffy call was made against Green...and he was suspended because of the accumulation of aggressive fouls (not 1 foul). I don't blame the NBA, I blame Green for his actions. There are several clips of him kicking and pushing people. Green deserved it and Green lost the series. That one play resulted in a complete momentum change in the series. Before that play, LeBron was going the motions and playing horribly. Green angered LeBron and woke up a sleeping giant. Again I don't buy the conspiracy theory, but rather it was a series of stupid events by GS.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I'm convinced too. I'm in the Northeast Ohio area and people are going crazy buying souvenirs, merchandise etc. Someone is making a lot of money.
Because if a different team had won the championship the people in that area wouldn't buy championship merchandise.....lmfao.

I mean, just go all in and blame the moon dwelling lizard people....it would be a more coherent argument than the one you just made.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because if a different team had won the championship the people in that area wouldn't buy championship merchandise.....lmfao.

I mean, just go all in and blame the moon dwelling lizard people....it would be a more coherent argument than the one you just made.
No because you have the narrative that Cleveland hasn't won in like 52 years, merchandise and souvenirs will go through the roof. Follow the money

Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Honestly can't believe you people are floating the conspiracy theory that all kinds of people from the league to the refs to the Golden State Warriors (who would be the single most involved party, judging by their play) and apparel companies are colluding for CLEVELAND. Seriously, what the hell are you guys smoking? Buncha pathetic sore cry baby losers. Go get your Steph Curry binky and call your mom for a good cry. Christ.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
No because you have the narrative that Cleveland hasn't won in like 52 years, merchandise and souvenirs will go through the roof. Follow the money
So when a big market team wins...it's a fix because it was a big market team.
When it's a team that hasn't won in a while that's a fix too.
When it's a team with a star player well that's a fix because they are promoting the star.
But when it's a repeat then the league is pushing for the attention of a dynasty.
But when..........

lol...moon lizards....definitely moon lizards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball