Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will go down as the best of all time?
Jordan 28 58.33%
Lebron 9 18.75%
No clear cut winner, it will remain debatable 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

^ there you go making non-sense comparisons again.

Year 13:

Jordan 34 years old (well past prime)

Lebron 31 years old (prime)

What's funny is that 34 year old Jordan had arguably a better season.

Let's see if Lebron goes for nearly 30 ppg at 34....

If what actually happened is what matters...Jordan has 6 rings in 6 tries and Lebron has 3 in 7 tries. 6 is 100% more than 3. But let's face it you can't make a logical argument for Lebron being better without using a ton of "what ifs".

Jordan is essentially the only player in the modern era that got the last laugh against everyone he played against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 07:52 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
You can't use "at year 13" as they're totally different ages.
The tough spot is at 30-31 Jordan was out of the league. By year 13 he was 34 years old and past his prime.
Comparatively by age is a bit better tracking IMO.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
(almost certain Lebron doesn't make 6 straight finals out west).
I agree probably not six straight. But end result, 3 titles could probably be the same. Again, if Lebron goes to pretty much any team in the West they would instantly become title contenders. Add Lebron to a 45 win team in the West and they are now a top 2 or 3 seed in the West. They won't make the Finals every year, but much like the Spurs, when they do they will take care of business against the East.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree probably not six straight. But end result, 3 titles could probably be the same. Again, if Lebron goes to pretty much any team in the West they would instantly become title contenders. Add Lebron to a 45 win team in the West and they are now a top 2 or 3 seed in the West. They won't make the Finals every year, but much like the Spurs, when they do they will take care of business against the East.
agreed, any middle of the road team and up in the west goes to the conf finals at minimum IMO.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
agreed, any middle of the road team and up in the west goes to the conf finals at minimum IMO.
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not?

I'm saying the addition of Lebron to a middle of the road team would equal favorites to make the conference finals. I don't think that's too far fetched with how much better Lebron makes players around him. Now getting past San Antonio or Golden State in the Conference Finals would not be a guarantee. That's why I am saying only half the time he would make the Finals.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
that help?

Quote:
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not?

I'm saying the addition of Lebron to a middle of the road team would equal favorites to make the conference finals. I don't think that's too far fetched with how much better Lebron makes players around him. Now getting past San Antonio or Golden State in the Conference Finals would not be a guarantee. That's why I am saying only half the time he would make the Finals.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
that help?
Sorry it still wasn't clear to me because there was no mention of the addition of an elite player in that sentence.

All good though,

Old 07-12-2016, 09:17 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Jordan is 6-0 in NBA finals, and never even went to a game 7. This fact right here ends the argument, IMO.

Jordan's road to the NBA finals went through multiple hall of fame players in the eastern conference playoffs. Lebron has made it to the finals in an era where the eastern conference was weaker than it had been in decades. I believe that played a MAJOR factor in him going back to Cleveland. Sure, the whole "going home" thing sounds good. But when he left Miami, i don't believe he had any intention on going to the west. OKC, Spurs, Clippers, Kobe...he'd rather do the cakewalk thing in the east.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Could win 3 or could win 1 or 2 - just depends on who he has to go through. Take this year for example - Cavs scraped by the Warriors, but I could've seen OKC or the Spurs giving them just as much of a problem. In the west teams usually have to go through two opponents that are title worthy contenders. Playing in the east you need to beat one elite team from the west and that's in the finals. Regardless, point is - making 7 finals appearances isn't quite that amazing while playing in the east.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
In a league that has always been top-heavy, people have the nerve to criticize how Lebron got his. If he got them all with one team, yall would still criticize him for doing it in the "weak East"...

He's been to 7 of the last 10 Finals. He's defined the league for a decade. In that time, outhis of a supposed gauntlet West, only 3 teams have made 8 of them. The other 2 (Dallas, OKC) only went once apiece. That contradicts @rigas' absurd statement that "any" middle of the road West teams are contenders...

Only 9 NBA teams, out of 30, have made the last 10 NBA Finals. If you aren't lucky enough to get drafted into "Super Team" the league has always had, you have to do it yourself...

The NHL has had 13/30 teams play in the last 10 Stanley Cup Finals; NFL 13/32 teams play in the last 10 Super Bowls; MLB 11/30 teams in the last ten World Series...the NBA is, and has always been, sports biggest Haves vs. Have Note. Only the fortunate have a real chance. How can anybody be mad at any player for going to a better team? Why isnt anybody mad at Aldridge for leaving Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball