Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 02:47 PM

28 posts, read 41,292 times

Advertisements

Just wondering.

ESPN and Turner paid ridiculous amounts of money to retain the rights to broadcast the NBA games. Cable TV ratings have been going down the commode for years now, yet the only consistent type of programming that can give them high ratings is sports. It makes sense why they overpaid, but it's hard to see how they're going to get their return on spending $1.4 billion to retain their NBA broadcasting rights.

Remember the 2011 NBA lockout?

The players association negotiated with the NBA for the players to receive 50 percent of the NBA's revenue. IMO, I'd rather see the players get paid then the owners, especially the bigoted Dan Gilbert. (I'm a Detroiter, and I love my city but I am not a fan of Gilbert.) Not all owners are bad people, but I would rather see the players get paid.

Point is this. If someone handed me a 5 year $135 million contract that was negotiated by my agent and my company, no way in hell I'm turning that down. Unfortunately, my industry is not as popular and as revenue generating as the NBA is.

Without LeBron, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Paul George or Tim Duncan, etc., the NBA would not be making any money because their product is the play of these athletes. Pay them.

I've heard the argument that these NBA players don't contribute to the economy and that's why people are mad. Ummm, are you asleep?! They sure do contribute to the economy! They bring thousands of fans to the games and the fans spend money for tickets, and lets just do some math here:

The lowest numbers of attendance for an NBA team this season belonged to the Denver Nuggets with a total attendance throughout the season for home games of 577,898. That's 14,095 fans a game.
- That's with an average ticket price of $52 and some change.
- That's a total income generated from just tickets at $738,296 per game, for the lowest attendance in the NBA.
- That's $30,270,140 generated from just tickets in a season, for the lowest attendance in the NBA.

The NBA in 2014 generated $4.8 billion with all of the teams revenues. and that's about $160 million per team.

Do you want Dan Gilbert to get all of that money or do you think it's right to pay LeBron $30 mil a year, Kyrie and Tristan Thompson?

If you disagree, or if you are mad that NBA players are getting paid, Please.... PLEASE explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 03:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
It's a ridiculous amount of money being thrown around for slightly above average players. But I can't blame them... get it while you can because it won't always be like this.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
This is a no interest subject for me. I don't see a need for an NBA or any past college basketball players. You want to spend your money going to the games and your time watching their boring ball games, go for it. I would much rather see a child in kindergarten playing basketball. They're interesting. A grown man making a living throwing a ball around?? Really!

Old 07-03-2016, 04:07 PM

609 posts, read 505,867 times
Thanks for this thread. I have been asking the same question in discussion with Family and friends the last couple of days. Why are people mad, that fellow citizens are getting paid in an industry that is swimming in money?
The Clippers owner paid $12millions for a franchise, he later sold for $2 billions. Nobody complained. But we are crying about Mozgov making $60 millions ... Michael Jordan is now a billionaire, thanks for his investment in the Bobcats ... nobody cries foul. But we are all complaining about Batum making $120 millions ?

One of the advantages of the NBA is that the superstar salaries is capped. In the NFL, it is not the case and QBs make so much more money than the punter or the Long Snapper.

Just imagine NCAA players were organized. I wish American workers were better organized. Maybe, the difference between highest paid and lowest paid employees at a job wouldn't be so bad.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I don't care about the figures themselves as much as who is getting it and the impact on their organization. So now a slightly above average point guard has one of the top five salaries in all American sports because of the Grizzlies' desperation. That means Lebron, Curry, Durant and those who deserve to be the highest paid players will demand $40m/year, handcuffing their organizations' abilities to fill out the roster with top talent under the cap, because of one owner's stupidity.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:08 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
From my understanding, the cap went way up and teams have to spend a certain percentage of the cap. Therefore, teams will have to look at what's available and pay them accordingly. If the best you can get at SF is Nick Batum and you have to spend the money anyway...you pay the man.

Perhaps there's a deeper issue making these contracts rub people the wrong way? The US has suffered from wage stagnation for 35 years. $7.25 minimum wage. Increasing income inequality allowing the rich to get richer and poor get poorer. College loan crisis. Globalization sending jobs overseas.

Given America's situation, perhaps there's a hint of jealousy to see people going from say $11M/year to $25M/year. They see the rich instantly getting 100% richer while they are sorta stuck in the mud. Granted, the really, really rich would've gotten richer anyway had the money not been spread around to the players. But it's probably still a little disheartening to see such numbers thrown around.

I guess the question is - will we see rising ticket prices so owners can protect their profit margins? At what point will fans be priced out? The NBA's "fan cost index" is nearly $350 for a family of four to watch one game. I'm certainly never paying that to watch any game.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:17 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
That's a good point. I think we'll start to see more disparity like in the MLB. The Warriors will still sell out every game to rich techies, as well as winners where it's the hottest ticket in town (OKC and Cleveland), but places like Milwaukee and Sacramento will struggle even more than they already are.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:21 PM

609 posts, read 505,867 times
NBA signed a $24 BILLION contract with TV. There are 30 teams and max 15 players per team and players are entitled to 50 percent of league revenues.
Furthermore, Basketball is an international sport. Guys going to Olympics and winning Gold improves the world brand of the NBA.
The salaries of top players and rookies is capped. You can't pay LeBron 100millions.
NBA salaries are guaranteed.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:22 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This is a no interest subject for me. I don't see a need for an NBA or any past college basketball players. You want to spend your money going to the games and your time watching their boring ball games, go for it. I would much rather see a child in kindergarten playing basketball. They're interesting. A grown man making a living throwing a ball around?? Really!
Thanks for your fabulous insight.

Ugh why are you here then?

Old 07-03-2016, 06:58 PM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
The problem I have is that role players like Ryan Anderson and Timofey Mozgov are getting a combined 144 million while the 2 time MVP Steph Curry is working for basically less than peanuts and Klay Thompson isn't getting much else either.

The fact that Mike Conley is going to be the highest paid player next year proves how absurd these contracts are! Is he good?? He's decent. Is he worth $153 million?? Absolutely hell not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball