Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins a 7 game series?
Bulls 15 83.33%
Warriors 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:32 PM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Doesn't even have to be that voters are pissed at the Warriors, although some will be maybe. But the real dilemma is who the heck do you vote for on that team?

It's a tall order for Westbrook. Kobe couldn't do it when Shaq left.

And I'm not sure there are any other players recently that have had a similar situation.

Lillard losing Aldridge? But neither player is considered top five.
Yep. I think the key thing to remember is that Steve Nash has 2 MVP trophys.

That sums up what a fickle and unfair process it can be any given year so who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 02:40 PM

6,328 posts, read 3,579,898 times
I do think it is nice when new guys come along and get MVPs.

But yeah, in retrospect, Curry having the last two MVP awards? Maybe he only should have had one. But it is a different award. It's never been the best player in the game or even the most valuable player to their team.

We all know guys like Shaq, Duncan and Lebron should have more MVPs than what they have.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:01 PM

31,933 posts, read 34,438,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The 2017 Warriors are going to have to play differently and that takes time to make new adjustments. Will one season be enough?
I don't see why it would be that difficult. They are using the same scheme. They've just replaced Barnes with KD.

Quote:
You are losing bench, defense and glue guys: Barnes/Bogut/Ezeli/Speights/Barbosa.
I haven't read anywhere that they have lost or are going to lose Speights and Barbosa. I think the feeling on Bogut was that it was time to part ways. Too injury prone and too much of an offensive liability. I thought he brought a lot of toughness and personality to the squad, though, and that outweighed his contribution on the court this past season imo. If we were talking about Andrew Bogut a few years ago, then that's a different story. He's simply not mobile enough to defend the pick and roll, which was why he sat on the bench a lot during the playoffs.

Don't know much about Pachulia but he's reputed as a solid, not great, defender and he's a clear offensive upgrade over Bogut or Ezeli. If Damian Jones can be athletic (and it looks like he is), then he's already matched Ezeli's defensive prowess. Ezeli looks good on paper because he is big, young, strong and athletic, but he's just not a good basketball player.

Quote:
If you had three balls going at the hoop in one possession the Warriors would have a clear advantage, but the rules allow just one ball.
I don't see that making any difference with the Warriors' scheme. What other player can average 30ppg with 3 minutes of total possession time? With better rebounding, it's likely the Warriors will be able to crank up the pace even more and generate more total possessions per game.

Imagine Draymond Green getting a board and pushing the fast break. Curry runs to one corner, Klay to the other corner, and KD plays the trailer. That's just not fair.:

Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM

The difference between this team and other super teams (aside from the 73 wins, of course) is that we didn't know what the other super teams would become. With Miami, the "there's only one ball" criticism was a legitimate one because a team that already had one ball-dominant superstar would now get 2.5 ball dominant superstars. The same was true of the Celtics Big Three to a lesser extent. For the most part, nobody had any idea what their offense was going to look like.

The Warriors, however, have a very well-defined scheme that they are going to simply plug Durant into. It's not like they went out and got a prime Shaq and now all of a sudden the beautiful ball movement stops because you need to feed the post 25+ times per game. Durant is going to a system that's already tailor-made for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAbKhrnduw

Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 PM

This is what you need to beat the Warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUE_0LRxtpU

Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM

759 posts, read 630,177 times
So now we get to talk about for the next year "So who wins? The '17 Warriors or '96 Bulls?"

Better than nothing I guess. I mean, the season doesn't even start for 3 months and pretty much any swinging *#&# can pick the playoff teams for next season as well as the Finals (Cavs, Warriors) participants right now.

NBA is so watered down...

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM

645 posts, read 765,984 times
I think the Bulls still beat the '17 Warriors. Believe it or not, Steph is the weak link in this comparison because of his poor defense. The Bulls had Harper, Jordan, Pippen and Rodman in their starting 5. Those guys were All-NBA Defensive players. Klay and Draymond are solid defenders, but Curry and Durant are not. In all the years he's been in the NBA now, how many All-Defensive teams has Durant made???

The Warriors are talented, but the Bulls' greatness at both ends of the court puts them over the top in my view. Take a look at the matchups below...

Curry vs. Harper
Klay vs. Jordan
Durant vs. Pippen
Green vs. Rodman
Pachulia vs. Longley

I give Curry an edge on Harper because of his speed and quickness, but Harper would also make him pay on the other end.

Klay is more of a spot shooter with not much ball handling, Jordan would lock him up for sure. Now what do you think would happen at the other end??? LOLOLOLOL...

Durant is an incredible talent offensively, but Pippen is arguably the best defensive SF ever. So you can't assume KD would simply dominate. On the other end, Durant is a non-factor on Defense, so I can see Pippen outplaying him.

I honestly think that Rodman would completely take Draymond out of the game. For his size, Rodman is probably the most gifted rebounder of all time and one of the best defenders of all time. Green is a good player, but I don't think he's at Rodman's level.

Pachulia and Longley can go play poker on the side....

The benches are both good. Iggy and Kukoc would be the best off each bench.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,420,698 times
Bulls in 4 with the average margin of win at 95 points.

Da bulls

Old 07-09-2016, 12:03 AM

11,192 posts, read 9,015,082 times
Quote:
Here we go again only one year later
LOL. Some people are obsessed with Jordan and his bulls..

Old 07-09-2016, 10:06 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,943,333 times
As a Spurs fan I actually feel very optimistic about the Durant move. I'd rather have one gigantic landmine in the WCF than multiple round landmines. Plus they have no size and their depth is shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball