Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times

Advertisements

If I were OKC, I would sit down with Westbrook and his agent and sell him on staying with the franchise and building the team around him.

Focus on all of the young talent that they still have:

Oladipo (24 years old)
Kanter (24 years old)
Steven Adams (22 years old)
Sabonis (20 years old)
Cameron Payne (21 years old)

The cupboard isn't bare; the team is young but there is talent there. I would try to sell Westbrook on this and see if they can get him to agree to a max deal ala what Mike Conley did (5yr/$153 million). Give him a couple of weeks to think about it.

If Westbrook refuses to sign a contract extension, then I quietly try to talk a trade with a team that has a lot of young talent, like Boston. I would try to get something like this:

Boston gets:
Westbrook

OKC gets:
Terry Rozier
Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown

draft picks that OKC gets:
Boston's 2017 1st round pick (the pick from Brooklyn)
Boston's 2018 1st round pick (the pick from Brooklyn)
*another future 1st rounder from Boston (must be top 6 pick)

It is a crazy and I know the idea is that you don't trade a player like Westbrook but you can't let him walk next offseason for nothing. The above scenario gives OKC 3 former 1st rounders (Rozier, Smart, Brown) and 3 future 1st round draft picks to rebuild with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:08 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
If I were OKC, I would sit down with Westbrook and his agent and sell him on staying with the franchise and building the team around him.

Focus on all of the young talent that they still have:

Oladipo (24 years old)
Kanter (24 years old)
Steven Adams (20 years old)
Sabonis (22 years old)
Cameron Payne (21 years old)

The cupboard isn't bare; the team is young but there is talent there. I would try to sell Westbrook on this and see if they can get him to agree to a max deal ala what Mike Conley did (5yr/$153 million). Give him a couple of weeks to think about it.

If Westbrook refuses to sign a contract extension, then I quietly try to talk a trade with a team that has a lot of young talent, like Boston. I would try to get something like this:

Boston gets:
Westbrook

OKC gets:
Terry Rozier
Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown

draft picks that OKC gets:
Boston's 2017 1st round pick (the pick from Brooklyn)
Boston's 2018 1st round pick (the pick from Brooklyn)
*another future 1st rounder from Boston (must be top 6 pick)

It is a crazy and I know the idea is that you don't trade a player like Westbrook but you can't let him walk next offseason for nothing. The above scenario gives OKC 3 former 1st rounders (Rozier, Smart, Brown) and 3 future 1st round draft picks to rebuild with.
Yeah, you trade him somewhere for a ton of future draft picks and then hope it all blows up and the picks turn into good stuff.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 AM

653 posts, read 782,681 times
I can't believe OKC will lose Durant and Westbrook with nothing to show for them, so I anticipate a trade at some point before he hits the open market.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:47 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
I don't think Westbrook wants to watch Durant (and other stars) win NOW while he goes through a 2-3 year rebuilt that may never materialize. Players want to win now and if they means "colluding" so be it.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Russell Westbrook is going to remain with the Oklahoma City Thunder to be the face of the franchise.
Good luck with that!! He will sign elsewhere after next season if he isn't traded first. And here is the first trade scenario.

The Lakers give up D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle to send Westbrook home. That is better than nothing if they let him go FA.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
forgetting basketball for a second, why would a mega rich young man choose to live in oklahoma vs living in say, la?

there's a reason westbrook went to school in california.

rw probably told kd there's zero chance he's staying beyond this season, that was a factor i believe in kd's haste to get out of dodge.

Yea, it is because he is from LA!!

Old 07-05-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Good luck with that!! He will sign elsewhere after next season if he isn't traded first. And here is the first trade scenario.

The Lakers give up D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle to send Westbrook home. That is better than nothing if they let him go FA.
Why would Westbrook want to join that?

He's getting a max deal anywhere he goes so the smallest offer net of Tax is from the Lakers and he'd be joining a team of scrubs.

Sorry but this fails the "What's in it for Russell" test

Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Maybe because of the fans? Laker fans are a weird bunch.

Taxes. They're ridiculously high in commiefornia and cost of living is high. Cost of living is low in OK. It all adds up, even for the mega rich. Maybe except for the mega rich hollyweird types who make in a single movie what Westbrook makes in a season and they have no worries that an injury would end their career.

Personally I would like to see some contraction and realignment of the league. Why are teams like Memphis, OKC and Minnesota in the west?
All California haters always talk about our taxes, believe me, when you are making millions upon millions, they are not going to mind living in paradise. When you live in a mansion hosting a party while overlooking the ocean in perfect weather. Do you think they think about their taxes??

Only at tax time, they will say that is the price for living where I live. I have been to Oklahoma a few times on business, I personally would easily rather live in California and pay higher taxes than live in OK.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
All California haters always talk about our taxes, believe me, when you are making millions upon millions, they are not going to mind living in paradise. When you live in a mansion hosting a party while overlooking the ocean in perfect weather. Do you think they think about their taxes??

Only at tax time, they will say that is the price for living where I live. I have been to Oklahoma a few times on business, I personally would easily rather live in California and pay higher taxes than live in OK.
Secondary residence in California, Primary in another state.

You can easily enjoy the benefits of California without paying the tax bill.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:59 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:

Okc will want more than that....more like Ingram, Randle, and Russell OR Ingram, Clarkson, and Russell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball