Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes and yes.

What do you mean by this? I'm going to assume you are not saying that Larry Bird and Karl Malone are NOT all-time greats. Rather, I'm going to assume you mean that those guys are not the best to ever do it at their respective positions (still questionable).
Yep, I meant that they are generally regarded as the best to play that position.

Meaning that no matter what you select for your squad, the 1992 dream team will have better players at the 1 & 2 positions. Karl Malone is awesome but a rival squad would have a Tim Duncan. Bird is awesome but there is Lebron and so on and so forth.

Agreed that people could pick nits with some of that so I'm just saying "in general" but against an "all-time" team the DT will face the most trouble at the 3-5 slots, maybe that's a safer statement without getting people defensive about players they love\hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 AM

653 posts, read 782,384 times
Johnson/Thomas
Stockton/Hardaway
Jordan/Richmond
Drexler/Dumars
Pippen/Lewis
Mullin/Manning
Bird/L. Johnson
Malone/Coleman
Barkley/Rodman
Ewing/Shaq
Robinson/Olajuwon
Laettner/Miller

From the same era... 8 HOFers on the challenging team, with Reggie Lewis being a "what if". Remember, this is 1991-1992 Larry Johson, a beast!! Hardaway was an established 20/10 pg and GP was just getting started so Tim gets the nod, with K.J. a close second. Manning was a good player as well. I still don't think they stack up agains the Dream Team.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Johnson/Thomas
Stockton/Hardaway
Jordan/Richmond
Drexler/Dumars
Pippen/Lewis
Mullin/Manning
Bird/L. Johnson
Malone/Coleman
Barkley/Rodman
Ewing/Shaq
Robinson/Olajuwon
Laettner/Miller

From the same era... 8 HOFers on the challenging team, with Reggie Lewis being a "what if". Remember, this is 1991-1992 Larry Johson, a beast!! Hardaway was an established 20/10 pg and GP was just getting started so Tim gets the nod, with K.J. a close second. Manning was a good player as well. I still don't think they stack up agains the Dream Team.

Nice try though, I think they still get beat by 15-20pts!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM

298 posts, read 276,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
David Robinson vs Kareem Abdul-Jabar
Karl Malone vs Tim Duncan
Larry Bird vs Lebron James
Michael Jordan vs Kobe Bryant
Scottie Pippen vs Kevin Durant
Magic Johnson vs __________?
John Stockton vs Chris Paul
Charles Barkley vs Paul Pierce (prime)
Patrick Ewing vs Kevin Garnett

Damn. This ain't easy.
I would add either Westbrook or James Harden, or maybe even Shaun Livingston??? I don't know.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:56 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Isaiah Thomas.

Yes he's a grade A douche bag as a person, but as a competitor one of the best ever. His talent and fire made him seem taller than his 6/6'1" skinny frame.

Unfairly snubbed from the original Dream Team.
Michael Jordan wouldn't have played on the original Dream Team had Isiah Thomas been selected. (This is detailed in Jack McCallum's book about the Dream Team.) Isiah had also rubbed his one-time good friend Magic Johnson the wrong way with some comments he made after Magic announced he was HIV positive. (That is detailed in Jackie MacMullan's Larry Bird/Magic Johnson biography, "When the Game Was Ours".) There were a number of other guys on the 1992 team (Larry Bird, who Isiah indirectly insulted via a comment made by Dennis Rodman after a 1987 playoff game, Scottie Pippen, and Karl Malone in particular) who didn't like or had reason not to like Isiah Thomas either. The chemistry, which was very good on the original Dream Team, wouldn't have been the same and almost definitely would have been much worse than it actually was.

I think leaving Isiah Thomas off the original Dream Team was the right idea.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Johnson/Thomas
Stockton/Hardaway
Jordan/Richmond
Drexler/Dumars
Pippen/Lewis
Mullin/Manning
Bird/L. Johnson
Malone/Coleman
Barkley/Rodman
Ewing/Shaq
Robinson/Olajuwon
Laettner/Miller

Thanks for at least putting Olajuwon on Robinson. That is a no-brainer.

Johnson/K. Bryant
Stockton/A. Iverson
Jordan/D. Wilkins
Drexler/G. Gervin
Pippen/D. Rodman
Mullin/A. English
Bird/J. Worthy
Malone/M. Malone
Barkley/S. Kemp
Ewing/Shaq
Robinson/H. Olajuwon
Laettner/R. Miller

I chose not to put in anyone if have not seen play (Bill Russell, Chamberlain, etc).

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-16-2016 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball