Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 02:21 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dang, I pulled up the list and that's some rare-air.

The other name I saw that caught me off guard for him still being essentially in his prime is Lebron with 28,300+ points.

He's 32 now so he's going to start tailing off but even if he puts up 3 more years of 2k and then 3 more years of 1k on average that would get him to 37,000 roughly where Karl Malone is in 2nd place.

He should make the top 3 no problem but will need to get a little lucky avoiding injuries >35 in order to catch Kareem.

Personally, barring a major injury where he loses a year and never really recovers he's got a pretty good shot at that record.
We all had this discussion in the past.
I think Kobe had a shot had he not lost a couple seasons+.
Lebron could get there as you said, barring injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
18 seasons with 50+ wins, 20 straight playoff appearances. Go Spurs go

Old 03-09-2017, 11:24 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
Dang, I pulled up the list and that's some rare-air.

The other name I saw that caught me off guard for him still being essentially in his prime is Lebron with 28,300+ points.

He's 32 now so he's going to start tailing off but even if he puts up 3 more years of 2k and then 3 more years of 1k on average that would get him to 37,000 roughly where Karl Malone is in 2nd place.

He should make the top 3 no problem but will need to get a little lucky avoiding injuries >35 in order to catch Kareem.

Personally, barring a major injury where he loses a year and never really recovers he's got a pretty good shot at that record.
The scoring mark for Lebron is special but the fact that his assist and steal totals will land Top 10 possibly Top 25 all time in Rebounds. Is there another player with this distinction?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The scoring mark for Lebron is special but the fact that his assist and steal totals will land Top 10 possibly Top 25 all time in Rebounds. Is there another player with this distinction?
Don't know, wouldn't shock me if he ends up with career stat totals that set the bar.

I usually don't pay much attention to that stuff because it's so hard to compare across different eras and some people hang around a shadow of their former selves and climb the rankings but to what effect?

Great example would be Tim Duncan, spent four years in college keeping his promise to his dying mother.
That's 2-3 years of stats right there, doesn't mean anything in terms of his legacy though.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:40 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Reminds me of kobes last game. Everyone was talking about how great it was because he scored 60 on 50 shots.
🤦🏼*♂️
That was pretty epic though simply because it was Kobe being Kobe.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Don't know, wouldn't shock me if he ends up with career stat totals that set the bar.

I usually don't pay much attention to that stuff because it's so hard to compare across different eras and some people hang around a shadow of their former selves and climb the rankings but to what effect?

Great example would be Tim Duncan, spent four years in college keeping his promise to his dying mother.
That's 2-3 years of stats right there, doesn't mean anything in terms of his legacy though.

P.S. The pts-rebs-assists thing is imo a factor at least in some degree of the small-ball era of the NBA with rules changes. Two guys that would come to mind would be Magic and the Big O but they played in VERY different eras

Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:

P.S. The pts-rebs-assists thing is imo a factor at least in some degree of the small-ball era of the NBA with rules changes. Two guys that would come to mind would be Magic and the Big O but they played in VERY different eras
At first I thought Magic and Oscar. Magic doesn't have the point totals, Oscar didn't have the assists.

Lebron will be Top 10 in steals and Assists probably at 35. That's amazing. He will likely crack Top 25 in Rebounds if he "hangs" on until 38.

Lebron is quietly putting together an MVP season- I rarely hear his name brought up as even a candidate. I'm not a Lebron cheerleader either.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
At first I thought Magic and Oscar. Magic doesn't have the point totals, Oscar didn't have the assists.

Lebron will be Top 10 in steals and Assists probably at 35. That's amazing. He will likely crack Top 25 in Rebounds if he "hangs" on until 38.

Lebron is quietly putting together an MVP season- I rarely hear his name brought up as even a candidate. I'm not a Lebron cheerleader either.
He's a cav, of COURSE you're a Lebron cheerleader. Cmon bud, you have to own that.

Guy is one of the top top greats, no need to try to boost him.

No way he gets those rebounds in other eras so you have to take it with a grain of salt but me personally I have him in the top 10 all time as of right now.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Really wanted to add the following.

When an Andy Warhol painting comes up for sale, they generally know what it will sell for.

When a Leonardo Divinci work comes up for sale all bets are off. The sketches Bill Gates bought a few decades ago hadn't been for sale for many decades and prior to that centuries.

When discussing awesome HOFers like Dominique Wilkins there are a lot more comparables so it's easier to compare.

When discussing players like Jordan or Lebron etc. then there really aren't any comparables because there are only 5-10 guys up in that stratosphere if that. So one has career stats or one has MVP's or another Championships but it's all kinda moot because they played in different eras, with profoundly different play styles, medical treatment, games per year etc.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Pelicans now 1-5 with Cousins (they won 1 game with Cousins suspended). I know it takes time to build chemistry, but people were talking about the Pelicans making a run at the playoffs when the trade happened. They have about a 0% chance of making up 4 games on the Nuggets with only 17-18 left to play. They probably need a superstar PG to make a trio and win games.

The Kings will keep their lotto pick plus Hield and Stein and playing well. The trade doesn't look so bad now. Hield is putting up 13ppg on 51% in 24 minutes. That's darn near a 20ppg player given 30-35 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball