Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 01:14 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug* the lottery system largely does prevent tanking. I posted earlier what moving from #2 to #3 does to their changes and I think it was about 10%.

If you really want to blame someone go look at the trades they made to get Steve Nash etc.

But don't worry, I hear they're a big market where everyone wants to go so no doubt Durant will go there and so will Westbrook along with Lebron.

That's why the people who made the Steve Nash trade are fired!!! And I know you are being so obvious sarcastic, but with Magic now in charge, be careful what you get sarcastic about.

With Magic in charge and his cred with NBA players, I do see LA as a free agent destination. Only time will tell I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:35 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Might as well have broken it IMO considering Oscar played about 10 more minutes per game.

I also think Harden's numbers knock a tiny bit of luster off Westbrook's accomplishment. Perhaps today's NBA style of play allows for elite guards to get more triple doubles because they have the ball so much + more spacing for rebounds + more 3s creating long rebounds.
I love Harden and his 11.1 assists per game average is remarkable since I feel some have considered him 'selfish' in the past. He averages 29.9 PPG, 8.1 RPG, and 11.1 APG for the season, all sensational numbers for a guard.

But I think Westbrook is by far the bigger impact to his team and his triple double average for the season (as a 6'3" guard) is icing on the cake for being MVP.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:59 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I love Harden and his 11.1 assists per game average is remarkable since I feel some have considered him 'selfish' in the past. He averages 29.9 PPG, 8.1 RPG, and 11.1 APG for the season, all sensational numbers for a guard.

But I think Westbrook is by far the bigger impact to his team and his triple double average for the season (as a 6'3" guard) is icing on the cake for being MVP.
That's true. The decision for some voters might come down to the sheer craziness of Westbrook's numbers vs Harden's numbers on a team that will finish with the 3rd most wins. I think Westbrook wins it. Maybe the first round will tell us who the real MVP should be. If the Thunder lose in 4 or 5, perhaps it makes Westbrook's stats advantage look a little more empty.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
That's true. The decision for some voters might come down to the sheer craziness of Westbrook's numbers vs Harden's numbers on a team that will finish with the 3rd most wins. I think Westbrook wins it. Maybe the first round will tell us who the real MVP should be. If the Thunder lose in 4 or 5, perhaps it makes Westbrook's stats advantage look a little more empty.
Can't wait for this matchup.

This is going to be another great playoff year with many compelling storylines.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Westbrook has been chasing the triple-double record for most of the season, so there were probably more cases of his teammates consciously trying to get him rebounds (by boxing out and waiting for Westbrook to get the ball) than in Harden's case. If Westbrook's edge in the rebounding department is manufactured by his teammates, it almost makes Harden's season more impressive, given that Harden is the more efficient scorer....

Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
That's why the people who made the Steve Nash trade are fired!!! And I know you are being so obvious sarcastic, but with Magic now in charge, be careful what you get sarcastic about.

With Magic in charge and his cred with NBA players, I do see LA as a free agent destination. Only time will tell I guess.
Actually no, I wasn't being sarcastic about the LA free agency advantage being a myth. They had a Dr. Buss advantage and to some extent a large market advantage up until the internet changed all that.

Yeah but you've got to wait now to clear off Deng and Moz cap space and of course they only have about a 40% chance now of losing two of their next three first rounders.

Hey, I love Magic but talk about giving him the uphill struggle....cap space hammered and not much to trade or even a core to add talent too.

Lakers recover then great but it's going to be a while but I like their coach and GM so wishing them success.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
Westbrook has been chasing the triple-double record for most of the season, so there were probably more cases of his teammates consciously trying to get him rebounds (by boxing out and waiting for Westbrook to get the ball) than in Harden's case. If Westbrook's edge in the rebounding department is manufactured by his teammates, it almost makes Harden's season more impressive, given that Harden is the more efficient scorer....
Plus Harden was able to Get Out from the Kardashian machine with his mental health intact. For that reason alone, I'd be okay with him winning the MVP

Old 04-07-2017, 03:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually no, I wasn't being sarcastic about the LA free agency advantage being a myth. They had a Dr. Buss advantage and to some extent a large market advantage up until the internet changed all that.

Yeah but you've got to wait now to clear off Deng and Moz cap space and of course they only have about a 40% chance now of losing two of their next three first rounders.

Hey, I love Magic but talk about giving him the uphill struggle....cap space hammered and not much to trade or even a core to add talent too.

Lakers recover then great but it's going to be a while but I like their coach and GM so wishing them success.

Yea, that Deng and Moz(goof) deal was the final nail in the coffin for Jim Buss and sorry to say Mitch Kupchak. I do think that it will take some time, but there will be in incline to the teams success from here on out. Just how long will that take, who knows???

Old 04-07-2017, 07:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Wow...this Cavs vs Hawks game has been fun to watch. The Hawks are thumping to Cavs despite playing their bench (no Howard, Bazemore, Schroeder).

Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Irving shot 8-13, and LeBron shot 12-15, Fyre shot 6-10, Love grabbed 15 rebounds......and the Cavs lost by 14!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball