Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

At this point it's GSW, Cleveland, and then everyone else.

Who will step it up to the next level? Will the Sixers return to NBA level play?

Spurs making a statement on opening night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
Chemistry was my main concern when the Kevin Durant transaction was made. Its way too early in the season to come to a definite conclusion. After 20 games or so will be a better indicator.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:38 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Well at least we know the warriors will not go undefeated.
When they rebuilt their team, I said it from the start, they're way to small and no inside defense.
Losing bogut, speights, ezeli hurt their interior defense and the Spurs showed that to be true.
Zaza is garbage, I expect McGee to take minutes if he can keep his head on straight.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:42 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
GSW issue (one that I mentioned this Summer) you have one basketball and four guys that are more comfortable creating and scoring playing in that same rotation. They need to find the right rotations. It took Cleveland 1.5 years.

The regular season will be the adjustment time. I think they will come out a few nights a month and just destroy people and then you will see a few 125-122 games where there weak interior defense shows up.

They have time to figure it out.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
I think Reggie was right when he said the Warriors aren't this bad and the Spurs aren't this good.

The problem for the Warriors was D. And giving up points in the paint. The Warriors were down around 10 most of the game but could never close the gap because the Spurs just wouldn't let up. Also it's not like the Spurs were a bad team or a team in need of a rebuild. Again, the Spurs will be a 60+ win team no doubt.

In contrast to the other game....

The Knicks looked pretty good for two quarters. On paper they don't look half bad. Rose looked ok, Porzingis looked ok, Melo was doing what Melo does. However I think the breakdown came when the benches were put in. Jefferson seemed to step it up for the Cavs. Plus Lebron looked pretty low key. They were moving, moving the ball around and eventually pulled away.

I just hope some of the teams in the East make it interesting.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think Reggie was right when he said the Warriors aren't this bad and the Spurs aren't this good.

The problem for the Warriors was D. And giving up points in the paint. The Warriors were down around 10 most of the game but could never close the gap because the Spurs just wouldn't let up. Also it's not like the Spurs were a bad team or a team in need of a rebuild. Again, the Spurs will be a 60+ win team no doubt.

In contrast to the other game....

The Knicks looked pretty good for two quarters. On paper they don't look half bad. Rose looked ok, Porzingis looked ok, Melo was doing what Melo does. However I think the breakdown came when the benches were put in. Jefferson seemed to step it up for the Cavs. Plus Lebron looked pretty low key. They were moving, moving the ball around and eventually pulled away.

I just hope some of the teams in the East make it interesting.
I think the Spurs and Cavs are more settled at this point. Refreshing change for once.

The Cavs will look downright frustrating at points this season- maybe not as bad as last year (I think the bench is little better). Their goal is the best record in East (58 wins probably does it), stay healthy and keep Lebron and Kyrie's minutes down. I know one thing Shumpert is not a PG- they need either Kay Felder to step up or they need to acquire someone.

The Warriors are gonna acquire a big who can defend at the deadline. They did the NBA a favor losing Bogut, Ezeli and Speights and bringing in Zaza.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:56 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
When they rebuilt their team, I said it from the start, they're way to small and no inside defense.
Losing bogut, speights, ezeli hurt their interior defense and the Spurs showed that to be true.
Zaza is garbage, I expect McGee to take minutes if he can keep his head on straight.
The Spurs are one of the few NBA teams that can exploit this size differential. It was not an ideal matchup for their first game of the season.

The Warriors' offense didn't look anything like it did last season. The weaves, the split cuts, horns, etc. were nowhere to be found. Zaza and West looked lost. The ball movement basketball purists have come to love from the Warriors was basically non-existent. The Spurs, on the other hand, looked like the Spurs.

Aside from sorely needed rim protection (which McGee might be able to provide in spurts), Bogut gave the Warriors a tough, defensive identity. It kind of makes you wonder if the Warriors should have given up Iggy instead.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:37 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
The bench took a big hit as well.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:02 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Spurs are one of the few NBA teams that can exploit this size differential. It was not an ideal matchup for their first game of the season.

The Warriors' offense didn't look anything like it did last season. The weaves, the split cuts, horns, etc. were nowhere to be found. Zaza and West looked lost. The ball movement basketball purists have come to love from the Warriors was basically non-existent. The Spurs, on the other hand, looked like the Spurs.

Aside from sorely needed rim protection (which McGee might be able to provide in spurts), Bogut gave the Warriors a tough, defensive identity. It kind of makes you wonder if the Warriors should have given up Iggy instead.
I have a feeling Greens defensive standing in the nba is going to take a hit. he cant be covered by guys like bogut anymore, and he cant guard guys like aldridge as well as was believed.

AI IMO would have been a better person to let walk as he is redundant with green there. now with durant, AI is going to be pushed to the PF/C spot a bit i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bench took a big hit as well.
yes it did. the spurs bench exploited that hard last night.

maybe just 1 game, maybe an eye opener for GSW, maybe an eye opener for the league.
last night reggie talked about how the warriors are bringing in 7 new players, but talked like the spurs are identical to last season. spurs have 6 new players on the roster, and lost their vet leader and defensive anchor in duncan.

but they constant is POP, out coaching the league again this year i bet. lol

Old 10-26-2016, 07:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
Quote:
Kenny Smith on TNT stated they will lose 5 games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball