Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

About time, Ewing finally gets a head coaching position at his former school (the greatest Hoya basketball player ever)

Georgetown hires Patrick Ewing as men's basketball coach

Quote:
Patrick Ewing put Georgetown basketball on the map, turning the Hoyas into a national power as the menacing force in the middle in the 1980s.

Three decades later, Ewing is the Big Man on Campus again.

Georgetown hired Ewing on Monday, bringing the Hoyas legend back to take over a program that had fallen on hard times over the past two seasons and helping the former All-American center finally realize his long-held dream of becoming a head coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
He's deserved a head coaching opportunity for years, but execs are biased against big men in favor of former point guards. Glad to see him finally getting his shot.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Sticking with the glory years! Next up: Alonzo Mourning

Old 04-04-2017, 12:53 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Does this mean he's a coach for life no matter how poorly he does?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Former star players usually do not make good coaches. Georgetown tried nepotism, and that didn't work. I don't think that they will be able to reclaim their glory years. Games are called tightly by the officials now, and Big Johns "thug ball" would not be allowed.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:19 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Former star players usually do not make good coaches. Georgetown tried nepotism, and that didn't work. I don't think that they will be able to reclaim their glory years. Games are called tightly by the officials now, and Big Johns "thug ball" would not be allowed.
You think it's nepotism? I think some schools just like to "keep it in the family" to please the fans and ex players. It's sorta like UNC hiring from within...Roy Williams, Doherty and Guthridge can all be traced back to Dean Smith who coached in the 60s. Dean was coached by Phog Allen who was coached by James Naismith.

I kinda hate it when a school has to hire someone with absolutely no connection to the school or former players.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:15 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You think it's nepotism? I think some schools just like to "keep it in the family" to please the fans and ex players. It's sorta like UNC hiring from within...Roy Williams, Doherty and Guthridge can all be traced back to Dean Smith who coached in the 60s. Dean was coached by Phog Allen who was coached by James Naismith.

I kinda hate it when a school has to hire someone with absolutely no connection to the school or former players.
I do not think hiring Ewing is nepotism, but hiring Thompson Jr sure was. DePaul tried the same thing with Joey Meyer, and had the same results as Georgetown.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I do not think hiring Ewing is nepotism, but hiring Thompson Jr sure was. DePaul tried the same thing with Joey Meyer, and had the same results as Georgetown.
Not so much nepotism as keeping it in the John Thompson Universe since 1973.

Having said that, I am a big fan of Patrick and think he has the potential to do great things there. Hoya Saxa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball