Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,023,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I didn't get to catch much of the Memphis-San Antonio game. Have you guys ever seen that type of disparity in free throw attempts between two teams and thought the refs were accurate in how they called the game? I am sure that this has happened before but typically you expect the free throw attempts to be a little more even (unless one team is just clearly more aggressive than the other in attacking the basket).
you would think things would be even, or close to it, but generally its not.
the more aggressive team tends to take more FTs.
in addition, the spurs dont foul much. spurs are ranked 5th least fouls per game, memphis is ranked 2nd most fouls per game. last nights game, the griz had 22 fouls. thats actually right at their average.
the spurs fouled 13 times, thats a little below their average.

OKC took 96 more ft than their opponents in the playoffs last year.
2015-16 Postseason NBA Team Stats and League Leaders - Differential - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Old 04-18-2017, 07:50 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,672,401 times
Thanks for the response. I'm a Grizz fan but it is tough to watch Conley and Gasol's prime being wasted because the roster around them is so void of talent. IMO, Memphis has no less than 3 players (Harrison, Selden, Ennis) playing real minutes who are basically D-leaguers.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,023,894 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm a Grizz fan but it is tough to watch Conley and Gasol's prime being wasted because the roster around them is so void of talent. IMO, Memphis has no less than 3 players (Harrison, Selden, Ennis) playing real minutes who are basically D-leaguers.
gotta consider parsons and allen being out hurts.

management giving conely 26+, and parsons 22+ wasnt exactly the best idea to build a future around.
conley is solid but hes not a top 5 PG, and parsons is kinda a joke really.

vince still has a little game left, but hes not a 25-30 mpg guy like hes been getting.

its really IMO time to blow things up and start over.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM

I think with Conley they were scared to death that a team like the Knicks would go all-in with a max offer (basically 4 years/$113 million is I think the max they could have offered) and that he would bolt. I personally wasn't comfortable with the contract that they gave Conley but I understand why they felt they had to do it.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,776,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
Detroit was giving cavs close games last year and got swept,pacers will get swept.

Lebron and cavs are warming up,they know they got the east on lock.

Lebron is smart sweep through the conference get rest and wait for the warriors!
This has a different feel.

Cavs D was getting dialed in, and the intensity level on both ends of the court was better. Lebron wasn't throwing the ball away and they weren't making lazy cross court passes like they have been in these past two games.

The good news the intensity level could improve and the dumb mistakes can be corrected.

I think they miss Delly- on ball defender PG position, offense disruptor and diving on floor and bringing it every night. They don't have that element. Shumpert brought it for five minutes last night- it lifted the team on that end- Delly gave you 20 mins. of that every night.

Hey it is 2-0. I think Paul George is playing great, the Pacers as whole I think are playing really well. It is bad matchup for them they don't have a Lebron or Kyrie stopper and those two get what they want- it is probably a reason why they appear to be coasting right now.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,776,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I heard Paul George called out his teammates after the loss last night saying that he needs to see more.
Offensively??? They have multiple guys playing well.

If he's calling out the attempted defense on Lebron and Kyrie that's another issue.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

management giving conely 26+, and parsons 22+ wasnt exactly the best idea to build a future around.

vince still has a little game left, but hes not a 25-30 mpg guy like hes been getting.

Also, on the "blow things up and start over" part, there is a part of me that agrees with you but the real problem with that is that you have Chris Wallace running things and handling trades/signings/drafts. Take a look at his draft history with Memphis. Wallace literally hasn't drafted a single player in the last 6 or 7 years that contributes and plays a meaningful role for Memphis. That in itself is why Conley and Gasol have almost no help. Wallace would almost certainly screw up the rebuild too.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 AM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
I didn't get to catch much of the Memphis-San Antonio game. Have you guys ever seen that type of disparity in free throw attempts between two teams and thought the refs were accurate in how they called the game? I am sure that this has happened before but typically you expect the free throw attempts to be a little more even (unless one team is just clearly more aggressive than the other in attacking the basket).
Refs definitely missed some calls... he was highlighting the fact that Memphis had twice as many shots in the post as the Spurs - yet only got less the half of the free throws.

I know they missed Z-Bo getting fouled on the fore arm - and it should have been a three point play. M Gasol had hand on ball and should have been a jump ball, but he was called for a shooting foul.

The Griz were definitely more physical than Game 1 - but the disparity should not have been that much. Leonard shot more free throws than the whole Griz team.

I didn't know he was a Heat assistant in the LBJ years - so he kinda understands those calls.

I like what he did. "They're not gonna rook us."

Entire presser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSw_LjYzRkA

Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM

29,443 posts, read 22,366,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
Detroit was giving cavs close games last year and got swept,pacers will get swept.

Lebron and cavs are warming up,they know they got the east on lock.

Lebron is smart sweep through the conference get rest and wait for the warriors!
Yup they're just getting started. Cavs east conference champs.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:41 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,503,547 times
Quote:
Also, on the "blow things up and start over" part, there is a part of me that agrees with you but the real problem with that is that you have Chris Wallace running things and handling trades/signings/drafts. Take a look at his draft history with Memphis. Wallace literally hasn't drafted a single player in the last 6 or 7 years that contributes and plays a meaningful role for Memphis. That in itself is why Conley and Gasol have almost no help. Wallace would almost certainly screw up the rebuild too.
With the exception of the Thabeet miss, the Grizzlies have been drafting so low that you can't expect a whole lot. And they still drafted some useful players--DeMarre Carroll, Xavier Henry, Greivis Vasquez, Tony Wroten. I think Baldwin was a good choice (i.e., he has a shot at panning out).

This is a team that had reached its ceiling with the old grit and grind. It needs a year or two to retool for the modern NBA, but I think they have a window to do it with Conley and Gasol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
This has a different feel.

Cavs D was getting dialed in, and the intensity level on both ends of the court was better. Lebron wasn't throwing the ball away and they weren't making lazy cross court passes like they have been in these past two games.

The good news the intensity level could improve and the dumb mistakes can be corrected.

I think they miss Delly- on ball defender PG position, offense disruptor and diving on floor and bringing it every night. They don't have that element. Shumpert brought it for five minutes last night- it lifted the team on that end- Delly gave you 20 mins. of that every night.

Hey it is 2-0. I think Paul George is playing great, the Pacers as whole I think are playing really well. It is bad matchup for them they don't have a Lebron or Kyrie stopper and those two get what they want- it is probably a reason why they appear to be coasting right now.
The Pacers are just bad--bad on offense and worse on defense. Delly was not a good defender. He was overrated based on a game and a half in the Finals. The Cavs should get a real test in the second round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post

Pasons' injury is unfortunate. He would be a big piece for them if healthy. Conley is worth 26+ under the current cap. He's an excellent PG. I would probably take him 6th, after Curry, Harden, Irving, Lillard, and Wall--I think Chris Paul is on the decline, so I wouldn't take him over Conley for multiple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball